Red sea peninsula 650

talal reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys , never been a part of a forum before so iam excited for this new experience i want to share with you my dream tank build i have been in the hobby for a while in a 250 reefer and i am returning with a big upgrade

my tank is a red sea peninsula 650
Equipment
1- 2 ATI straton LED
2- return pump reef octopus v8
3- reef octopus regal 200 in sss
skimmer addons :
Automatic Skimmer Cleaner (ANC) with 200 Lid - Reef Octopus
Davey Jones Skimmate Locker Large (I/O minidin-8) - Avast Marine

4- neptune apex
5-neptune trident
6-neptune 2 wavemakers
7-neptune autotopoff
8- neptune doser two pumps
9- neptune macro algea lights
10- two ehiem auto feeders
11- schego titanium heater 600 watts
12- ati 6 pumps doser

aquascape
Reel reef rock
Aquaroche
Sand i haven’t decided yet
Method
Its gonna be a triton method tank

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

Chee-tomorpha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I also had a 250 and upgraded recently too. I got a peninsula 500 though. Started my build on it just last week. Looking forward to your build as well.

At the moment I'm researching tank covers, plumbing design, and DIY flow meters that could be integrated into the Hydros Control 4.

OP
OP
talal reefer

talal reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I also had a 250 and upgraded recently too. I got a peninsula 500 though. Started my build on it just last week. Looking forward to your build as well.

At the moment I'm researching tank covers, plumbing design, and DIY flow meters that could be integrated into the Hydros Control 4.
i wanted the 500 first but it wasnt in stock so i just went for it ! iam bad at plumbing and iam trying to not over complecate stuff tbh , not gonna use reactors ( maybe a gfo reactor when needed ) also no socks but main filtration is gonna be rock sand refuguim skimmer and a carbon bag in the sump also no water changes full triton method

Chee-tomorpha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted the 650 but received the 500 as a father's day gift from my wife and kids. Good thing though, as a 650 would have force some structural reinforcements to be made on our first floor.

I tried doing no socks on the 250. It worked great when I had a refugium baffle installed for the sump area. It helped with the amphipod population. However I found that it collected so much detritus in the media I had in the refugium section that it probably contributed to my mushrooms taking over in the DT. In retrospect, I should have not put media to allow detritus collection in the refugium section.

For my new build I went with a ReefMat though. I was sold on the replacement interval of 3+ months and being fully automatic. I change socks every 3 days on the 250 and wash them once a week. Im hopeful this thing will reduce maintenance.

OP
OP
talal reefer

talal reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted the 650 but received the 500 as a father's day gift from my wife and kids. Good thing though, as a 650 would have force some structural reinforcements to be made on our first floor.

I tried doing no socks on the 250. It worked great when I had a refugium baffle installed for the sump area. It helped with the amphipod population. However I found that it collected so much detritus in the media I had in the refugium section that it probably contributed to my mushrooms taking over in the DT. In retrospect, I should have not put media to allow detritus collection in the refugium section.

For my new build I went with a ReefMat though. I was sold on the replacement interval of 3+ months and being fully automatic. I change socks every 3 days on the 250 and wash them once a week. Im hopeful this thing will reduce maintenance.
i think in triton method i will need to clean my sump few times a year iam going for almost full automation i have drilled into my walls to throw all my waste from trident skimmer cup etc into the pipes directly and input of RO/DI coming from the bathroom too for the skimmer i have a neck cleaner and waste collector that pumps waste into my sewage system. my goal with this tank is minimal maintance this is why i got the apex

my chores after the tank becomes established are gonna be :
1- refill elements kh ca mg core 7 and trace elemnts
2- testing nirate and phosphate only since all other paramters are handled by apex trident and triton icp test
3- clean sump few times a year
4-put carbon and gfo as needed
5-trim corals and harvest refugium

this is my plan hopefully it can work remove hassle and just enjoy the tank

Chee-tomorpha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard of the triton method and watched the whole series on BRS. Before my 250 tank rebuild I got to a point where I didn't do water changes at all. I just made sure to top off and check on the doser to make sure was working properly.

