Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I always wanted a saltwater tank since I was a kid but my dad said it was bad luck to have anything from the ocean in the house. I had forgotten about it until I came across the Fluval and realized that today things are much more advanced and cheaper than in the 80's and with the internet I had support to acquire knowledge easily and reach out to experienced people willing to help. its been almost a year since I had to get rid of my first tank ever, a Fluval EVO 13.5: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/nano-tank-30-sec-video.717801/#post-7442833

I must admit I took quite a beating with the Fluval nano and learned a lot. I'm still a beginner but like everyone else I wanted to go bigger on my next build. Now that I moved from California to Florida and settled in I'm super excited to get back in the hobby. I researched and settled for a Red Sea Reefer 350 for my next adventure. Seems like a popular and solid product at a size where I can get more diversity without biting more than I can chew. I plan on going step by step to a mixed reef setup. I'm fully dedicated to it and expect to have total success and make the most out of it.

I decided to post the build here so I can get help along the way and hopefully entertain some people at the same time.

The tank should arrive someday further down the end of this week:

YOUR SHIPMENT IS AT SHREVEPORT, LA AND IS READY TO DEPART.

I'm worried about how am I going to bring it up to the 3rd floor though. I'm thinking about asking the maintenance guy to help me bring it up using these moving straps:

Otherwise I guess I'll see if I can open it downstairs and bring it up piece by piece. What do you think?

Also, I was wondering if it is ok to have it on the carpet in the living room.

Anyway, here's the good part:

Reefer 350 - 91 Gallon Black All In One Aquarium V3 Sump - Red Sea​

Vectra S2 DC Return Pump Mobius Ready (1400 GPH) - Ecotech Marine​

2 x Radion XR15 G5 PRO Aquarium LED Light Fixture - Ecotech Marine​

2 × (XR719-15) XR15 G5 Radion Single Arm Tank Mount RMS Kit - Ecotech Marine​

Reefer RSK-300 Protein Skimmer - Red Sea​

ReefWave 45 Aquarium Gyre Flow Pump - Red Sea​

Nero 5 Wave Pump (3000 GPH) w/Fish Guard - AquaIllumination​

HMH 300 Watt Titanium Heater w/Digital Display & Remote Sensor - Finnex​

2 × Arag-Alive Special Grade Reef Sand (20 lb) 1.0 - 2.0 mm - Caribsea​

Life Rock (40 lb) - Caribsea​

48" x 31" Customizable DIY Aquarium Screen Net Cover Kit (R42082) - Red Sea​

Am I missing anything?

I will keep this post updated as much as possible.

Thank you for checking this out and hope you enjoy the build. Feel free to say whatever you want.

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 525 Red Sea was carried inside by 2 guys from the fish store. Same level though.
If they would have been better prepared they could have brought suction cup carrying devices.
Looking forward to your threat!

OP
OP
Albertoinbox

Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This forum works everytime!

Thanks, hadn't thought about that. Did you get the tank from the fish store? Not sure if my LFS would be willing to help since I didnt get it from them. Maybe if I promise to buy from them...which I dont want to because from what I've seen their stuff isnt very "clean" and I dont have a quarentine tank.

Update on the tank status:

YOUR SHIPMENT DEPARTED FROM MERIDIAN, MS TO ATLANTA, GA

IMG_2737.jpg

RODI unit, installing it in the next days.

IMG_2738.jpg

Beautiful rocks, arrived not broken at all.

IMG_2739.jpg

Box o' rocks. Hope it will be enough for my aquascape, what do you think? I dont want to add too much weight to the tank, I'm already scared the floor wont hold the tank as it is...

IMG_2740.jpg

Gotta have sand.

IMG_2741.jpg

This is where I want to set it up. Do you think the carpet will be an issue regarding level and stability? Already concerned about water damaging it over time...

IMG_2736.jpg

Gear keeps coming in.

OP
OP
Albertoinbox

Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Nick,

definitely not looking forward to a disaster!

I spoke to the management and they said it should be ok. They dont have any restrictions on aquariums and they said people here have tanks and dont even tell them anything. I also emailed the insurance company regarding any specific coverage on aquariums, which they dont have, but said in the case of damage I can file a claim normally. Also, its not in a bedroom where there would be a risk of hurting anyone below if it did fall.

Gentlefish had a 525 on a third floor (mine is 350), unless it was a concrete building it should have the same kind of construction as mine. My building is new and pretty solid, should be ok, just wanted to share my concern.

If I feel like it might be too much I might have someone check it out before filling it with water. Thanks again.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When is the tank coming in?

OP
OP
Albertoinbox

Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say.

