Red Sea Salt mixing 6.4 KH

Discussion in 'Reef Chemistry by Randy Holmes-Farley' started by Becca Lane, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Becca Lane

Becca Lane Member

My Red Sea Coral Pro salt is mixing super low. I've been using the same bucket for years and never have checked until now because I am trying LPS. I have been dosing with b-ionic to maintain my alk, but weekly water changes with such a low alk refreshment make that hard.

I use distilled water, could that play a part in it? (I know an RODI unit coming soon, just moved and tank is only 12g)
    Should I try another brand of salt?
    Can I add an alk buffer to the new water before I add it to the tank?

2. Cory

Cory Valuable Member R2R Supporter Article Contributor

Theres only a few reasons, one is the salt got wet and precipitated calcium carbonate thus lowering alk.and calcium. Whats your cal?

Second is your test kit is manufactured poorly or wrong. Or your kits expired.

1.135 grams of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) in 1 gallon of ro/di is 10 dkh. (May not work with Hanna checker bit will with acid based kit)

Or the salt is actually bad.

Or your doing thr test wrong.

chipmunkofdoom2 likes this.
  3. chipmunkofdoom2

chipmunkofdoom2 Always Making Something R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor

How are you measuring your carbonate alkalinity? What kind of test kit? Is it within the expiry date?

Additionally, how are you measuring salinity? Has your salinity measurement tool been calibrated recently?

Where are you in the bucket? Top half, bottom half, etc? Salt mix is not homogeneous, so it's possible that the salt on the bottom of the bucket has less carbonate in it than the top of the bucket did.

It is possible to supplement newly-mixed saltwater, and I do that regularly with Mg and Ca. However, Red Sea Coral Pro salt generally mixes to twice the carbonate alkalinity that you're measuring, so something's off.

rkpetersen and Cory like this.
  4. Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley Reef Chemist Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Expert Contributor

You've been using the same bucket of salt (not the brand, but the actual bucket) for years?

The distilled water is of no concern.

Cory and chipmunkofdoom2 like this.
  5. hyprc

hyprc Active Member

I used to use RS Coral Pro but also was having low alk issues (which is weird because it's supposed to mix high). Had a couple batches mix very low. Switched to Frtitz RPM and it's consistent as hell.

Cory likes this.
  6. Finhead

Finhead Active Member

I'd really double check that with another test kit before doing anything. I have never had my RSCP salt mix up to anything less than 12.5 DKH at 35ppt.

Cory likes this.
  7. Becca Lane

Becca Lane Member

I have checked with Hanna, Red Sea, Salifert, and API. The bucket of salt has not gotten wet. I have had it for a year now. All other levels tests normal.

Cory likes this.
  8. hyprc

hyprc Active Member

To be completely fair and transparent, I was keeping my RS Coral Pro salt in ziplock freezer bags so some moisture from the air probably did get to it over time (took me about 6 months to go through a smaller bucket). I had put the salt in the ziplocks because the bucket was damaged and punctured a hole in the original bag during shipping (sliced my hand on it GOOD too getting the salt out)

Cory likes this.
  9. Becca Lane

Becca Lane Member

I'm looking into this salt now, thank you!

Cory likes this.
  10. Becca Lane

Becca Lane Member

Maybe because mine is older, I will just get a new batch

Cory likes this.
  11. Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley Reef Chemist Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Expert Contributor

It might just be the batch is not homogeneous (they can settle over time), or there might be some precipitate in them, but the salt is still good. Just dose up the alk and calcium as needed, assuming you are convinced the test is accurate.

chipmunkofdoom2, Cory and hyprc like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted