Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recent Update 5/31/19
IMG_0921.jpeg

Recent Update
4/8/19 - Shadowbox installed, tank filled IMG_0472.jpg IMG_0466.jpg

IMG_0471.jpg

-----ORIGINAL POST------
Hey guys! First time poster here but I've been reading Reef2Reef for years and most everything I've learned about this hobby was from you all. Build threads have been so helpful for me to expand my knowledge and now I am ready to try one for myself. I would love to get your feedback and constructive criticism for my ongoing build. So without further ado: My Reefer XXL 750

51085791_2306381186261490_1930031094481027072_n.jpg

50962030_590468298081835_7532582857122775040_n.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ThriftyOregon

ThriftyOregon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darn!

Red Sea will take care of it. Sorry For the setback.

Red Sea was amazing about it. They promptly corrected the issue and had a new tank shipped out. They told me to dispose of the broken one which was a little annoying because how do you dispose of a 400lb tank?! So while I wait for the new tank to come, I started ordering my equipment. So far the equipment list is as follows:
VARIOS-8 CONTROLLABLE DC PUMP
XF250 GYRE PUMP WITH CONTROLLER (5300 GPH) x 2
OMEGA 200I PROTEIN SKIMMER
AI Hydra 26 HD x 4 (came with tank)

180 lbs CaribSea Life Rock

Planning to get a Neptune Apex controller and an ATO
50839895_2577182442298106_7064306674533662720_n.jpg
50790000_1802019293243283_2055052167923892224_n.jpg

OP
OP
ThriftyOregon

ThriftyOregon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the meantime, I assembled the cabinet which came together great - I'm definitely impressed with Red Sea's quality. The plumbing does seem a little flimsy and I have heard some negative comments about the overflow valve. I toyed with the idea of replacing it as others have but I chickened out since I'm a relative noob when it comes to plumbing.

Instead I decided to plumb a "manifold" using a separate pump I had lying around (a Jebao DCP-10,000). I didn't want to plumb a manifold in series with the return pump bc I didn't want to risk diminished the flow rate too much so I'm using a second pump. I'm going to run a carbon reactor and GFO. I may use Biopellets at some point. The extra valves are for future add ons that I may decide to do.
51133923_515287118994234_2638417926264193024_n.jpg

OP
OP
ThriftyOregon

ThriftyOregon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My next step is to peel the black vinyl off the back of the tank and create a Shadow Box on the back. I've been seriously inspired by these pictures posted from a fellow reefer:
img_8463.jpg

uwe4.jpg
shadowtest2.jpg

I ordered a few samples of different blue acrylic. I found one with about 5% opacity. I then purchased a can of Rustoleum Frosted Glass spray paint and gave it a try:
IMG_0247.jpg
IMG_0248.jpg
I think that will work well, I can always apply a second coat if it is too transparent. Just ordered a 6ftx2ft sheet of acrylic from TAPPlastics.com so I can get this baby moving

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Separate pump for the manifold is a good idea because you’d have to mess with overflow valve everytime you made a manifold change if you used the return pump.

Neat shadow box visual effect. V

OP
OP
ThriftyOregon

ThriftyOregon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Separate pump for the manifold is a good idea because you’d have to mess with overflow valve everytime you made a manifold change if you used the return pump.

Neat shadow box visual effect. V

Yeah that's what I was thinking, I don't see too many people do it with a second pump so I just wasn't sure if there was some downside to it. Maybe added heat to the system and obviously the need for more equipment and power but I think it'll work for me.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard the transport company redd sea uses is really bad so i made the driver stay while i inspected mine. Guess i got lucky. Sorry for your tank issue. Ask the driver to hold up while you inspect the second. Good news is you have spare parts! Are they sending just a tank or fo you get a free stand and sump too?

Anyways, i ripped the back of too, but that shadow box is amazing. Just seen anyone do that before.

OP
OP
ThriftyOregon

ThriftyOregon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard the transport company redd sea uses is really bad so i made the driver stay while i inspected mine. Guess i got lucky. Sorry for your tank issue. Ask the driver to hold up while you inspect the second. Good news is you have spare parts! Are they sending just a tank or fo you get a free stand and sump too?

Anyways, i ripped the back of too, but that shadow box is amazing. Just seen anyone do that before.

I definitely will this time. They're just sending the tank itself this time, no cabinet or parts. We'll see how the shadowbox works, hopefully keeping the back glass clean wont be too much of hassle

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely will this time. They're just sending the tank itself this time, no cabinet or parts. We'll see how the shadowbox works, hopefully keeping the back glass clean wont be too much of hassle

I did a little research going into it and knew people had shipping issues, so I made buddy-buddy with the driver, I was very nice, asked about his day, we talked local sports, etc. They are only supposed to just drop it from the truck, but I nicely asked him to move it into my garage with his pallet jack and he did. Then I said hey, this is a big glass tank, do you mind if I bust it open real quick to make sure its not cracked, just to make sure? He was nice about it and even helped me open it up. so being nice to the driver may help you check it out, so if you do have issues again, you can reject the delivery.

The vinyl can be a pain to pull it all off, some times it will rip off in big strips, other times it will tear into little pieces. So with a 750, you'll likely have sore forearms after all of that... lots of gripping. The good news is that when it does come off, it comes off really clean, so it requires little to no cleaning sticky gunk. Took me maybe an hour or so to remove mine on a 450.

OP
OP
ThriftyOregon

ThriftyOregon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a little research going into it and knew people had shipping issues, so I made buddy-buddy with the driver, I was very nice, asked about his day, we talked local sports, etc. They are only supposed to just drop it from the truck, but I nicely asked him to move it into my garage with his pallet jack and he did. Then I said hey, this is a big glass tank, do you mind if I bust it open real quick to make sure its not cracked, just to make sure? He was nice about it and even helped me open it up. so being nice to the driver may help you check it out, so if you do have issues again, you can reject the delivery.

The vinyl can be a pain to pull it all off, some times it will rip off in big strips, other times it will tear into little pieces. So with a 750, you'll likely have sore forearms after all of that... lots of gripping. The good news is that when it does come off, it comes off really clean, so it requires little to no cleaning sticky gunk. Took me maybe an hour or so to remove mine on a 450.

Did you use a blade? I was thinking of practicing on my broken tank first

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ThriftyOregon Welcome to R2R! You will love the XXL750 once it's up and running. I love the shadow box idea. Looking forward to seeing it in action!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 17 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.5%

Back