Red Sea Peninsula 650 Build

vic5hands

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refugium, Eshopps S-300 Skimmer, Neptune ATK to supplement Red Sea's RO reservoir

23 Peninsula Sump and Refugium.jpg

What are the brown blocks in the sump?

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love these build threads, it is super sweet to see how a tank progresses over time! Keep us informed!
-Kevin

OP
OP
A_Taylor58

A_Taylor58

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few current pics as the tank begins to cycle. The water is starting to clear up, the blue lights make it a challenge to get an accurate photo.

Any tips?

24 Tank Cycling 1.jpg

25 Tank Cycling 2.jpg

26 Tank Cycling 3.jpg

OP
OP
A_Taylor58

A_Taylor58

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting a few diatoms on the sand, which I believe is a good sign that the new tank is cycling well.

27 Diatoms.jpeg

OP
OP
A_Taylor58

A_Taylor58

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The diatom outbreak only last a few days. All cleared up now. After using @AlgaeBarn Turbo Start 900, which calls for 5 days without the skimmer and UV, I fired that back up a few days ago and the skimmer is just going plain crazy.

I know it's supposed to foam, even foam a lot, at first (only been running a few days), but this seems excessive. It's been going for almost two days now, so I'm hoping it breaks in soon. Hoping this is due to the new tank, new skimmer, loads of good bacteria from the live rock, live sand, Quick Start nitrifying bacteria and Turbo Start 900, but man that's a lot of foam.

Last night I tried a few things. I raised the skimmer up about 4 inches, seemed to help. Also did a 10 gallon water change connecting a hose directly to the skimmer outlet tube. Both things seemed to help but it's still going crazy.

Any tips would be helpful.

28 Skimmer Fury.jpeg

Rob.B.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The diatom outbreak only last a few days. All cleared up now. After using @AlgaeBarn Turbo Start 900, which calls for 5 days without the skimmer and UV, I fired that back up a few days ago and the skimmer is just going plain crazy.

I know it's supposed to foam, even foam a lot, at first (only been running a few days), but this seems excessive. It's been going for almost two days now, so I'm hoping it breaks in soon. Hoping this is due to the new tank, new skimmer, loads of good bacteria from the live rock, live sand, Quick Start nitrifying bacteria and Turbo Start 900, but man that's a lot of foam.

Last night I tried a few things. I raised the skimmer up about 4 inches, seemed to help. Also did a 10 gallon water change connecting a hose directly to the skimmer outlet tube. Both things seemed to help but it's still going crazy.

Any tips would be helpful.

28 Skimmer Fury.jpeg

Needs a major air adjustment that's a wet skim too much flow... I had the same problem with my SWC Skimmer...

I switched to an ATI power one and it solved all my issues, obviously due to the D/C pump.. It gave me greater ability to control..

OP
OP
A_Taylor58

A_Taylor58

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Needs a major air adjustment that's a wet skim too much flow... I had the same problem with my SWC Skimmer...

I switched to an ATI power one and it solved all my issues, obviously due to the D/C pump.. It gave me greater ability to control..
So are you suggesting to limit the air flow? I closed it off and it makes a loud noise but is that ok while it's breaking in? Thanks!

Rob.B.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are you suggesting to limit the air flow? I closed it off and it makes a loud noise but is that ok while it's breaking in? Thanks!

I would defiantly reduce the air flow, my ATI has a silencer on it so it's muffled at best.

The SWC I modified a little air valve - I wrapped the end with plumbers tape and shoved it in the air intake pipe.

I know totally ghetto - but it works like a charm.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@A_Taylor58 Can we get some updates on this peninsula tank? Are you growing chaeto from Algae Barn? You must have added some fish by now?

I did a search here on Reef2Reef for Eshopps Skimmers and found your build thread. I am very interested in how loud (or quiet) your skimmer's Sicce PSK 1200 pump is. I'm interested in getting a skimmer of a different brand with a same make of pump from the same model line-up just a smaller version. It's a Red Sea Reefer Skimmer and here's a video of the skimmer's debut and introduction. Please shoot me a PM or reply to this post in your thread.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back