Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good!

Sordfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank finally cycled after about 23 days. I waited an additional 2 days while Ammonia and Nitrites were at 0 and then added 2 clown fishes. So far so good. Had them about a week now. My Nitrates were high (5PPM) so I performed a 20% water change to see if that brings down the levels. Is it safe to add more fishes or just wait until the Nitrates drop some more?
1C9CF0CD-BF48-4329-BEA4-3AAA8CB05FFE_1_105_c.jpeg
It is a good idea to wait a week or two after you add fish. This allows the beneficial bacteria to adjust to the new bio load. Also, are you quarantining your fish? Saltwater fish can carry a lot of diseases. If you or your lfs are not doing a quarantine, eacy time you add new fish you take a risk with the health of all the fish in your tank, not just the newcomer. Some people are ok with this risk. Others are not.

OP
OP
nmaragh18

nmaragh18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a good idea to wait a week or two after you add fish. This allows the beneficial bacteria to adjust to the new bio load. Also, are you quarantining your fish? Saltwater fish can carry a lot of diseases. If you or your lfs are not doing a quarantine, eacy time you add new fish you take a risk with the health of all the fish in your tank, not just the newcomer. Some people are ok with this risk. Others are not.
Thank you Sordfish for your response. Honestly I'm not currently quarantining my fish but plan to buy fishes that are already quarantined (Divers Den or some other online retailer)

OP
OP
nmaragh18

nmaragh18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got 2 MP40 in back and Gyre XF230 in front. Red Sea 45 will be way too much. I tried it. lol. 25 will be good. Just switched out gyre to 2 MP10. All MP40 and MP10 are on Reef Crest mode at 40%. perfect flow now, just wire showing in front is ugly
Aznreef99,
Did you have the reefwave 45/25 placed horizontally at the back or just the front? Also how many of the Reefwave 25 did you have?

aznreef99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aznreef99,
Did you have the reefwave 45/25 placed horizontally at the back or just the front? Also how many of the Reefwave 25 did you have?
i have 2 MP40 on the back on each side of the overflow box and Red Sea 45 on the front hang vertically. I just replaced the RS 45 with another MP40. all reef crest modes at 40%. perfect flow now.

OP
OP
nmaragh18

nmaragh18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have 2 MP40 on the back on each side of the overflow box and Red Sea 45 on the front hang vertically. I just replaced the RS 45 with another MP40. all reef crest modes at 40%. perfect flow now.
Do you think I could get away with 2 of the 25 on the back set horizontally? I don’t plan to do any SPS corals anytime in the near future. This is my first tank. Trying to take it slow and learn. Thank you again for your input and expertise.

aznreef99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think I could get away with 2 of the 25 on the back set horizontally? I don’t plan to do any SPS corals anytime in the near future. This is my first tank. Trying to take it slow and learn. Thank you again for your input and expertise.
you will be fine with that if
you don’t mind the film residue on top of water column in front of
your tank that will get trap there. down side to tanks like ours is flow issues

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank finally cycled after about 23 days. I waited an additional 2 days while Ammonia and Nitrites were at 0 and then added 2 clown fishes. So far so good. Had them about a week now. My Nitrates were high (5PPM) so I performed a 20% water change to see if that brings down the levels. Is it safe to add more fishes or just wait until the Nitrates drop some more?
1C9CF0CD-BF48-4329-BEA4-3AAA8CB05FFE_1_105_c.jpeg
Nice tank, just interested in knowing what nitrate level you are aiming to achieve? I would describe 5ppm as good not high.

OP
OP
nmaragh18

nmaragh18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank, just interested in knowing what nitrate level you are aiming to achieve? I would describe 5ppm as good not high.
Ludders, After doing more research, I do agree 5 is good enough. The tank is definitely cycled now and I a few fishes in it. Nitrates have jumped up to about 7 ppm. Thanks for your response

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral needs low nutrients like you have there to thrive and if your nutrients are too low you'll run into other problems such as dinoflagellates and nobody wants that.

Good luck with the build and enjoy.

OP
OP
nmaragh18

nmaragh18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral needs low nutrients like you have there to thrive and if your nutrients are too low you'll run into other problems such as dinoflagellates and nobody wants that.

Good luck with the build and enjoy.
Thank you again.

OP
OP
nmaragh18

nmaragh18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update on the tank. Added 1 RS LED90 Light at 20% intensity throughout the day(more lights will be added later). Also started a refugium running with the Kessil H80 Light that runs opposite to the Display light.

Live stock includes:-
2- Clown Fishes
1- Leopard Wrasse
1-6 Line Wrasse
1 - Twin Spot Wrasse - Missing since the 1st day added. Going on 2 months now
1-Pajama Cardinal
1-Long Nose Hawkfish
1-Flame Hawkfish
1- Blue Hippo Tang
1 - Nasso Tang
1 - Cleaner Shrimp
2 - Conchs

Added 1 small ZOA frag and also a Galaxea Frag.
Started small ZOA Garden
Added 1 Colony of Torch
Added 1 small colony of frogspawn
Added a bubble Tip Anenome
Added small colony of Alevopora
Added small Hammer

P.S:- Recording without a filter does not do justice to how the colors really look on the tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nmaragh18

nmaragh18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cant see the video man.
I love the look of 6 line wrasses but they can be mean keep an eye on him when introducing new fish.
Funny enough, its the flame hawkfish that bullied the 6-line for like 2 days but now they are fine.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back