Red Sea Reefer 525XL Version 3 Build

nycfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I current have a Red Sea Max 130D with LED's in the hood which I have been running for the last 6.5 years with a 9 month break 4 years ago during some major house renovation.

I have been thinking about an upgrade for the last year and recently made the decision to go all in on bigger tank but only if I could automate some of the maintenance that I dislike doing on my current tank. So a couple of weekends ago I ran an aqualink cable, 6 apex tubes and a thermostat wire from my basement up to location of new tank. Once I had confirmed I could get the tubing through I went ahead an ordered a new version 3 red sea reefer 525XL.

I have not seen may v3 build threads so hoping this will helpful to people and will give me a chance to document the project and get feedback from the community. The big change with the v.3 reefer is the sump, the plumbing has changed, the ato tank is bigger and the sump allows for a refugium.

Still some decisions to make but so far this is my equipment list, the focus has been on quiet, low maintenance and simple/cluster free as possible.

Tank: Red Sea Reefer 525XL v.3
Flow: 2X Apex WAV's
Return Pump: Apex Cor-20
Controller: 2016 Neptune Apex, with leak detection in basement for RODI and sump. Solenoid valve on water line for RODI tank filling

Auto Water Changes: Apes DOS (in basement)
ATO: Apex ATK w/PMUP in RODI tank in basement
Heater: Primary Cobalt neo-therm 300W, backup Cobalt 200W
Reactor: Avast spyglass for GFO, TBD on reactor with manifold, will depend on new plumbing
Rock: Mostly marco rock, but have some left over BRS reefsaver and pukani I will use as well

Lighting: TBD- debating 2x Radion XR30 G4 Pro's, 4 XR15's or maybe 2X Kessil AP700
Dosing: TBD
Skimmer: TBD
Sand: TBD, eden reef flake I think

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along for the build, looks like it'll be a fun one :)

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solid plan so far! Any plans for stocking? If you're going mostly SPS, the two WAVs might have difficulty providing all of the flow you'll want to the entire area of the tank. Of course, your rockwork will play into it quite a bit as well. I've used mine for two years in my 525 and I really like the pumps, but they do have their limitations.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. I'm also big on automation and set up a similar system with my mixing station in the garage, DOS for AWC, ATK with PMUP in RO/DI storage tank, and a 30 foot aquabus cable leading to the Apex in my Reefer XL 425 cabinet. I added an Avast Swabbie to automatically clean my skimmer neck, and an Avast skimmate locker to reduce the need to empty the skimmer cup and turn off my skimmer when full. Feel free to check out my build thread for ideas, or hit me up with any questions about my setup.

Good luck!

OP
OP
N

nycfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Solid plan so far! Any plans for stocking? If you're going mostly SPS, the two WAVs might have difficulty providing all of the flow you'll want to the entire area of the tank. Of course, your rockwork will play into it quite a bit as well. I've used mine for two years in my 525 and I really like the pumps, but they do have their limitations.
Stocking is still working progress.
I will be moving over 2 blue chromis, clown fish pair, firefish, diamond goby, solan wrasse, scooter blenny and a flame anthias. Would like to add a yellow tang, a tbd tang, foxface and maybe another anthias or two.
Coral wise looking at mixed reef and if I can do well with SPS add move over time.

Plan of keeping rocks more minimalist with marinepure or similar in sump to supplement biological filtration.

If I need to add more flow down the road I guess I could all another set of WAV's or some kind of gyre. That said, how will I know if I don't have enough flow for SPS?
What skimmer are you using? thinking of going up a solid "plus 1" on skimmer size to deal with heavy bioload.

OP
OP
N

nycfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks good. I'm also big on automation and set up a similar system with my mixing station in the garage, DOS for AWC, ATK with PMUP in RO/DI storage tank, and a 30 foot aquabus cable leading to the Apex in my Reefer XL 425 cabinet. I added an Avast Swabbie to automatically clean my skimmer neck, and an Avast skimmate locker to reduce the need to empty the skimmer cup and turn off my skimmer when full. Feel free to check out my build thread for ideas, or hit me up with any questions about my setup.

Good luck!
I read your thread, amazing work on your tank and stunning photography as well. Going to go with very similar amount of automation for water changes, auto tank top off, and RO/DI tank filling.
For now I am keeping my existing mixing station setup which is only 35 gallons per tank but it will do for now.

I really like the idea of skimmate locker and neck cleaner but first need to decide on a skimmer.

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I need to add more flow down the road I guess I could all another set of WAV's or some kind of gyre. That said, how will I know if I don't have enough flow for SPS?
What skimmer are you using? thinking of going up a solid "plus 1" on skimmer size to deal with heavy bioload.

I run a LOT of flow in mine... a set of WAVS, a pair of Gyre xf250s, and a pair of Tunze 6040s on the overflow to keep flow moving along the back walls of the tank. WAVs might be ok initially, but as things begin to grow, you'll have a tendency to see your flow diminish overall. Really, its just a matter of paying attention to your corals and how they are interacting with the water flow. I would also caution against running the WAVs on the back glass initially, unless they are very low, as they will blow all of your new sand away from the glass. This is lessened if the powerheads are on either end of the tank. I run mine on the back wall at 18-25% with a maverick and malibu setting, and that seems to work well. My gyres are running 80-30% unsynced so there is a variety of water movement. The Tunze pumps are sitting on either side of the overflow, pushing water towards the side glass.