It left Phoenix, AZ on 12/16. Projected delivery by ABF freight says 12/28. Although if it continues to travel at the current speed I believe it should get here this thursday.

It arrived at Atlanta, GA today a while ago.

Check it out:

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To clarify, for me, no stairs are involved. Ground level, wood construction.
Had more trouble with the 750 and COVID. Had to hire 2 moving guys, just to figure out they were as old as myself. Anyways 3 old timers and a dolly later we got her in place.
I have a 160g/6ft freshwater in a commercial building on 2nd floor with concrete construction....

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like to you have a nice start planned out! I have an XL425, so a very similar build. Two things I would note from my experience are:
1. It took me 3x bags of sand after initially thinking I could stretch it with 2
2. I went with the 60" RS DIY net kit to be able to make 2 pieces that make the top easier to handle (I would also highly recommend the Neat Aquatics feed ports from BRS)

Few other things that are probably fine either way are that I went with the M2 pump (I have a manifold), RSK 600 skimmer, and 2x heaters for redundancy. These were based on recommendations from manufacturers and my LFS.

Finally, the tank setup itself is quite heavy based on how they package it with a significant "wood" box it comes in that adds a ton of weight. Opening the original packaging and carrying it in pieces (sump, tank, stand boxes) makes it significantly easier the maneuver. Just be careful to keep in mind the overflow holes on the tank sit lower than the bottom of the tank, so you have to sit them on something soft to prevent damage when moving and setting the tank down.

OP
OP
Albertoinbox

Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To clarify, for me, no stairs are involved. Ground level, wood construction.
Had more trouble with the 750 and COVID. Had to hire 2 moving guys, just to figure out they were as old as myself. Anyways 3 old timers and a dolly later we got her in place.
I have a 160g/6ft freshwater in a commercial building on 2nd floor with concrete construction....
I'm sorry, thought you meant the same floor as mine when you said "Same level though."

Thanks for clearing that up.

OP
OP
Albertoinbox

Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like to you have a nice start planned out! I have an XL425, so a very similar build. Two things I would note from my experience are:
1. It took me 3x bags of sand after initially thinking I could stretch it with 2
2. I went with the 60" RS DIY net kit to be able to make 2 pieces that make the top easier to handle (I would also highly recommend the Neat Aquatics feed ports from BRS)

Few other things that are probably fine either way are that I went with the M2 pump (I have a manifold), RSK 600 skimmer, and 2x heaters for redundancy. These were based on recommendations from manufacturers and my LFS.

Finally, the tank setup itself is quite heavy based on how they package it with a significant "wood" box it comes in that adds a ton of weight. Opening the original packaging and carrying it in pieces (sump, tank, stand boxes) makes it significantly easier the maneuver. Just be careful to keep in mind the overflow holes on the tank sit lower than the bottom of the tank, so you have to sit them on something soft to prevent damage when moving and setting the tank down.
Thats the kind of information Im looking for, thanks.

I dont want to add more weight to the tank otherwise I would've probably gotten 4 bags to make a thick sand layer. I wonder if I can at least cover the bottom with 2 bags, being that my tank is 12" shorter and 2.6" narrower than yours. If not I can get another bag quickly.

Splitting the top net in two is smart, didnt think about that. I have a 3D printer and have made my own screen top so I might be able to figure something out. Lets see when its time to put it together. Definitely going to get the Neat feeder, great tip.

Regarding the pump, I went with the S2 because the red sea chart recommends 790gph and the S2 does 1400gph, thats almost twice as much. Since your 425 recommends a 1060gph it makes sense getting the M2 which does 2000gph. I guess comparing both were almost in the same ratio. M2 for me is almost three times more the recommended. Unless this isnt enough Ill go with the M2, if so please let me know.

Getting another heater for sure.

Regarding the skimmer I guess it doesnt hurt having more than needed, the 300 is kind of in the limit for what Im aiming for. Already contacted SA to switch for the 600.

The tank is arriving next monday due to the holidays, just scheduled the delivery. I got a dolly and will tear it down downstairs and bring it up in pieces. Thanks for the heads up!

BTW, I took a quick look through your build and its amazing! Will go back and read to try to learn more when I have time. Congrats!!

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I dont want to add more weight to the tank otherwise I would've probably gotten 4 bags to make a thick sand layer. I wonder if I can at least cover the bottom with 2 bags, being that my tank is 12" shorter and 2.6" narrower than yours. If not I can get another bag quickly.

Splitting the top net in two is smart, didnt think about that. I have a 3D printer and have made my own screen top so I might be able to figure something out. Lets see when its time to put it together. Definitely going to get the Neat feeder, great tip.