I will be following your build and progress.

OP
OP
talal reefer

talal reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice I have the 650 as well. you are gonna love it!
nice scape BTW. :D
thank you i have made adjustments on the aquascape a bit and cemented the parts i was worried about with a genorous amount of marco rock cement , all my shipments are coming along very nicly they will start arriving today , tommorow and after tommorow , i expect to have it cycled this week since i upgraded my ro unti to a 200 gallon per day one and got dr tims one ad only ( 240 gallon)

OP
OP
talal reefer

talal reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank update !!!

I have cycled my tank with dr tim one and only i was shocked how fast this stuff works i have shipped it from the usa to kuwait in the searing heat and nothing happened to it !! Anyways been testing my ammonia nitrite and nitrates and this bacteria is insane i had a small bacterial bloom and it went away my ammonia and nitrite are zero and nitrates 0.5-0.2 i have only a heater ruturn pump and carbon in with some really fine socks i have used live sand from carib sea and added ammonia drops
no lights just the sun light
46B05042-F685-4A37-951A-485E617455FD.jpeg

this is the bloom above

i added 7 small chromis with a doctor wrasse
And a small clean up crew
2 cleaner shrimp
White legged hermits
Nassarius snail
Bumble bee snails
I will expand the cleanup crew as the tank matures
Iam still monitoring ammonia and nitrite levels

somthing amazing happened today late at night found one of my snails spawning !!!

AC0C6E58-C424-479C-83C5-40B5ECAA4B5F.jpeg

i have also drilled into my cabnet and water sealed it with epoxy to run skimate from skimmer to skimmer locket
F0DD3032-0063-47C7-BD0C-DEE87EBC0291.jpeg

how do i attach vids here ?
Ps : bad at photography
He guys if i want to update you do i edit my post or post new posts ?
9B873BD4-3FBF-4B84-B8C4-53B2FC2FF480.jpeg

icp and ndoc triton tests will be sent next week to check my water chemistry

Last edited:

Chee-tomorpha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! I'm right behind you with my 500.

I've tried Dr. Tim's in my 250 rebuild, it worked for me as well. I didn't reuse any of my old rock since I was afraid of mushrooms and GSP taking over again.

I'll be trying out Red Sea's reef mature on mine though, will see how it goes.

OP
OP
talal reefer

talal reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! I'm right behind you with my 500.

I've tried Dr. Tim's in my 250 rebuild, it worked for me as well. I didn't reuse any of my old rock since I was afraid of mushrooms and GSP taking over again.

I'll be trying out Red Sea's reef mature on mine though, will see how it goes.
let me know how it works with u im gonna send icp and ndoc in a week to see where i stand on my water chemistry

OP
OP
talal reefer

talal reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank update !!
tank is running smoothly all of the equipment is on except for dosers
Ammonia nitrite kh ca mg ph temp and salinity are all perfect
Iam dosing kh ca and mg as needed
Nitrate and phosphates are low and i want to raise them a bit

iam feeding fish 3 times a day two portions of pellets (tdo and hikari) and a cube of frozen food ( mussels , pods with garlic , krill , and a homemade mix )

I will be sending icp and ndoc tests to triton tomorrow

corals look happy
I will leave you some pics
E4501EA6-F1D1-4BB0-9775-9F631FD7414D.jpeg
487D0C55-7668-4EA8-9A98-DD0947BA9D34.jpeg
83557C73-1A61-4330-A633-61CAD2DE6B53.jpeg
2ED0F786-2737-4F23-8A30-F8F449487D56.jpeg
8029ACA5-612C-4F25-B235-F74DF06071BC.jpeg
C3A8AF8F-D6C2-4BF1-B3A9-1144C28ACD75.jpeg
CDDFFE14-7A90-4911-B50A-2500247BA21E.jpeg
61B96A1F-BBBF-4BC6-9FC1-7EE73A7B45E4.jpeg
F091E384-2147-4004-A9A4-CBA657B83E60.jpeg

Last edited:

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 16.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 51 44.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back