Red Sea Reefer or Waterbox

sharpimage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a red sea s500 max and really likes it. My new tank is a waterbox 220.6. Both were nice enough to be comparable. I would recommend either.

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go a waterbox that has the external ATO tank or I would go with innovative marine.

IM is more expensive due to needing to get a sump ato etc but IMO it’s the better option for me.

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a 425XL -purchased in mid 2019 - was a good tank. I sold the tank when I went with a larger tank. I will say I had zero confidence in the stand - though you never saw a stand fall apart - it was the tanks seams that failed. I think what Red Sea has in reality is a very bad PR department and they handle their Social Media VERY poorly - especially FB. They went from - your seams are failing because your tank isn't level to we have a silicone problem to if you have a larger tank you need a support brace so it doesn't fail. If I had a 750xl does that mean I could have bad silicone and need a support brace? I never saw clear answers. All of this played out on Social Media and FB was a disaster and still is. I think it's great they have fixed the issue - but they never made clear statements to owners - ever. So if you have a tank that has 'bad' silicone - how do you even know ? They shouldn't be waiting for your seam to fail - they should be contacting dealers and reaching out to as many customers as possible. This is just my opinion but I think some would agree.

Alchameth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the waterbox just for the stand. Red sea uses cheap chip board(MDF) where waterbox uses actual wood(not plywood or chipboard(MDF)) for their stands.
Unless you win the Waterbox lotto and get a rubbish stand... And, initially their support was responsive, but the longer this drags out the worse it is. I've had it setup since September and still don't have all my issues resolved.

A few of the threaded inserts for the leveling feet were messed up, it happens, they sent replacement rails. I had to take the whole stand apart and put it back together.
1612372620586.png

Door hinge holes on the middle hinge (both sides on Peninsula tank) were drilled wrong, they sent replacement piece, would have had to take the stand half way apart to replace but the replacement has the same issue... I was sent the plastic plugs and told to drill new holes.
1612372797602.png

Seam on plumbing end panel, coating chipped all the way around where the 2 panels are glued. They sent replacement panel.

1612372904828.png

So those problems held me up for almost 3 weeks, and for all this they issued me a $200 credit...

I still have issues with the doors, not being flush, or level, or closing right. They sent me all new hinges, which I replaced them all, and it lessened a few problems but most of them persist. The doors and hinges have been off and on so many times the plastic thread plugs are worthless and I'll have to take them off again to replace those because the soft close hinges are so tight they start pulling the screws out.
After they sent the hinges they just closed out the ticket, you'd think someone that has had so many problems would have warranted a follow up call or email, but nope; back to the end of the line with your problems. My last email to them answered their question of what needs to be done to fix it. I told them I wish I knew, but I don't design or build furniture so I expect them to figure it out. I've given them plenty of pictures and explanations and quite literally a day or more of my life in building, rebuilding, doors on, off, adjusting hinges, replacing hinges... etc etc etc. and am about all but done. I went this route because I wanted a quality all in one package, boy was I wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I love the tank... and would buy another tank from them, but that's where it would end. I'd go elsewhere for a stand

Trey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I really wish both of these companies would sell just the tanks! I think they would sell more and have much happier customers to be honest.
I love my water box stand. It’s definitely the nicest quality I have had. Much easier than building one myself, and I couldn’t bring myself to hire a cabinet worker to build one for me. Just way too much money to justify.

>>klong<<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reefer 350 and a Waterbox Cube 20. They're completely different tanks, obviously, but so far, they're both great. I would have gotten a larger WB instead of the Reefer except, a) The Reefer was significantly cheaper, and b) The depth to the wall of the WB aquariums was too big - RS 350 is only about 21" and it fit way better in my space.

One difference between WB and RS cabinets is the cabinet finish. My black RS is a smooth matte black and it shows EVERYTHING - I have to clean the doors twice for it to look clean. The WB is white and it has a textured finish. It is much easier to clean salt water drips off the door.

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be happy to buy the tank and stand. I just don't want the sump so I can put a trigger system in. No that you can't do that from the start...but would be nice to not have to pay for a WB or RS sump I'm just going to toss.

Which then points the credit card in the direction of IM....

