Red Sea Pro Test Kit

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I got the whole kit, to really try to do better with reading my levels...was using API prior. but, I cannot figure out how to read the titration. like, if I use all but the last 4 lines of something...how much is that? Certainly I cannot be the only one that this has confused. :oops: if anyone can help me understand, how to read this, and oh! the other question....do I keep the tip on to fill the syringe? Or fill the syringe and then put the tip on? I am so frustrated. I tried to You Tube it and google but it's not clear and they go so fast. Please, if anyone has an easy way to explain this, I would greatly appreciate it :)

NeptuneRjo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.0 minus the final number is how much you used.

If you start at 1 and end up at .4 you've use .6 of the titrant.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always keep the tip on a syringe and ignore all air gaps inside it. Always measure at the end of the plunger.

This shows how to read a syringe correctly:

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's super helpful! thanks! been trying to not waste but yet that's what's happening, because I can't figure it out. thank you!!

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, the tip on the syringe is to be left on, you'll never need to take it off :)
so if I leave it on, and the solution goes to .08....that's 0.9? or 1.0? ok. I need to go look at that link that was posted. I feel so dumb...

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so if I leave it on, and the solution goes to .08....that's 0.9? or 1.0? ok. I need to go look at that link that was posted. I feel so dumb...

Ignore the solution. Only look at the plunger.

The link I posted makes it very clear.

FWIW, there does not need to ever be any fluid showing in the syringe if you use a huge tip, and it works perfectly.

saullman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I’m just learning how to use the same Red Sea test kit as well. I’ve also just been using api for PH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Now I am starting to test for calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity in my 2 yr old tank. My first Red Sea foundation pro test kit had a bad alkalinity test kit so when testing the reagent wasn’t changing to the right color. I replaced the one test kit and everything is much better.

I was also confused when reading the results if I read from the actual tip of the plunger (where it comes to a point) or from the bottom line (above the tip) for the results?

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I’m just learning how to use the same Red Sea test kit as well. I’ve also just been using api for PH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Now I am starting to test for calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity in my 2 yr old tank. My first Red Sea foundation pro test kit had a bad alkalinity test kit so when testing the reagent wasn’t changing to the right color. I replaced the one test kit and everything is much better.

I was also confused when reading the results if I read from the actual tip of the plunger (where it comes to a point) or from the bottom line (above the tip) for the results?
well, apparently 30 years in medical, hasn't helped me. of course, I worked surgery so I never used them. but I obviously can't read one. I went through the link that was posted...which is pages long, and I feel more confused now. ?? this is probably so incredibly simple, and I am over thinking it. No idea. but now I have to walk away from this and cry lol

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, apparently 30 years in medical, hasn't helped me. of course, I worked surgery so I never used them. but I obviously can't read one. I went through the link that was posted...which is pages long, and I feel more confused now. ?? this is probably so incredibly simple, and I am over thinking it. No idea. but now I have to walk away from this and cry lol

In case you got lost, here's the critical posts from my link:

I have just drawn tank water into a syringe with a tip (shown below, including a blowup of the barrel). The blue coloration shows where the fluid is.

When I started to draw fluid in, the tip and syringe were empty and the plunger was all the way in. Now I am going to dispense the fluid into my test vial.

How much fluid will be dispensed by pressing the plunger all the way back in?

A. 3.6 mL
B. 2.9 mL
C. 2.2 mL
D. 1.6 mL
E. Cannot be determined because of the air present

Good luck!

Picture4.png

And the answer is...B. 2.9 mL

Here's how to think about how a syringe works:

When the plunger is pushed all the way in, the leading edge of the plunger aligns with the zero mL marking. That is true of nearly every syringe I've seen. When you begin to use it, the tip and barrel are empty, with the tip containing air and the barrel occupied by the plunger.

As you draw back the plunger with the tip in a liquid, the plunger creates a vacuum between it and the liquid, drawing in the liquid. The movement of the plunger draws in exactly the amount of liquid equal in volume to the travel of the plunger backwards (or upwards). So you can track how much fluid is taken up exactly by the travel of the plunger against the volume markings, regardless of what you see with the fluid (assuming it is functioning properly).

Some of the drawn in liquid will be in the tip, and some (or perhaps none, if it is all in the tip) will be in the barrel of the syringe. If the volume of the tip is larger than the volume indicated by the movement of the plunger, none will show in the barrel. Many modern pipettes work this way to avoid contaminating the barrel of the device. The device stays clean and the tip is discarded after each use.

Now, when you go to dispense the liquid, the plunger is pushed in, and all of the liquid is dispensed and the air is pushed back into the tip.

