Red Sea Salt mixing 6.4 KH

Becca Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Red Sea Coral Pro salt is mixing super low. I've been using the same bucket for years and never have checked until now because I am trying LPS. I have been dosing with b-ionic to maintain my alk, but weekly water changes with such a low alk refreshment make that hard.

I use distilled water, could that play a part in it? (I know an RODI unit coming soon, just moved and tank is only 12g)
Should I try another brand of salt?
Can I add an alk buffer to the new water before I add it to the tank?

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres only a few reasons, one is the salt got wet and precipitated calcium carbonate thus lowering alk.and calcium. Whats your cal?

Second is your test kit is manufactured poorly or wrong. Or your kits expired.

1.135 grams of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) in 1 gallon of ro/di is 10 dkh. (May not work with Hanna checker bit will with acid based kit)

Or the salt is actually bad.

Or your doing thr test wrong.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you measuring your carbonate alkalinity? What kind of test kit? Is it within the expiry date?

Additionally, how are you measuring salinity? Has your salinity measurement tool been calibrated recently?

Where are you in the bucket? Top half, bottom half, etc? Salt mix is not homogeneous, so it's possible that the salt on the bottom of the bucket has less carbonate in it than the top of the bucket did.

It is possible to supplement newly-mixed saltwater, and I do that regularly with Mg and Ca. However, Red Sea Coral Pro salt generally mixes to twice the carbonate alkalinity that you're measuring, so something's off.

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use RS Coral Pro but also was having low alk issues (which is weird because it's supposed to mix high). Had a couple batches mix very low. Switched to Frtitz RPM and it's consistent as hell.

Finhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd really double check that with another test kit before doing anything. I have never had my RSCP salt mix up to anything less than 12.5 DKH at 35ppt.

OP
OP
Becca Lane

Becca Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have checked with Hanna, Red Sea, Salifert, and API. The bucket of salt has not gotten wet. I have had it for a year now. All other levels tests normal.

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be completely fair and transparent, I was keeping my RS Coral Pro salt in ziplock freezer bags so some moisture from the air probably did get to it over time (took me about 6 months to go through a smaller bucket). I had put the salt in the ziplocks because the bucket was damaged and punctured a hole in the original bag during shipping (sliced my hand on it GOOD too getting the salt out)

OP
OP
Becca Lane

Becca Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use RS Coral Pro but also was having low alk issues (which is weird because it's supposed to mix high). Had a couple batches mix very low. Switched to Frtitz RPM and it's consistent as hell.
I'm looking into this salt now, thank you!

OP
OP
Becca Lane

Becca Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be completely fair and transparent, I was keeping my RS Coral Pro salt in ziplock freezer bags so some moisture from the air probably did get to it over time (took me about 6 months to go through a smaller bucket). I had put the salt in the ziplocks because the bucket was damaged and punctured a hole in the original bag during shipping (sliced my hand on it GOOD too getting the salt out)
Maybe because mine is older, I will just get a new batch

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe because mine is older, I will just get a new batch

It might just be the batch is not homogeneous (they can settle over time), or there might be some precipitate in them, but the salt is still good. Just dose up the alk and calcium as needed, assuming you are convinced the test is accurate.

ssster2020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new EVO 13.5 nano tank, taking advice from this community I did a complete water change post cycle. When I tested KH after the change it came in at 7.3. Prior to the change I was getting a KH of 9. All other parameters are within acceptable range. I use Red Sea Reef salt. Should I dose to increase it or leave it alone?
My experience with FW tanks tells me to basically allow the tank to respond and find its happy place.
PS: I added the first fish, a couple of snails and crabs and a small Zoa frag yesterday.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new EVO 13.5 nano tank, taking advice from this community I did a complete water change post cycle. When I tested KH after the change it came in at 7.3. Prior to the change I was getting a KH of 9. All other parameters are within acceptable range. I use Red Sea Reef salt. Should I dose to increase it or leave it alone?
My experience with FW tanks tells me to basically allow the tank to respond and find its happy place.
PS: I added the first fish, a couple of snails and crabs and a small Zoa frag yesterday.

7.3 dKH is also perfectly acceptable and I would not worry about it. :)

That said, the idea that the tank will find its happy place does not translate to reefs. Alkalinity will drop too low eventually and will need supplementation somehow.

ssster2020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7.3 dKH is also perfectly acceptable and I would not worry about it. :)

That said, the idea that the tank will find its happy place does not translate to reefs. Alkalinity will drop too low eventually and will need supplementation somehow.
Thanks I agree and I'll just keep monitoring it and raise it when required, also since it's a new tank and the nitrate level seemed to be increasing I did a 20% change, KH remained at 7.3

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 29.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back