RED SEA REEFER 750XXL: Reinforcement updates

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quoted from the RS release:
“A few owners have reported noticing a gap in between the bottom of the tank in the top of the cabinet. This is a clear indication of the sagging of the cabinet top board as mentioned above.”

In reference to the paper test...the way I understand is that some people are seeing a gap between the tank and stand top. The paper test confirms that gap and is an easier way to show on camera that there is a gap. If I can slide a piece of paper under my my tank, there logically has to be a gap there. And the paper only sliding back so far and stopping would lead me to believe that at some point the tank is making contact with the stand.
Does being able to slide a piece of paper under the tank not always mean there is a gap?

If it does than the issue goes down all the way to the reefer 170 cause I can get a peice of paper under it.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, if you can fit anything between the tank and stand it means the tank isn’t touching the stand :)

I guess they are saying don’t worry about it until the silicon starts to separate and fail. It may not on the smaller tanks or in cases where the unsupported area is less than a certain size. Kind of a “move along, nothing to worry about here” approach :)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it does than the issue goes down all the way to the reefer 170 cause I can get a peice of paper under it.
I dont think so - a 170 is much different than a 750xxl isnt it?I mean - I used to put tanks on 4 cinder blocks (supported only on the corner. Granted - those were 'framed tanks' - but even still I wouldn't do that with a 6 foot tank (framed). The physics is different - the pressure inside the tank is much different

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, if you can fit anything between the tank and stand it means the tank isn’t touching the stand :)

I guess they are saying don’t worry about it until the silicon starts to separate and fail. It may not on the smaller tanks or in cases where the unsupported area is less than a certain size. Kind of a “move along, nothing to worry about here” approach :)

From the article I quoted - it said 'a gap signifies that there could be a problem - and check the silicone'. If there is a problem with the silicone contact customer service immediately. Otherwise - wait for the new 'bracing system' - available in late October. -which everyone should install

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
renters insurance is also a tough one.
Around 2006 a F1 came threw and laid a tree on my new home, power was out for three days lost all the live stock.
I got a new roof, 500 for the spoilage of food but No live stock replacement .
So call your fish sushi and it gets replaced :rolleyes:

;Hilarious

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Doh! So are people thinking that it is has not caused problems because of the smaller volume in the smaller tanks? I would think if a gap is an issue in larger tanks, then a smaller tank may be able to support the weight for longer but still be compromised over time. Is this a reasonable conclusion?
*I am truly here to learn more as hope my post do not come off any other way...I have considered this tanks in the past and would have definitely bought one if a good deal came my way. Trying to learn more before I make up my mind about the tanks.

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doh! So are people thinking that it is has not caused problems because of the smaller volume in the smaller tanks? I would think if a gap is an issue in larger tanks, then a smaller tank may be able to support the weight for longer but still be compromised over time. Is this a reasonable conclusion?
*I am truly here to learn more as hope my post do not come off any other way...I have considered this tanks in the past and would have definitely bought one if a good deal came my way. Trying to learn more before I make up my mind about the tanks.

Of course in theory, the better supported a tank is, the longer it will last. Less stress on joints. But they are saying it is “good enough”. In the future, I dont see myself purchasing an aquarium that comes with this style of flat packed/ikea stands.

In the last few months I purchased a custom tank with a much nicer overflow and reinforced corner seams for $700, roughly the same size as my reefer 350. (Much wider, slightly less length). And then I built a stand for probably $120 once everything was painted and done. I imagine it lasting much longer.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to think about this from an engineering point of view. There is allot of math involved and I’m no engineer.

The span of the unsupported section of a 750 is FAR greater than a 170. The total weight of the water over that span is also much more. However the 750 uses thicker glass too. The thicker material makes for a thicker seal on the 750.

Mass, total weight and allot of other factors play into it. But the smaller tanks are most likely perfectly fine with or without any gap. They just don’t have anything close the the weights of a 750.

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to think about this from an engineering point of view. There is allot of math involved and I’m no engineer.
My husband is an engineer...but I know asking about this will end in a long conversation with words like load, stress points, flexing, contracting...and probably end with a fluid dynamics explanation lol o_O

Makes sense about smaller tank=less stress on seam.

daftwazzock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The span of the unsupported section of a 750 is FAR greater than a 170. The total weight of the water over that span is also much more. However the 750 uses thicker glass too. The thicker material makes for a thicker seal on the 750.