If you mistakenly tipped the syringe upward during dispensing, and blew out the air before the liquid, then when you push the plunger all the way in, there will still be liquid in the tip, and you probably won't know how much so you end up with a mismeasurement.

In the medical world, it can be super important to not inject air into a patient's bloodstream. In that case, the syringe must first be overfilled. It is then tipped up and all of the air blown out and some liquid may be blown out until the end of the plunger is exactly aligned with the volume marking you want to dispense. The syringe in total now contains the amount you want to inject, plus the volume of the the needle. Then you inject and when done, the needle is still full of liquid in the exact amount as before injection, and like before, the amount dispensed is exactly determined by the movement of the plunger. So this situation is no different except that you start and end with a full tip/needle. In a non-injection setting, you start and end with an air-filled tip.

So it doesn't matter how much liquid you see in the barrel. Only the movement of the plunger is important, whatever the use.

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case you got lost, here's the critical posts from my link:

I have just drawn tank water into a syringe with a tip (shown below, including a blowup of the barrel). The blue coloration shows where the fluid is.

When I started to draw fluid in, the tip and syringe were empty and the plunger was all the way in. Now I am going to dispense the fluid into my test vial.

How much fluid will be dispensed by pressing the plunger all the way back in?

A. 3.6 mL
B. 2.9 mL
C. 2.2 mL
D. 1.6 mL
E. Cannot be determined because of the air present

Good luck!

Picture4.png

And the answer is...B. 2.9 mL

Here's how to think about how a syringe works:

When the plunger is pushed all the way in, the leading edge of the plunger aligns with the zero mL marking. That is true of nearly every syringe I've seen. When you begin to use it, the tip and barrel are empty, with the tip containing air and the barrel occupied by the plunger.

As you draw back the plunger with the tip in a liquid, the plunger creates a vacuum between it and the liquid, drawing in the liquid. The movement of the plunger draws in exactly the amount of liquid equal in volume to the travel of the plunger backwards (or upwards). So you can track how much fluid is taken up exactly by the travel of the plunger against the volume markings, regardless of what you see with the fluid (assuming it is functioning properly).

Some of the drawn in liquid will be in the tip, and some (or perhaps none, if it is all in the tip) will be in the barrel of the syringe. If the volume of the tip is larger than the volume indicated by the movement of the plunger, none will show in the barrel. Many modern pipettes work this way to avoid contaminating the barrel of the device. The device stays clean and the tip is discarded after each use.

Now, when you go to dispense the liquid, the plunger is pushed in, and all of the liquid is dispensed and the air is pushed back into the tip.

If you mistakenly tipped the syringe upward during dispensing, and blew out the air before the liquid, then when you push the plunger all the way in, there will still be liquid in the tip, and you probably won't know how much so you end up with a mismeasurement.

In the medical world, it can be super important to not inject air into a patient's bloodstream. In that case, the syringe must first be overfilled. It is then tipped up and all of the air blown out and some liquid may be blown out until the end of the plunger is exactly aligned with the volume marking you want to dispense. The syringe in total now contains the amount you want to inject, plus the volume of the the needle. Then you inject and when done, the needle is still full of liquid in the exact amount as before injection, and like before, the amount dispensed is exactly determined by the movement of the plunger. So this situation is no different except that you start and end with a full tip/needle. In a non-injection setting, you start and end with an air-filled tip.

So it doesn't matter how much liquid you see in the barrel. Only the movement of the plunger is important, whatever the use.
I think I get it now...I'm going to re test later...and see if it makes more sense when I read it and look at the card. I am also going to get a syringe that reads opposite. that'll help a lot. something about looking at it "backwards" is tripping me up I think. Thank You so SO much for posting this though

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I get it now...I'm going to re test later...and see if it makes more sense when I read it and look at the card. I am also going to get a syringe that reads opposite. that'll help a lot. something about looking at it "backwards" is tripping me up I think. Thank You so SO much for posting this though

You're welcome.

Happy Reefing. :)

saullman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That actually helped a lot...I think I am going to go to the pharmacy, and grab a few syringes that read the other direction. that may help a lot!
Yes, I really need those syringes. Thanks for telling me. I didn't know that I can just pick some up from the local pharmacy. My question is will the 3 different colored tips fit on the end of the new syringes?

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I really need those syringes. Thanks for telling me. I didn't know that I can just pick some up from the local pharmacy. My question is will the 3 different colored tips fit on the end of the new syringes?
the ones I got, do not. so, I am going to work to switch my brain around to figure out the ones that came with the kit....that or not use the tips...not sure that will work.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 35 42.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 41 50.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 6 7.3%
Back