Red Sea Nano *budget* Build

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting another tank and figured I’d document it. Background: my friend found a Red Sea nano for sale for $65 awhile back so he snatched it up. It sat in his office for quite a few months and I decided for $65, I could take it off his hands. It has an ATO, heater, return pump, light blinders and some other small things. This is an ugly tank that needs some good scrubbing down. Tons of spirorbids and salt residue. So cleaning shall be fun...

List of hardware and stocking:
  • Reef octopus skimmer
  • Lights (will go with @noopsyche K7 Pros II)
  • Caribsea sand
  • Dry rock from fellow reefers
Livestock?
Thinking of a species only tank. No idea. Open to suggestions. Was initially thinking nem/clown tank because it’s easy and mostly effortless. Heavily considering octopus. I keep seeing peacock mantis in my LFS. But not sure if I will enjoy the lack of movement. Open to ideas.

Will update as I progress. We always have a big Christmas party at my place so hoping to have it ready before Christmas 2019.

(Day 1)
3607C9B3-6371-4E27-A915-6DE61A831098.jpeg

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Throw the ATO away it’s not reliable. Also check the stand for bowing swelling and rotten fasterns. I had a used red sea nano like this and It it was a total loss when I fully inspected it. Also consider replacing that swivel cover with something, it’s so heavy it actually chipped the glass for me when it swung open.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have this tank. Right now its a mixed reef but its perfect for a pair of fancy clowns and a bunch of nems. When i upgrade, if i cant sell it, ill fill it with bubble tips!

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Throw the ATO away it’s not reliable. Also check the stand for bowing swelling and rotten fasterns. I had a used red sea nano like this and It it was a total loss when I fully inspected it. Also consider replacing that swivel cover with something, it’s so heavy it actually chipped the glass for me when it swung open.
I have lots of inspecting to do. Replacing hinges on the door. I checked and it’s level but will check again when I do a leak test while wet. Thanks for the info. This is my first RS tank. I’ve always preferred building my own but for the price it was hard to turn down. Let’s hope it’s not a lemon!

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of converting my RSR Max nano to an Octopus tank...... I too considered (and decided against) a Mantis.....

Eel, or Angler were my other choices.

saan1wu4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of converting my RSR Max nano to an Octopus tank...... I too considered (and decided against) a Mantis.....

Eel, or Angler were my other choices.

Sounds cool already :D Are you making a lid for the tank then?

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is! I'm glad someone noticed lol ;Happy
I had to learn a lot of Cantonese terms when I picked this hobby back up as most people in my LFS can't speak English. I also had to learn to read a lot of fish and coral names to understand pricing as well.

saan1wu4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to learn a lot of Cantonese terms when I picked this hobby back up as most people in my LFS can't speak English. I also had to learn to read a lot of fish and coral names to understand pricing as well.

Wow that's impressive, learning to read Chinese is TOUGH. You probably know more canto marine terms than I do lol. Growing up overseas, I only know enough for everyday conversation :' )

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's impressive, learning to read Chinese is TOUGH. You probably know more canto marine terms than I do lol. Growing up overseas, I only know enough for everyday conversation :' )
If you’re really interested, it’s not too hard. I find that Chinese terms for marine related things are quite simple. And many terms are literally translated from English. For example, clownfish is siu chou yu

saan1wu4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re really interested, it’s not too hard. I find that Chinese terms for marine related things are quite simple. And many terms are literally translated from English. For example, clownfish is siu chou yu

That's true, if you continuously use the words it'll naturally come to you.
I still have the Chinese version of the DK eyewitness books for Aquarium Fish and Shells from when I was in elementary school. Maybe it's time for a review over this holiday lol
1575428117799.png

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: (Day 3 of cycle)
F41707C5-B731-4E5B-BEC4-F062CF0E6B15.jpeg

I decided to go with LR to help the cycle along. It feels like forever since I’ve cycled a tank and I have to say that this is fun. I wanted to avoid LR but for fish only, I figured why not. Added some LR to the sump as well.

The rockwork will be done later. Still searching for the perfect dry rock and it’s not easy to find.