Regarding the pump, I went with the S2 because the red sea chart recommends 790gph and the S2 does 1400gph, thats almost twice as much. Since your 425 recommends a 1060gph it makes sense getting the M2 which does 2000gph. I guess comparing both were almost in the same ratio. M2 for me is almost three times more the recommended. Unless this isnt enough Ill go with the M2, if so please let me know.

Regarding the skimmer I guess it doesnt hurt having more than needed, the 300 is kind of in the limit for what Im aiming for. Already contacted SA to switch for the 600.

The tank is arriving next monday due to the holidays, just scheduled the delivery. I got a dolly and will tear it down downstairs and bring it up in pieces. Thanks for the heads up!

BTW, I took a quick look through your build and its amazing! Will go back and read to try to learn more when I have time. Congrats!!
You have the 350 right? It’s only like 2” in each direction smaller. You can definitely cover the bottom with 2 bags. It’s about an inch ish deep, but my bottom came exposed too quickly with flow. Adding the additional bag took care of the problem. Just personal preference you’ll be fine either way. I didn’t realize the 425 and 350 were that much different for pump recommendation. I just kind of assumed they are about the same size. Again, pretty sure you’ll be fine either way pump and skimmer wise.

Thanks for the complement on my build. I’ve enjoyed the entire process very much and always happy to answer questions or explain my rationale. I’m definitely not an expert, but can speak from my experience putting it all together so far.

KyOsIBa515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Congrats on diving back into the hobby! Looks like you got a solid start on all the equipment. In regards to the pump the S2 is rated for 1400 gph. However, every elbow and bend even in the stock return piping reduces flow. You’ll still get the recommended amount of flow and with the help of power heads be able to do any corals you want as far as flow. However, if you plan on adding reactors in the future through a single manifold you’ll need a bigger pump.

As far as weight...you’ll be fine if your tank sets perpendicular to the joists. The 350 has a nice foot print of 48” that is for sure two floor joist you’ll hit and possibly 3. If you are on an interior load bearing wall then even better.

To put that visually take 8 of your friends and all stand within that foot print of the tank. Do you think the floor will support you and your friends? I think so.

OP
OP
Albertoinbox

Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on diving back into the hobby! Looks like you got a solid start on all the equipment. In regards to the pump the S2 is rated for 1400 gph. However, every elbow and bend even in the stock return piping reduces flow. You’ll still get the recommended amount of flow and with the help of power heads be able to do any corals you want as far as flow. However, if you plan on adding reactors in the future through a single manifold you’ll need a bigger pump.

As far as weight...you’ll be fine if your tank sets perpendicular to the joists. The 350 has a nice foot print of 48” that is for sure two floor joist you’ll hit and possibly 3. If you are on an interior load bearing wall then even better.

To put that visually take 8 of your friends and all stand within that foot print of the tank. Do you think the floor will support you and your friends? I think so.
I would exchange for the M2 but I got clowns coming in wednesday and I cant get it here in time. Guess I'll just run the S2 at max power. For now I'm just adding a UV sterilizer.

Thank you for reassuring the weight is fine, now that its setup looks like it will be ok.

OP
OP
Albertoinbox

Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today was a busy day.

The tank arrived 11am and I have just finished installing everything (11pm).

I took everything apart downstairs and brought the heavy stuff with a dolly. The tank was super heavy to bring up by myself, my girl jumped in to help but we were struggling. Thank god the maintenance guy saw and came to the rescue, finally we got everything inside.

Unfortunately, I have only 40PSI in my sink and my booster pump only arrives tomorrow so I couldnt fill it all the way up.

IMG_2902.jpg

IMG_2908.jpg

IMG_2910.jpg

IMG_2918.jpg

IMG_2922.jpg

IMG_2925.jpg

IMG_2928.jpg

OP
OP
Albertoinbox

Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question:

How do I connect the hose to the S2 pump? I'm sure this isnt tight enough to handle pressure, or is it? I probably need an adapter.

Thanks.

IMG_2929.jpg
IMG_2930.jpg

OP
OP
Albertoinbox

Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a barb adapter accessories kit just make sure to get the right one for your pump: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/vectra-l2-barb-screen-kit-ecotech-marine.html
Thanks! I see its a "generic" barb. Theres this one which is specific for the S2, why doesnt it come with the pump?

Anyone from Ecotech in this forum?

OP
OP
Albertoinbox

Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update

Today my first tank inhabitants arrived. The most beautiful clowns I've ever seen. Orange Storm (ocellaris). Holly from Cultivated Reef did a great job! Check'em out:

IMG_2939.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 12.40.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 12.39.17 PM.png

My new tank is beautiful!!!!

IMG_2937.jpg

So happy!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 12.36.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 12.36.06 PM.png
    281.3 KB · Views: 112

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back