Red Sea reefer 170

FDchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a complete Red Sea reefer 170 locally to me for sale. Question I have is can I trust a used Red Sea. I read the horror stories and it makes me nervous but it seems like it was only the big tanks. What does everyone think. If I check it out and everything looks good do I need to worry about seams blowing out?

OP
OP
FDchase

FDchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took too long it’s gone already. But there are quite a few of them for sale in my area. Anything else to be aware of besides generation?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took too long it’s gone already. But there are quite a few of them for sale in my area. Anything else to be aware of besides generation?
Generation is the main concern with used Red Sea tanks. To be completely honest with you, I wouldn’t recommend buying any used Red Sea tanks due to the many documented instances of seam failure. If you must buy a used Red Sea tank, try to find a G2 version that is as new as possible and hasn’t spent lots of time sitting dry which I understand can affect the silicone as well over time.

tgrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with everything that was said. Buy a G2. That said, I have a G1 625XXL and it's still fine, although I am replacing it with a new tank in a month or so. I just don't trust it...

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no personal experience with them, but am turned off by the manufacturer. if the original was designed poorly and fails, why would I trust that the same engineers fixed the problem. Seemed like g2 was a bandaid to a bad design, not a complete redesign(I may be mistaken). Remember the car manufacturer daewoo? These cars were falling apart by 12k miles, you think the next model year was a good car?

OP
OP
FDchase

FDchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured it was they’re bigger tanks that had the problem. People getting nervous is probably why there are so many used for a good price.

Not_Erick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured it was they’re bigger tanks that had the problem. People getting nervous is probably why there are so many used for a good price.
From what I read, the 170 and 250 aren’t prone to the issue, it’s the bigger ones

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back