Red Sea Salt (Blue Bucket)

Bodyguard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Switching to Red Sea Blue Bucket from Tropic Marin. My routine was to mix 30gal at a time and store it doing 5gal changes every other week. With Blue Bucket I notice it says not store longer than 7 days. A bit of a bummer but has anyone stored this salt mix longer and continued to use it with no ill effects on the system?

Thanks!
-BG

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Switching to Red Sea Blue Bucket from Tropic Marin. My routine was to mix 30gal at a time and store it doing 5gal changes every other week. With Blue Bucket I notice it says not store longer than 7 days. A bit of a bummer but has anyone stored this salt mix longer and continued to use it with no ill effects on the system?

Thanks!
-BG
My experience is that after 14 days you will see a significant Alk drop and quite a lot of precipitation in the container.

It may not happen if you keep it circulating with a small pump, but I now only mix enough for a week.

Layton (OR)

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use blue bucket for awc and refill about 30 days. Don’t have any precipitation or build up in the brute. I don’t heat or circulate after mixing. Have done this with at least 400g in 30g brutes over past few years.

I didn’t even realize it had that 7 day statement. Being near nsw and without organics (like reef crystals) I don’t know why blue bucket would store any worse than similar brands like Tmp or IO.

ImThatOneGuyJoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience is that after 14 days you will see a significant Alk drop and quite a lot of precipitation in the container.

It may not happen if you keep it circulating with a small pump, but I now only mix enough for a week.
Might not be bad if you want to lower alkalinity... store it for 2 weeks, if this is true of course

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Former Tropic Marin Pro user myself. Switched to Red Sea blue bucket due to the issues with TMP. If i mix for more than 4 hours, i see brown crud. If i store it for more than a week , I see a decline of at least 1dkh.

Instructions are to mix the salt at 68F or less, for 2 hours. Then heat to temp and use. I use it within a few hours of mixing it. My mixing container stays clean and clear if i do this.

CactusReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Former Tropic Marin Pro user myself. Switched to Red Sea blue bucket due to the issues with TMP. If i mix for more than 4 hours, i see brown crud. If i store it for more than a week , I see a decline of at least 1dkh.

Instructions are to mix the salt at 68F or less, for 2 hours. Then heat to temp and use. I use it within a few hours of mixing it. My mixing container stays clean and clear if i do this.
I have a similar experience what the heck Red Sea blue bucket.

After about 2 days I will see precipitation and brown slime if left to over mix that long

Last edited:

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I have a similar experience what the heck Red Sea blue bucket.

After about 2 days I will see precipitation and brown slime if left to over mix that long

I'm sticking with Red Sea blue for the forseeable future. Its been around for quite some time and is consistent. Its widely available and price is good. I will gladly go back to TMP if i start hearing positive things about their salt.

CactusReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sticking with Red Sea blue for the forseeable future. Its been around for quite some time and is consistent. Its widely available and price is good. I will gladly go back to TMP if i start hearing positive things about their salt.
Nice, I was using Instant Ocean for some time and all I had ever used. I had been fighting tank uglies using RODI mixing water.

I switched to Red Sea experimentally and have never looked backed.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
You get residues, elements that were acticated breaking down and precipitation. If you are running a mixing station with water being heated and circulated for future use, I dont see much of an issue

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 19.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 131 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%
Back