A question I see asked often is: should I leave lights on or off during cycle. I leave them on. I know people say that lights will only create algae but once you turn them on eventually, you’ll still get algae. It’s part of a tank. Also, since I’m using sand, diatoms are a given. Turning on the lights will help to cycle them through faster. I don’t mind diatoms as they’re short lived anyway. In fact I almost want to increase my photo period before I add livestock.

Info about cycle: I’m using prodibio bacteria biodigest and their biotim which is food for bacteria. Also using zeovit’s zeobak. I believe both are nitrifying bacteria. I’m also adding small pieces of LRS reef frenzy as a source of food for the bacteria to kickstart the cycle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to update this, although not much has happened other than fake reef rock and fish being added. My good buddy Ed who helps manage our reef club - @ylreefer (his build thread here: YLREEFER’s build) gave me a damsel and a dottyback. Cycle is complete but still not sure what to do with this. Got diatoms, bits of pods, hydroids, a limpet and a few other things; hitchhiker phase has commenced.
4A079F13-F4DA-4B7F-B8ED-4B8567B1F9DD.jpeg

I’m heavily considering adding Tonga branch and creating some open space to add corals. Debating if I’ll do softies, LPS and/or SPS. Where I live, it’s hot 8-9 months out of the year and I’d need to set up a chiller. But it looks like I’m going that route. My 40g is pretty full and is a year old now and I can frag off some pieces to add. I’ve just added some rhodactis and xenia from the 40g to test the water and lights. So far, those corals have proven themselves to be cockroaches able to withstand nuclear war. If a meteor ever hits earth, only cockroaches and xenia will survive. And perhaps Keith Richards.

40g
7A423164-B18A-49E6-831B-35A94DAFBC26.jpeg

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting another tank and figured I’d document it. Background: my friend found a Red Sea nano for sale for $65 awhile back so he snatched it up. It sat in his office for quite a few months and I decided for $65, I could take it off his hands. It has an ATO, heater, return pump, light blinders and some other small things. This is an ugly tank that needs some good scrubbing down. Tons of spirorbids and salt residue. So cleaning shall be fun...

List of hardware and stocking:
  • Reef octopus skimmer
  • Lights (will go with @noopsyche K7 Pros II)
  • Caribsea sand
  • Dry rock from fellow reefers
Livestock?
Thinking of a species only tank. No idea. Open to suggestions. Was initially thinking nem/clown tank because it’s easy and mostly effortless. Heavily considering octopus. I keep seeing peacock mantis in my LFS. But not sure if I will enjoy the lack of movement. Open to ideas.

Will update as I progress. We always have a big Christmas party at my place so hoping to have it ready before Christmas 2019.

(Day 1)
3607C9B3-6371-4E27-A915-6DE61A831098.jpeg
Following

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to update this, although not much has happened other than fake reef rock and fish being added. My good buddy Ed who helps manage our reef club - @ylreefer (his build thread here: YLREEFER’s build) gave me a damsel and a dottyback. Cycle is complete but still not sure what to do with this. Got diatoms, bits of pods, hydroids, a limpet and a few other things; hitchhiker phase has commenced.
4A079F13-F4DA-4B7F-B8ED-4B8567B1F9DD.jpeg

I’m heavily considering adding Tonga branch and creating some open space to add corals. Debating if I’ll do softies, LPS and/or SPS. Where I live, it’s hot 8-9 months out of the year and I’d need to set up a chiller. But it looks like I’m going that route. My 40g is pretty full and is a year old now and I can frag off some pieces to add. I’ve just added some rhodactis and xenia from the 40g to test the water and lights. So far, those corals have proven themselves to be cockroaches able to withstand nuclear war. If a meteor ever hits earth, only cockroaches and xenia will survive. And perhaps Keith Richards.

40g
7A423164-B18A-49E6-831B-35A94DAFBC26.jpeg
B
Good to see the kittle guys are happy there . Bro, you know that tank is going to end up with corals in it at some point so there's no use wasting time lol.

Show of hands who thinks this would make a perfect frag tank Do it do it do it. Even a grow out tank it would like nice and you can donate some frags to our club members . I'll be doing this once the 650 has been installed.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.5%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.5%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 99 49.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back