Red Sea Reefer 170 Build

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto on the good ideas.

Going to move at least my primary heater to overflow.

I have the diamond bits and some pieces for drilling the ATO, standpipe is a good idea. Not sure, though as I don't use a sock at all. Standpipe takes up more room. It's cleaner though, so we'll see.

OP
OP
Blitheran

Blitheran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stalking..err following ;)

Love the way you did the standpipe in the Fuge. I did the normal 2 holes on the one side and its a bit harder to tune without making noise.

I have no idea why I didn't think of this. I am going to steal the idea as well ;) I agree the sump is small enough as is, need all the room we can get.

A slight benefit is that if our returns ever die, in theory having a box with warm water in it, should help keep the tank temp from going down super fast.
Thank you sir! I wish I would have gone a bit bigger on the stand pipe.. but it works! Yea, the heater is huge so I am
Happy how it fit in the back of the tank. I can even fit another 1 or 2!

OP
OP
Blitheran

Blitheran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto on the good ideas.

Going to move at least my primary heater to overflow.

I have the diamond bits and some pieces for drilling the ATO, standpipe is a good idea. Not sure, though as I don't use a sock at all. Standpipe takes up more room. It's cleaner though, so we'll see.
Thank you! Defiantly make stand bigger than the intake, if I could do it again I would go with a 1/2inch intake and 1inch drain

OP
OP
Blitheran

Blitheran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update!

Tank is still chugging along. Acros are slowly starting to color up. I did purchase a few more frags from the WWC live auction sale! 4 to be exact which I will share once received!

Tank parameters are slowly getting into my desired range. I am aiming for 8.5 alk
420-450 cal and mag is whatever I dose for. Mainly focused on alk. I dose alk and calcium in equal parts so what ever my alk is needed to be dosed I dose the exact same for calcium.
7982E8AB-8828-4F77-B728-F25F092CE3D6.png

Alk is slowly getting into my desired range you can see how I am slowly adding to get to the range I want but I am also fighting my tank soaking up those nutrients.

Refugium is doing awesome! surprisedly the cheap $8 pump in my ato/ fuge is keeping my cheato in a constant tumble and from what I can tell it is growing! Super happy about that. Never been successful with cheato. Gonna need to start pulling the cheato out!

Just did a nice water change and tank whites are on here is a pic.
743CA402-C3A1-41C7-A849-9F1E67D2FD76.jpeg

OP
OP
Blitheran

Blitheran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D1BD2398-D869-4469-8681-4BA6013E2419.jpeg

So I am happy with two MP-10s but I feel as though I need a little bit more flow.. I am debating between adding a third mp-10 or maybe adding a gyre 1k.. not quite sure yet. The flow is good but I don’t feel it is “varried” enough. I’ve also debated on getting an mp-40 just to have that extra kick in wave power. If anyone has any thoughts that would be great!

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two MP-10s are good but you are correct on the need to mix it up.

Watch this video. I copied this guys program and it's awesome.

My polyps are dancing on the SPS today. I don't currently want more flow. I would get it if I needed it.

You would need a Neptune, and not sure if that is what you use.

OP
OP
Blitheran

Blitheran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my ato fuge is over run with growth! I have posted in selling threads but no takers so I will
have to toss it, since it needs pruning! Completely stopped tumbling!! $15 localy a jam pack bag of cheato! If anyone wants any!
89609357-D586-4AF3-84EA-CCF1ABAED127.jpeg
3706B533-942B-4C62-9AEC-2B99BFB21EE9.jpeg

OP
OP
Blitheran

Blitheran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two MP-10s are good but you are correct on the need to mix it up.

Watch this video. I copied this guys program and it's awesome.

My polyps are dancing on the SPS today. I don't currently want more flow. I would get it if I needed it.

You would need a Neptune, and not sure if that is what you use.

I have watched that video but if you go through his channel he added 2 gyres...

OP
OP
Blitheran

Blitheran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next mission I have is to find two neptune apex DOS! After my huge fiasco with a different wifi loser where i ended up having to file a claim with paypal to get my money back.

I have an apex why not use the DOS! Since my all and cal consumption is up to 5.7ml a day i need to look fast!

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a bottle of Brightwell Neophos around just for that possibility. Same with Nitrates. Glad you caught it. Fuge is obviously working!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blitheran

Blitheran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a bottle of Brightwell Neophos around just for that possibility. Same with Nitrates. Glad you caught it. Fuge is obviously working!
Thanks! Yea I need high nutrient exporting with this tank because I want to feed the corals every night that would be the goal. Thats why I only have three fish.

Alex C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome I just picked up a 170 so I will be following!

OP
OP
Blitheran

Blitheran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well crap... I might have caught montipora eat nudis... I noticed small white spots a couple of days ago on my monti, it slowly started to increase. I took the safe route and dipped it in bayer for 15min and then freshwater dipped it in water to help remove bayer and any last pests... lets see how this helps!!

7B1578BA-D00A-44AF-997A-C0D49AA8F189.jpeg 050FFA10-8D76-4341-86F9-5DAC6D082F70.jpeg

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 53.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.3%
Back