Red Sea Reefer or Waterbox

Manny Tavan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both. Four years on the Red Sea and two years on the waterbox. Waterbox is better

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had a Waterbox, but looking at it and my Red Sea E-260, I prefer Red Sea. The fact it came with the lights, and I only had to get the sump upgrade extra.

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water box 100%. Do a search on here about Red Sea tanks silicone faults and tanks leaking, lots of heartache.

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water box 100%. Do a search on here about Red Sea tanks silicone faults and tanks leaking, lots of heartache.
If you also note in your research, Red Sea has upgraded their silicone and stands to correct that issue, (which was only on some of the larger tanks).

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you also note in your research, Red Sea has upgraded their silicone and stands to correct that issue, (which was only on some of the larger tanks).
Just my opinion. I have a Red Sea tank myself! They new there was a problem and they denied it! It was clear and obvious and they denied it. They left customers without a replacement for months.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I do not own either, I was considering one or the other initially.

I would go with the waterbox just for the stand. Red sea uses cheap chip board(MDF) where waterbox uses actual wood(not plywood or chipboard(MDF)) for their stands.

For me, that alone would be a deciding factor.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I do not own either, I was considering one or the other initially.

I would go with the waterbox just for the stand. Red sea uses cheap chip board(MDF) where waterbox uses actual wood(not plywood or chipboard(MDF)) for their stands.

For me, that alone would be a deciding factor.
According to there web site Water Box uses "wood composite material" In otherwords particle board.

Red sea "All the REEFER XXL models now feature a laminated, plywood marine-spec cabinet for greater water resistance. Marine plywood isn't cheap but is waterproof.

I just assembled a 3XL stand. Its very heavy. Trust me very high quality. Not "cheap" :cool:

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to there web site Water Box uses "wood composite material" In otherwords particle board.

Red sea "All the REEFER XXL models now feature a laminated, plywood marine-spec cabinet for greater water resistance. Marine plywood isn't cheap but is waterproof.

I just assembled a 3XL stand. Its very heavy. Trust me very high quality. Not "cheap" :cool:
There is a thread around here somewhere comparing the 2 with actual pictures of the 2 being sawed in half to show the "guts" of the wood.

If the red sea stand is very heavy, its particle board, and we already know they are(MDF is way heavier then actual plywood or wood of the same dimensions). Unless on their larger tanks they changed the spec since that thread? I guess it's a possibility seeing as all the problems they had with their larger tanks and their stands bowing and cracking.

Waterbox used laminated plywood, not particle board.

Red Sea is all hype and they have an excellent marketing team. Waterbox is just plain good with out all the marketing hype.

Trey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Particle board eh :rolleyes:;)
5FB3AAD5-1550-4645-BBD2-F137673BC13F.png

Oh ya, go Waterbox. I’m on the Red Sea FB page and see seam fails weekly if not daily.
Red Sea uses mdf btw...Maybe not on the newer iteration of the larger tanks ( which has to do with them attempting to correct the massive amount of failed seams on them), but they certainly do. The Waterbox stand is better, the glass is better, the sump is better, the plumbing is better, customer service is better.. I could on. Believe it or not, it took me some time to realize those things. I really wanted a Red Sea when I was looking for my current tank, lack of availability led me consider other options, which made me research, and I am SO glad I did. Take some time to research like I did and form your own opinion. What’s that they say, “you can lead a horse....”

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh ya, go Waterbox. I’m on the Red Sea FB page and see seam fails weekly if not daily.
Red Sea uses mdf btw...Maybe not on the newer iteration of the larger tanks ( which has to do with them attempting to correct the massive amount of failed seams on them), but they certainly do. The Waterbox stand is better, the glass is better, the sump is better, the plumbing is better, customer service is better.. I could on. Believe it or not, it took me some time to realize those things. I really wanted a Red Sea when I was looking for my current tank, lack of availability led me consider other options, which made me research, and I am SO glad I did. Take some time to research like I did and form your own opinion. What’s that they say, “you can lead a horse....”
Well said.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well said.
I just looked at the Waterbox website. Reefer series, the large tanks cabinets are WPC. Wood Plastic Composite.

I am on Red Sea FB page as well and don't see. I wonder if the have 2 FB s. lol

Red Sea XXL and 3XL are Marine Spec Plywood. Its there designs and Im sure both work. But disinformation has been served by some.

Take your time and get what you like best. I looked at both. Also Cade. The quality of materials, craftsmanship and design the Red Sea Reefer XL Series DT , cabinet and sump wins hands down. I did have to wait about a month but I am so glad I did and it was well worth it. "Good things come to those tha......... :cool:

Waterbox cab.jpg

Last edited:

Onthefly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the "Red Sea FB page and see seam fails weekly if not daily". Lots of RS tanks out there....maybe this is a small number of the total tanks. Still, not a good look!

WB:
1) great customer service
2) quality
3) non-metric fittings (I know it seems trivial, but it's not)
4) I just preferred the look!

Onthefly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked at the Waterbox website. Reefer series, the large tanks cabinets are WPC. Wood Plastic Composite.

I am on Red Sea FB page as well and don't see. I wonder if the have 2 FB s. lol

Red Sea XXL and 3XL are Marine Spec Plywood. Its there designs and Im sure both work. But disinformation has been served by some.

Take your time and get what you like best. I looked at both. Also Cade. The quality of materials, craftsmanship and design the Red Sea Reefer XL Series DT , cabinet and sump wins hands down. I did have to wait about a month but I am so glad I did and it was well worth it. "Good things come to those tha......... :cool:

Waterbox cab.jpg
Oh...you mean the wood covering the "powder coated aluminum frame" underneath?

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's one of the differences between the WaterBox Reef and Reef LX series isn't it? Reef does not have the aluminum frame. Reef LX does (bigger tanks sizes...so makes sense).

Onthefly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's one of the differences between the WaterBox Reef and Reef LX series isn't it? Reef does not have the aluminum frame. Reef LX does (bigger tanks sizes...so makes sense).
Yeah...but the Reef Series is made with UV coated Ply wood, not composite. I'm assuming, since the Reef LX has the Aluminum frame doing all the work, the wood panels (composite) are non-structural and just for aesthetics.

Pwnm30rdi3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had enough room for a Waterbox Reef LX that would have been my preference.

Since I only have about 22" of depth available, I went with a RS 525XL.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back