As for skimmers, I run a Deltec 1456 DC skimmer, which is upsized from the skimmer I could run on the tank if I wanted to. Its a solid skimmer, no real maintenance or issues with it aside from having to replace the controller on the DC pump. If I did it all over again, I would pick the AC pump model (1455, I think?) because I just run it wide open anyhow. A lot of people seem to like the Nysos 160 or the similar sized Vertex. Ive used the vertex before and really like it. Ive seen the Nysos before and they look pretty, but I dont have any practical experience with the skimmer. My bioload is pretty heavy... a trio of tangs, a dozen or so wrasses (leopard, fairy, flasher), a handful of anthias (lyretail and carberryi), a pair of blennies, and some other randoms (clown, dottyback, filefish, etc). Though Ive recently had some issues with my corals, the fish seem to be happy and healthy. I do have a MarinePure block in my sump, as well as a liter or two of the spheres - but Ive never really noticed any appreciable difference in my nutrient load due solely to that in this system.

OP
OP
N

nycfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
On the skimmer I was thinking reef octopus regal 150 or 200 for plus 1 but the DC pump seems pointless and just something else with a controller to manage plus they are not cheap
With NYOS concerned about noise
Deltec options seem limited, I see a 1000ix and 1500ix on marine depot with self cleaning head that look interesting but no drain port in cup for a skimate locker.
Bubble magus curve 9 elite also looks interesting, has sicce pump which is nice.
Skimmer decision is really giving me a hard time, too many choices and not enough "real" data on performance.
Do they all work about the same and I should just decide based on features and size I want?

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my Deltec from Adam @Battlecorals . I believe he is stocking/repping them once more, and I would reach out to him and see whats available. I think the 1000ix is comparable to the 1455/56 series that I have (this appears to have a drain line?). Ill say that of all the skimmers I have used, the Deltec has been the only one that I practically threw in and just let run without any issues. The Vertex was probably a close second - I ran an Omega 150 on a tank that was smaller than the 525xL.

OP
OP
N

nycfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought my Deltec from Adam @Battlecorals . I believe he is stocking/repping them once more, and I would reach out to him and see whats available. I think the 1000ix is comparable to the 1455/56 series that I have (this appears to have a drain line?). Ill say that of all the skimmers I have used, the Deltec has been the only one that I practically threw in and just let run without any issues. The Vertex was probably a close second - I ran an Omega 150 on a tank that was smaller than the 525xL.
I'll put a call into Adam and see what he recommends.

OP
OP
N

nycfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If I went with Reef Octopus do you guys think the Regal 15oINT is enough skimmer for this tank if I go heavy on the fish?

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I went with Reef Octopus do you guys think the Regal 15oINT is enough skimmer for this tank if I go heavy on the fish?

Its right on the edge of "ok" according to the ratings. I'd look for something a little bigger. While the body might be the same, I would want more air flow through the skimmer. That said, it might do fine - I would just want to be on the "other side" of that heavy bioload rating.

OP
OP
N

nycfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So while I wait for the tank to arrive I did some work on automating my water changes, RODI tank filing and ATO.
I have run 6 tubes, an aqualink cable and a thermostat wire from basement up to family room.
I am reusing my tanks form RSM130 for the 525, they are a bit small but can't fit anything bigger in the space i have available.
The picture below is my mixing station and DOS for water changes (in future will add a second for 2 part dosing).
RODI tank is bottom one, has low and high optical sensors that turn solenoid valve on/off and a pmup for ATO up to the tank. Top tank is saltwater with low water optical sensor so I get alerts to make more water and pause AWC. Old salt water goes into a floor drain.
mixingt tanks.jpg

OP
OP
N

nycfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have finally (for the 5th time now) made up my mind on a skimmer, going with NYOS 160. Keep going back and forth between this, deltec, RO regal 150/200/SSS/Int, RO elite 150/200.
Decided on NYOS as it gets good reviews, used by lots of forum members, is AC pump drive (one less controller and more reliable) and is easy to get good support for.
was worried about the noise of AC pump but pretty much everyone is saying their NYOS skimmers are dead silent so willing to take the risk.
Now if I can decide on lights (4 times XR15's of 2 times xr30's pros)....with 15's thinking fewer shadows with 30's less cluster above and below the tank.

OP
OP
N

nycfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Picking up stand tomorrow!!
Decided on 2 of the xr30's and thinking I could add a xr15 in the middle if I really needed better spread.

Marco shelf scape rock ordered. I got the 60 pound "kit", with an extra 20 pounds of prime rock and mortar kit. I will also use some rock from my existing tank.
My existing rock has some really nice growth of coraline and plenty of critters but also has xenia and close star polyps that grow like weeds so am concerned about introducing that to the new tank.

This is pic of my existing tank

130D FTS.JPG

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are concerned about introducing some of those "pest" corals into the tank, I would suggest closely inspecting the corals you want to keep for any stragglers, and then use a hammer and chisel/screwdriver to break off the rock/coral you want to keep, and donate/sell/dry out the stuff you dont. Then let the broken rock sit in your old DT for a few days to make sure you dont have any cloves on it, then transfer to the new tank when you're ready. Its hard to get rid of that stuff once it takes off, so I would be concerned as well. At least you can use a small cup/container of sand and that should be free of xenia/cloves, but give you some biodiversity.

OP
OP
N

nycfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@ksfulk thanks for the suggestion, it's a very good one.
I also put in a couple small pieces of dry rock in this tank with the intent of using it to seed the new tank.
I had briefly considered turning the piece of rock with all the clover coral on it but then thought better as the die-off would create a mess in the tank

OP
OP
N

nycfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I went to go pick up the stand on Saturday but realized it was a version 2 tank so did not accept it. I'm sure it would have been fine but I wanted the plywood cabinet and some of the sump changes and I had been pretty specific when I put my order it that I wanted a v.3.

The plan had been to put stand together this week and then have the glass delivered onto the stand about a week later.
So now back to waiting.

Back