Red Sea Reefer or Waterbox?

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am seriously considering getting a new tank.
I'm looking at either a Waterbox 170 or a Red Sea Reefer 625xxl

I like that the waterbox is slightly taller overall and that the total water volume is slightly more at 171gal vs 169gal for the RSR

Thoughts?

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a tough call, I've been reading a lot on both brands without personal experience on either. While they both have issues, I would lean towards Red Sea because I like the look of them, and it seems like out of the 2 I've read less negative things about them (please note that I said I dont have personal exp, just going by what I've read over the last 6mo).

Main thing I've learned for either is you absolutely have to unpack and inspect the whole thing before the shipping company leaves. Mainly all silicon on WBs and chips/cracks on RSRs.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like how the Red Sea Reefer looks but I also like the look of the Waterbox.
The fact that the Waterbox is $200 less is a factor as well.

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having owned a RSR for the past 3+ years, I would highly recommend them. Chances are you’d be fine with either brand, I just personally see no reason I would get the WB over the RS.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having had my hands on both over the years, Red Sea's quality is easily superior and worth the $200 price difference. It's not that Waterbox is bad, Red Sea is just better.

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would disagree with JS. Having had both, Red sea a few years ago now, the quality is about equal if not a little better from Waterbox. I have the WB 170.4/5 now and love it. Absolutely zero complaints. The ONLY thing that might be tough with WB is they have had supply issues the last few months so if you want it soon I'd contact WB and see what the lead time is on it getting to your house. Otherwise you will be completely satisfied with either tank. I just loved the dimensions of the WB and like you said, the price is a little cheaper.

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i personally was going thru the sameting and ended up buying waterbox 130.4 (6 months and counting). It was a tough decision but as i stand right now i really made the right decision on the waterbox. I have no issues with the waterbox, the sump design works perfect for me and the cabinet has lots of room to work in. The glass overflow box is awesome. At the time (6 mths ago) the waterbox was significantly cheaper the Redsea. The other bonus for was i did not have to pay extra on a white cabinet vs redsea charging extra.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are both great and both have excellent customer service.

One can nit pick on a few things here and there, as with anything.

$200 should not be a deciding factor in a multi year investment that you will be involved with everyday for years.

At this point is should purely be aesthetics and what you prefer to look at for hours on end.

MURedhawk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had Waterbox 100.3 since August 2018. It was an upgrade from a 65g system and purchased from local dealer/aquarium company. It has been great so far. The only negative I have so far is that the water evaporates very fast in the wintertime (with open top). For example, I added an 11g ATO tank to it and it goes dry in about 1 week. Other than that great tank so far and seems well built. No experience with Red Sea.

Jason Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Have 3 Red Sea Reefer tanks. 525XL , 250 & 170 for Qt and moving different corals into when I go to frag swaps. I love the Red Sea tanks I have 2 in my front room and they are super quit and crystal clear, but the only thing I do not like about them is there sump and filter socks. Red Sea filter socks are not interchangeable and you can only use Red Sea Filter socks and they get pricey especially when running 3 tanks. Filter socks run about 10$ per sock vs your typical BRS filter sock which is much cheaper and you can buy in bulk.

I have done much research on the water box’s and now looking to try out there 80G Frag system. I like the Waterbox design and we’re they are going. I feel waterbox will be the next Red Sea in the years to come. Also I believe waterbox is using Starfire Glass which is a plus.

Either way you won’t be disappointed .

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an RSR 250 and could not recommend it more highly. I may get a second tank and if so that will almost certainly be one of the larger RSR versions. I don’t have a house where a remote sump is a possibility so the inbuilt sump and roomy cabinet are perfect for me.

The only downside I’ve identified is that the black background in the tank comes from an adhesive plastic film, not an epoxy paint, and I managed to damage mine when cleaning the back glass with a magnetic cleaner, not realising it was plastic. As long as you know and take this into account that is not a problem however.

I don’t have any experience with the Waterbox sorry, but as per other posts they appear to make a good product too.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided on a Waterbox 190 but it's out of stock.
I will call around to see when it might be available.
The decision would up being between the waterbox 190 or the RSR 625xxl.
The waterbox simply beats it in my opinion.
More overall water volume.
More display water volume
More sump water volume
Low iron Starfire glass all around
Better cabinet (uv waterproof paint throughout, soft close doors)
Better sump (my opinion)
Normal size socks
Built in manifold

Now if I can just find one for sale.

Chad3407

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I liked the lower right of the redsea 625xxl over the waterbox. I prefer a tank that's deeper than tall for visual aspect. I'm sure the waterbox is a great tank but when I was deciding on what to get I chose the redsea 625xxl. At that time waterbox was and may still be having stick issues. I also liked the thicker glass on the redsea tanks. Either way I doubt you can go wrong with either it all comes down to personally chose.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'm a person that is open to a change of mind.

I am now STRONGLY considering the SCA 180 GALLON STARFIRE PNP SYSTEM.

http://www.scaquariums.com/SCA-180-Gallon-Starfire-PNP-System-p/sca-180gpnp.htm

I can get the sump custom built to my needs. The display is 180gal. Starfire glass all around.
WAAAAAY less expensive!

Much more tank for the money.

Does anyone have experience with their tanks?
I've run their skimmers for years and have been very happy with them.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did it!

I pulled the trigger on the SCA 180 PNP.

180 gallon display with Starfire glass
68 gallon sump
Plumbing included
Birch plywood stand and canopy

Im excited.

The value is unquestionable. Much more tank for the money plus the stand and the canopy.

Now I gotta figure out how to get this thing into my house when it arrives.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did it!

I pulled the trigger on the SCA 180 PNP.

180 gallon display with Starfire glass
68 gallon sump
Plumbing included
Birch plywood stand and canopy

Im excited.

The value is unquestionable. Much more tank for the money plus the stand and the canopy.

Now I gotta figure out how to get this thing into my house when it arrives.
I love my sca 120, stand and tank are both high quality

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny...

Now that I have purchased the tank, I'm scared like a longtail cat in a room full of rocking chairs.
I have to figure out HOW to break down my current 110 gallon tank. My 110 gallon has a Dino issue and I have thrown in the towel. I'm getting the new tank, stand, canopy, rock and sand. The only equipment i'm going to re-use is the skimmer, lights and pumps. I'm going to run the skimmer and all pumps through a battery of bleach baths and vinegar baths.

I'm skeptical to transfer my corals over but I can't see me tossing them.

The process i'm about take is slightly overwhelming to me at the moment.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back