Red Sea Led 90

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I'm currently using one Red Sea Led 90 for my 44gal. I have my blues and whites dialed in to a good point but I had a question about moonlight. Is moonlight purely actinic lighting with this unit? Is 65% moonlight too powerful for the corals? My corals seems generally unresponsive to it no matter what percentage it sits at. Those that are closed or open stay that way after the main lights turn off. But I haven't tested it long enough to see any long term effects.

So to recap, I just want to know if 65% moonlight is going to be a stressor or not.

Nemo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do you have it at 65% for? I can’t see it being a stressor as such, my LFS set my reef led 90’s and the moonlight is on for 3 hours and only a maximum of 10%

OP
OP
MohrReefs

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do you have it at 65% for? I can’t see it being a stressor as such, my LFS set my reef led 90’s and the moonlight is on for 3 hours and only a maximum of 10%
Yeah I'm rockin 65% moon for 3 hrs. If its actinic light I could see it possibly not being a huge deal but if it's not actinic I dont want to fry the corals.

Nemo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not too sure if it’s actinic or not hopefully someone with more knowledge can say

zapbap99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i run red sea reef led 90 at 100% blues and 50% whites and 30% moonluight for more pop on a 34 gallon tank lps

zapbap99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but i can honestly say this light sucks lol so im gonna be getting a new one the way they made the shimmer is weird

zapbap99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well yea its not made for rimmed tanks but it works fine on rim just the light output is meh not good

zapbap99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didnt know any better at the time. Is it the overall (blue lol)color or the PAR that's meh?
just the shimmer is so odd on it its osme weird technology they call forgot but i mean the blue looks fine just the where hemo something idk the word shimmer i cant stand

OP
OP
MohrReefs

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone is curious. Red Sea emailed me back and said the following.

"

Ariel
(Red Sea Group)
May 4, 14:07 BST
Good morning Tyler,

Thank you for you contacting us, and I am happy to help with your question.

The moonlight channel of the ReefLEDs is not quite the same as actinic lighting, and is meant to run with lower hue. The standard setting is around 25% intensity, and you can certainly turn the intensity up if you wish. The moon light will have a softer dimmer hue than the white and Reef-spec blue channels - so increasing the instensity you may not see as large of a difference. The ReefLED programming typically run on a schedule of 11 hours (including ramp up/ramp down and moonlight), you can increase the photo period but with caution. Increasing the photo period of blue and white lighting for longer than 8-10 hours can stress corals. I do not have documentation on what longer moonlit periods will do.
"

So they dont know what their own moonlight on their own product will do if you crank it up for increased periods. Lol
Confirmed its NOT actinic though.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back