Trey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be happy to buy the tank and stand. I just don't want the sump so I can put a trigger system in. No that you can't do that from the start...but would be nice to not have to pay for a WB or RS sump I'm just going to toss.

Which then points the credit card in the direction of IM....
Man, I see this a lot, I’m not sure people seem to not like the sump design. I like it a lot better than any of the commercially available acrylic choices. I prefer glass, and the design and layout is perfect.

Tiki Reef Joshua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost got a Waterbox before I decided to piece my own system together. I recommend the latter, but for a turnkey system I’d go waterbox.

Brakaan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this thread is a little old, but I hope it hasn't gone stale. I'm considering the RS Reefer 350 vs the Marine X 110.4.

As far as I can tell, they are very similar tanks with distinct pros and cons. I really appreciate all the responses on here, especially regarding the cabinet, because that's a big factor for me.

I'd like to know your opinions on which is more important, a quality cabinet or the extra features the RS sump has?

In favor of the WB:
Better plumbing (gate valve and unions)
Better cabinet (Plywood vs MDF; leveling feet for cabinet; leveling pad for tank)
Glass removable weir
Dual returns
Smaller return box and more display tank volume (79 vs 73)

In favor of the RS:
Refugium ready
Bigger ATO reservoir (4.7 vs 2.8)

I've read a lot of R2R members complain about small ATOs (strike WB) but also that it’s a PITA to have to remove the ATO for cleaning the sump (strike RS).

Would it be easy to convert the WB sump to include a refugium? I think I’d really like to have one down the road.

I’m really concerned about the RS cabinet sagging, not being level or wearing poorly from water damage since it is MDF.

So what’s your opinion? Is it more important to have a good cabinet or a refugium ready sump?

I would consider the XL line from RS, which has the improved cabinet, but I want the 4-foot long, and my budget can’t spare the extra $500 for the 425XL. I also think the 95 total gallons is more than enough weight and volume for my situation.

Thanks!

i_am_poor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this thread is a little old, but I hope it hasn't gone stale. I'm considering the RS Reefer 350 vs the Marine X 110.4.

As far as I can tell, they are very similar tanks with distinct pros and cons. I really appreciate all the responses on here, especially regarding the cabinet, because that's a big factor for me.

I'd like to know your opinions on which is more important, a quality cabinet or the extra features the RS sump has?

In favor of the WB:
Better plumbing (gate valve and unions)
Better cabinet (Plywood vs MDF; leveling feet for cabinet; leveling pad for tank)
Glass removable weir
Dual returns
Smaller return box and more display tank volume (79 vs 73)

In favor of the RS:
Refugium ready
Bigger ATO reservoir (4.7 vs 2.8)

I've read a lot of R2R members complain about small ATOs (strike WB) but also that it’s a PITA to have to remove the ATO for cleaning the sump (strike RS).

Would it be easy to convert the WB sump to include a refugium? I think I’d really like to have one down the road.

I’m really concerned about the RS cabinet sagging, not being level or wearing poorly from water damage since it is MDF.

So what’s your opinion? Is it more important to have a good cabinet or a refugium ready sump?

I would consider the XL line from RS, which has the improved cabinet, but I want the 4-foot long, and my budget can’t spare the extra $500 for the 425XL. I also think the 95 total gallons is more than enough weight and volume for my situation.

Thanks!
Hello Brakaan,

The current Reefer 350 that are shipping from Red Sea all have plywood cabinet and adjustable feet. Also, since the release of the Reefer systems, they all have glass overflow box (weir) and removable overflow comb grill.

Sharkbait13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm stuck between the water box 60.2 and the red sea reefer170 or 200xl, this is my first sump system so I don't think making my own system would really be a great choice. I would love a refugium that goes after the skimmer because I do wanna keep a mandarin. I am really stuck between those systems.

I love the adjustable feet on the waterbox and 200xl, but the sumps im not a big fan of so i'm a little lost on what to do or what to look for

Any guidance would be helpful!

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water Box is made in the old Red Sea manufacturing plant. Red Sea did not like the quality they were getting there and built the own manufacturing plant. Water Box is now made in the old plant and Red Sea makes there own.

I have only owned Red Sea. Water Box does look nice but I chose Red Sea. There dose seem to be a little rivalry between the two owners LOL. :D

Here are the 2 manufacturing plants. Very cool.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back