Red Sea Max 130D - Hoodless and Upgrading to LED

saltycat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone!

I am starting to this hobby with my friend's red sea max 130d. I am trying to put everything together for the aquarium before I start. I upgraded circulation pump to 340 gph high efficiency pump. I bought InTank media for filter. I got the Tunze 9001 protein skimmer. After I put the water inside I realize the temperature went to 83.5 and the problem was the one of the fan is not working inside. I took out the hood and I liked the way it looks like this. What kind of led I need to buy for this tank? Is AI Prime 16 HD or Red Sea Reefled 50 going to be enough for me? I want to make mix aquarium but most of the part that I want is corals. I want to spend around 200 to 300 I can consider used ones too.

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-17 at 1.59.05 AM.jpeg

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump...anyone familiar with this tank size and lighting?

jser388

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope im not too late in this but heres a little story of my RSM 130d

I recently had started the hobby with a fluval evo13.5 about a year or so ago, knowing one day i would upgrade to a larger system.

So i bought bigger things/that would work forward when i did or so i thought. i ran an AI prime 16hd on my evo and thought it would be enough until i got the 130d home and then felt it would need at least a 2 puck or similar design.. my 130d facebook find stated that the light didnt work which was fine... i then started to look into the XR30 style gen 3's/4's for about what youre looking at in price range.

Having or knowing the equipment i did i wanted to link all my equipment together mp10/ and an XR i would purchase. When i got to my LFS to see if they had anything used they told me that reeflink(which i purchased off ebay) was pretty much junk and that it was such a hassle to make everything run on it. so i decided to go with an XR30 gen 5 blue and love it. it spreads out just enough and doesnt look too crazy. i did cut/melted the plastic off the back wall/return chamber with a wood burning iron to have all my hob/XR mount fit and then added a screen mesh top from amazon.

I know the XR Gen 5 is a bit much, but id say a gen 3/4 would also do the trick, or 2 AI Primes if you had them but that would generally be about the same price as a used XR..

I would also add my RSM is mostly all automated hence why i wanted mobius, apex and etc, i work out of town and just cant always be home to tinker :)

Scotti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SaltyCat,

Hope all is well.

I have the same tank you have and I rebuilt the hood everything NEW. I experienced the same issue as you. I spoke to a friend at RED SEA, she told me that the tank typically runs a few degrees hotter then the ambient temp. The T-5s do it.

Once I removed the hood and put the LED light on the tank the temp issue was solved. (Red Sea Led 50)

Question:

I'm thinking about the InTank Basket and the Tunze 9001. Please tell me how you like it and maybe a couple of photos would be cool. Is it Quiet? Do you have the INTank cup for the 9001?

Thank you

Scotty

20210222_060737.jpg

Prince12r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once I removed the hood and put the LED light on the tank the temp issue was solved. (Red Sea Led 50)

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank. Three years now. Did all the upgrades. Removed hood , stock skimmer, stock pumps, added sicce 1550/upgraded 130/130D return pump with all needed plumbing a Tunze 9001 (btw I don’t love the skimmer, skims wet and very sensitive to water level so an ato a must) one AI hydra 26hd yeah prob lil overkill for tank this size but got a good price on it run at 42% intensity one hour 20 min ramp up and down 10 hour cycle. Honestly I thought over three years into it my corals be thriving but not so much.

Back