Mass, total weight and allot of other factors play into it. But the smaller tanks are most likely perfectly fine with or without any gap. They just don’t have anything close the the weights of a 750.

I agree, I think that the smaller tank kits from Red Sea et al are perfectly fine to use with their plywood stands. I even had issues with my 350l stand though, so probably the highest I'd go from them or really any other manufacturer in the future is a 170l cube.

It really blows my mind that Red Sea produces some amazing high quality large rimless tanks and goes with such a low quality option for the stand. It's like having a rusty 1970s cadillac with rims worth 10x as much slapped on it.

If you want a big tank you really are better off taking the extra time and effort into assembling a sturdy, purpose built metal stand yourself in my view.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be nice if red sea just sent us out a nice alu, T slot stand where the doors and panels could be attached.
funny (maybe not funny) thing is the stand was the selling point for me for going with the 750XXL my last cpl tanks where DIY stands. the last 1 i never got around to "trimming "it out so it was open an a eye sore.

so to have a nice moderen white stand was a big factor for me to drop that kind of $$ which was quite a bit for my humble budget.

when anyone sees a blueprint of the support do let us know.

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a big tank you really are better off taking the extra time and effort into assembling a sturdy, purpose built metal stand yourself in my view.

I don't think metal is required, honestly. A well built plywood or 2x4 stand is more than strong enough. The issue here is cutting material costs and using the minimal amount of material, their flat pack design to reduce shipping cost, and the focus on aesthetics rather than strength (no additional center support).

I am pretty sure my DIY plywood stand will last longer than the tank will!

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, I think that the smaller tank kits from Red Sea et al are perfectly fine to use with their plywood stands. I even had issues with my 350l stand though, so probably the highest I'd go from them or really any other manufacturer in the future is a 170l cube.

It really blows my mind that Red Sea produces some amazing high quality large rimless tanks and goes with such a low quality option for the stand. It's like having a rusty 1970s cadillac with rims worth 10x as much slapped on it.

No stand, metal or not, is infallible. It doesn't matter what material you use, they can and will all succumb to the environment we put them in. MDF absorbs water, so does plywood and dimensional lumber, metal rusts out, even the extruded aluminum will eventually have problems if you don't replace the connections on them periodically. Plywood is an excellent material to assemble stands with if it's designed properly. This is an issue of an improper design, not poor choice of material. If the stand was made of metal but not designed for the proper weight, the tanks would still fail. If you want a big tank and get a custom stand or you build one yourself it comes down to designing it properly for the weight you're subjecting it to and using whatever materials you want, as long as you understand there structural and longevity limits.

Last edited:

Vamsi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My husband is an engineer...but I know asking about this will end in a long conversation with words like load, stress points, flexing, contracting...and probably end with a fluid dynamics explanation lol o_O

Makes sense about smaller tank=less stress on seam.
True, but this is all relative to the size of the tank and stress on the seams.

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't think metal is required, honestly. A well built plywood or 2x4 stand is more than strong enough. The issue here is cutting material costs and using the minimal amount of material, their flat pack design to reduce shipping cost, and the focus on aesthetics rather than strength (no additional center support).

I am pretty sure my DIY plywood stand will last longer than the tank will!

The tanks are very heavy. From a shipping perspective they will weigh out a shipping container before it is cubed out. They could probably go with a metal reinforced wood stand or a thicker wood stand and it would hardly affect their shipping costs. Even if they were fully assembled.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i am very curious to see what comes of this over the next cpl of months. time will tell , I do hope that no one has any issues with there aquarium in the mean time.

if you are concerned I would support it in some way until you get the "fix"

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really glad this issue was officially acknowledged for all you 750 owners.
I'm also glad the last thread on this subject revealed some folks as shills that should be ignored.
Agreed- informed skepticism is the way to approach any claims or issues. It’s easy to be a fanboy, or say “I don’t have that issue so therefore the problem doesn’t exist”. It’s harder to acknowledge that any person or company can make mistakes. Almost all brands have their “meh” products.

CWR24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cruise around the hood areas of Chicago......you'll see that all day long. :) :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back