Red Sea Max e-170 Stocking Plan

joemonkaquat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping to keep this aquarium relatively understocked, and plan to have a mixed reef tank of softies and LPS. Figured I'd check on here about their compatibility and the likelihood of success.

Current Fishlist:
- Valentini Puffer (Seems to be a mixed consensus on how risky these guys can be in a reef tank)
- Longnose Hawkfish

Other Fish I've Considered (Maximum of Two to be Added to Current List)
- Rainford Goby
- Royal Gramma
- Bi-color Blenny
- Blue Assessor

Would definitely appreciate any other recommendations you have to fit into this stocking.

Also curious to hear about any experience with valentini puffers.
- how would inverts like larger snails or a conch fair?
- would freshwater snails be a reasonable part of their diet?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping to keep this aquarium relatively understocked, and plan to have a mixed reef tank of softies and LPS. Figured I'd check on here about their compatibility and the likelihood of success.

Current Fishlist:
- Valentini Puffer (Seems to be a mixed consensus on how risky these guys can be in a reef tank)
- Longnose Hawkfish

- Rainford Goby
- Royal Gramma
- Bi-color Blenny
- Blue Assessor

Would definitely appreciate any other recommendations you have to fit into this stocking.

What is the tank size (Dimensions)?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Current Fishlist:
- Longnose Hawkfish

- Rainford Goby
- Royal Gramma
- Bi-color Blenny
- Blue Assessor

I would ditch the Valentino Puffer as they will most likely need a 3’ tank to be happy long term.
The Hawkfish will probably get rather aggressive so you may not want one of them either - If you don’t mind the aggression then I’d go for this for the red colouring then the Blue Assessor for the countering blue colouration.

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is too small for a puffer or predatory fish, except for a QT.

Stick with nano sized fish in the list. You might later consider a dragonet or similar if you have an established tank.

OP
OP
J

joemonkaquat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is too small for a puffer or predatory fish, except for a QT.

Stick with nano sized fish in the list. You might later consider a dragonet or similar if you have an established tank.
Surprised to hear it’s too small, the tank is 45G and I’ve seen most recommendations at 30, but fair enough

OP
OP
J

joemonkaquat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would ditch the Valentino Puffer as they will most likely need a 3’ tank to be happy long term.
The Hawkfish will probably get rather aggressive so you may not want one of them either - If you don’t mind the aggression then I’d go for this for the red colouring then the Blue Assessor for the countering blue colouration.
Are they aggressive only at feeding times or 24/7? does the size of tank inhabitants have an influence on their aggression?

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surprised to hear it’s too small, the tank is 45G and I’ve seen most recommendations at 30, but fair enough
You might pull off a few fish as they grow, but will likely need to move them or grow tanks with them instead. :)

I believe a Flame Angelfish will qualify for your tank, but its the last fish I would add. Be aware it needs to be able to hide that is not already occupied and will be territorial.

OP
OP
J

joemonkaquat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might pull off a few fish as they grow, but will likely need to move them or grow tanks with them instead. :)

I believe a Flame Angelfish will qualify for your tank, but its the last fish I would add. Be aware it needs to be able to hide that is not already occupied and will be territorial.
Would definitely prefer this tank to house the fish permanently. Although the flame Angel definitely looks nice, considering it can supposedly get up to 15cm, and has a pretty high activity level, I’m not confident it’d be fair to keep that fish in a cube tank.

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I was stating, that one can add larger fish but you'll have to graduate to a larger tank or graduate the fish instead. Yes, the Flame would do best in a Reefer 250 or larger, the 170 will be a tad tight. This however, leaves nano sized fish remaining.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a carpenter's flasher wrasse be too cramped in this style of tank?
Unfortunately yes. Their activity level is the issue instead of the size.
Maybe consider either of these;
Pseudocheilinops ataenia
Wetmorella albofasciata
Wetmorella nigropinnata
Wetmorella tanakai

OP
OP
J

joemonkaquat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My refined stocking list:

- Flame Hawkfish
- Bi-Colour Blenny
- Yellow Assessor
- Purple Firefish

Would appreciate any experience other people have with keeping a flame hawkfish alongside a blenny. Will there be aggression issues? My current scape has quite a few line of sight breaks and caves so I'm hoping that will help compensate.

I was also curious for anybody else who also has a red sea max e-170, what options are their for mechanical filtration? Beyond the included sponge the tank seems pretty limited in this aspect. Are there mounts that can be added for filter socks/floss?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 7.4%
Back