Red Sea ReefMat Sweet Spot

psumms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone managed to find the overflow / forward length sweet spot with a Red Sea ReefMat 1200? Been running for approx. four weeks on my Red Sea Peninsula 650 and finding it impossible to tune my overflow so that it isn't either using the emergency drain or the dreaded constant overflow gurgle!

Every time I think I've got it set just right, a couple of days later I find it's flowing down the emergency drain. I'm sure the solution is to adjust the 'forward' length in the ReefMat settings - played with a few small adjustments but can't figure out if I need it to advance more or less each time!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone managed to find the overflow / forward length sweet spot with a Red Sea ReefMat 1200? Been running for approx. four weeks on my Red Sea Peninsula 650 and finding it impossible to tune my overflow so that it isn't either using the emergency drain or the dreaded constant overflow gurgle!

Every time I think I've got it set just right, a couple of days later I find it's flowing down the emergency drain. I'm sure the solution is to adjust the 'forward' length in the ReefMat settings - played with a few small adjustments but can't figure out if I need it to advance more or less each time!
Glad I'm not the only one! I've only a few days in but I'm noticing the ReefMat presents a bit of a challenge in fine-tuning water levels. I'm using the 0.8-1.0" auto advance amount (having tried 3-4 other settings) and have managed to just fine-tune the gate valve such that there's no gurgling.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would venture to say that the smaller the advance, the more even the flow will be. The more you roll out the more drastic the difference will be in flow

OP
OP
psumms

psumms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... the Red Sea reply: Buy a new down-flow value diaphragm! or buy the new v4 down-flow value assembly. I'm pretty sure this isn't the cause (or solution!) as I have replaced the valve - and it's clean.

Still experimenting but as far as I can tell, and pretty much as you would expect, the smaller the roll advance increment the better.

I don't know why they have so a huge number of roll advance length options when on even a large Red Sea tank with an Abyzz 200 return pump, anything over the second smallest option seems to cause issues! Lots of options are great but give people too many and problems arise!

glency

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I was thinking of adding a wye and plumb the emergency to the same line so that when it overflows it goes into the roller instead of dumping food in the sump….

OP
OP
psumms

psumms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of adding a wye and plumb the emergency to the same line so that when it overflows it goes into the roller instead of dumping food in the sump….
Not sure I would plumb them together, what if the ReefMat input pipe comb clogs? May be use some flexible pipe in through the top of the unit? … but I have also thought of popping the emergency drain to the ReefMat.

OP
OP
psumms

psumms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping this post to see if anyone else is having issues finding the balance. RedSea suggest I’m alone with this issue!!!

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No issues with the 1200 reefmat on my Max S-650 tank with the stock black valve.
Please note that I take that valve apart and clean it maybe once a month to ensure good flow and make sure no snails are in the diaphragm.

Reefdiculous22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread but did anyone figure this out? I have the 1200 and it barely catches anything. I’ve been using the same roll for months! I’ve only used 12 ft and my tank is full of debris . My sump gets full of detritus.

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread but did anyone figure this out? I have the 1200 and it barely catches anything. I’ve been using the same roll for months! I’ve only used 12 ft and my tank is full of debris . My sump gets full of detritus.
Somethings wrong. My first 12 hours running one it used 3 feet plus!

Reefdiculous22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured it out. I didn’t have the part that is attached to the overflow sealed properly .
Well mine broke after 5 days, waiting on a new drive unit. Was told essentially the chip fried itself. It’s a brick.

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well mine broke after 5 days, waiting on a new drive unit. Was told essentially the chip fried itself. It’s a brick.
Wow that was fast I had that happen but was within a year. I have a bad feeling these motors are not going to last.

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Actually faster… operated from Tuesday early AM until Friday AM then total brick. I don’t think it was the motor. It was the chipset.
Wow that was fast I had that happen but was within a year. I have a bad feeling these motors are not going to last.

shakey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That could be a great idea! Sounds logical. I have a clarisea SK-5000 and wish I had tried that.

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back