OP
OP
Blitheran

Blitheran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried modifying my lighting schedule which ended up burning some of my acros, since switched it back. Still going to maintain the Mp40s at 40% max speed compared to 70%

OP
OP
Blitheran

Blitheran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is doing well, still struggling to balance out my nutrients. I have tweaking around with dosing nitrate and phosphate. I recently ran a heavy dino regimen which helped bring my nutrients very low but all it did was pale out my sps. I am starting to believe in and when I see other reefers that algae is just part of the reef. I need to keep the reef dirty to keep the sps happy. I am defiantly getting colors back from dosing nitrates. I just purchased the easyreefSPS so gonna start dosing that daily and see how it goes. Gonna have to clean the tank of algae weekly or may try and invest in a beefy clean up crew to keep the algae at bay. Still tweaking things. I would also like dose aminos but all that seems to do is spark cyano.

I recently decommissioned my refugium. I bought a ClearWater 50 algae srubber. Cheato was a pain to keep alive, going to try a simpler approach and keep a simpler algae which doesnt require a ton of work to keep alive. We will see how that goes.

Recently sent in a triton ICP test and here are my results

AB Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too funny I just typed in Red Sea Reefer 170 on youtube and found your channel. Trying to figure out where I want to place a mp10... I have a gyre but I'm getting cyano in the dead spots.

OP
OP
Blitheran

Blitheran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too funny I just typed in Red Sea Reefer 170 on youtube and found your channel. Trying to figure out where I want to place a mp10... I have a gyre but I'm getting cyano in the dead spots.
Mp-10 is great pump! Happy to have you find my videos. I have had lots of ups and downs and constantly trying new things to see what fits. Right now I am doing zeovit. Gonna stick with it and see how it works as it fits my style of tank and maintenance routine.

AB Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mp-10 is great pump! Happy to have you find my videos. I have had lots of ups and downs and constantly trying new things to see what fits. Right now I am doing zeovit. Gonna stick with it and see how it works as it fits my style of tank and maintenance routine.

My tank I'm currently trying to only do black widow nems in it and have the rock covered in them one day is what I'm thinking. Should be pretty cool looking! I have my first 2 clowns in that tank that I've ever owned, so made them a special tank just for them.

OP
OP
Blitheran

Blitheran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank I'm currently trying to only do black widow nems in it and have the rock covered in them one day is what I'm thinking. Should be pretty cool looking! I have my first 2 clowns in that tank that I've ever owned, so made them a special tank just for them.
Ohh that sounds cool! Anemone tanks are very cool and have lots of movement!

OP
OP
Blitheran

Blitheran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is doing well. I need to update this page soon. Currently a full time student, also trying to pass some testing for a full time position soooooo trying to juggle both of those obligations blah blah blah!

here are updated pics of the tank in the mean time

OP
OP
Blitheran

Blitheran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
903B5D67-7085-48BF-8A0A-5218074089E0.jpeg
BE9284A2-3CBA-4096-9C8B-6271C1216BA0.jpeg

OP
OP
Blitheran

Blitheran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright I have WAY to much free time. Being that I am a full time student and everything is now online I have nothing to do (not really). With that said I want to talk about my tank and the problems of the "first year syndrome".

Ya ever hear someone say something, for example like "the first year of a bare bottom is always the hardest" and you think to your self "how hard could it be" well they are definitely not kidding. Wow is this a tough road and I am still in it. I have pretty much been battling brown algae (dinos) and cyano. I believe it all steamed from my mentality of I need to have metric media, I need a skimmer, I need a refugium, I need very few fish, I need minimal rock. Essentially I needed to adopt the K.I.S.S. method when it comes to reefing and if ever in the future I will always start VERY simple and add what I need, not what I "think" I need.

The tank itself has started to hit a stride, now I can't determine exactly what is underlying factor in saying yes this what did it but rather a combination of multiple things to get me to where I am now.

I stopped testing nitrate and phosphate everyday. I tested phosphate more than I did alkalinity. I was bottoming out my nutrients left and right. I could not keep phosphates present in my system. What I did to amend my problem, get more fish. Having only three in my red sea reefer 170 proved to be my underlying problem. I needed more fish poop. So I bought a ton of fish only to discover that my bully sixtine was killing them all off, so I captured him and banished him to the sump where he will living out the rest of his days, I feed very heavily and have no fear he will be able to get food. I also started feeding A TON more. I feed a mixture of New life spectrum and reef roids in a AFS in the sump to ensure no food gets directly plummeted down the overflow and it looks way cleaner. I feed three times with the AFS, 9am 12 pm and 3pm This ensures that they are eating a ton and now the pellets if any don't get eaten release a little phosphate which has proven successful. I also feed a meaty mixture of miss, brine and frozen shrimp every night.
IMG_0856.JPG

These are the two fish that have survived thanks to no more bully sixtine wrasse.
IMG_0809.JPG

For chemistry, I currently dose 14 ML of alkalinity a day and 10 ML of calcium. I do not dose mag and it usually hovers between 1370-1400 which is perfect. I have recently done and ICP and all parameters came back perfectly, so no need to dose trace elements. I have also been doing Zeovit for about two ish months now and it has proved to be very beneficial.
I currently dose these zeovit products:
1 drop ZeoBak - everyday
1 drop sponge power - everyday
1 drop coral vitalizer - everyday
1 drop amino acid - everyday
1 ml of flatworm stop - everyday
1 ml of coral booster - M,W,F
1 ml of B-Balance - M,W,F

Non ZEOVIT:
I also dose acro power, 1 ml - M,W,F
Oyster feast - 1 ml Everyday
31E0FB07-8590-4079-A9DF-CC12EBF336E9.JPG
5BCB1BCA-4008-4AB1-B174-E85FC97C2373 2.JPG
310DBCF8-8B5C-42F7-819A-92CE86D86013.JPG

For filtration K.I.S.S. is what I have adopted because all I have is a skimmer, filter sock and live rock in the sump.

Another big piece I have added to help boost my tank and biological filtration is real aussie live rock. I believe there is nothing more beneficial and more diversity than true rock from the ocean, with the I had purchased a pound of rubble aussie rock and admit to my sump, which hopefully will help my tank establish more easily.
IMG_0973.JPG

Tank overall is doing very well, I have no complaints I am trying to stay very consistent and not change anything which is proving to show very beneficial based on how my corals are doing! IMG_0809.JPG

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your corals look awesome. I need to try the flatworm stop thing. I tried some of the new Triton-STN-X but I didn't stick with it. The daily dose was so small as well .41 ml

OP
OP
Blitheran

Blitheran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AE797007-FE01-4C84-9724-74419A73DC10.jpeg

rarely do I ever sit down and take a picture of my reef with the blues on with a filter but I am really enjoying how this reef tank has come together! Yesterday, I met up with a fellow reefer who was needing to trim down on his coral collection due to his alk and calcium uptake was far to high so he broke me off a nice colony of ORA purple plasma and Green monti cap. These two fit very well on the right side of the reef. In total I have 34 species of SPS! I cant wait for them to start filing in the reef!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.3%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 27.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.3%
Back