Red Sea Reef Mature – something feels wrong...

gustavviklund

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am on day 14 of using Red Sea's Reef Mature program and I feel like something isn't right. First of all, I haven't had any algae at all and the manual said I should expect it to appear around day 3-4. Total ammonia is at 0.2, nitrite at 0.4 and nitrate 50. pH is a little low as well (7.8). If anyone has tried Reef Mature, please help. The tank is a Red Sea Max Nano Peninsula (100 liters)

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think a brand new tank is going to see algae growth in the first 3-4 days regardless of additive. That kit is pretty meh to me. The cycling bacteria is good to have, but you shouldn't need to dose NoPox in a brand new tank, the kH coralline buffer seems like nonsense and the bacto start isn't doing anything a pinch of fish food or a shrimp cannot.

Don't bother testing nitrate until your nitrite goes down. The .2 ammonia is likely a false reading if the starter bac did its job.

@brandon429 has RS Nitro Bac been vetted?

OP
OP
gustavviklund

gustavviklund

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia is now somewhere between 0-0.1, nitrite 0.2 and nitrate 20. I think i can see some detritus as well. Is this a good sign?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back