Red Sea's new Reef Energy AB+ is a fail.

otyrrell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Alot... now I want to get one of these and set the stuff up on a doser... well I would, but I would really miss seeing my flow neon green every night. This is easily the best way to see how my flow actually moves.

mmorriso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just finished my first 500ml bottle. I have only seen this mentioned in one of the reviews on the BRS website, but has anyone else experienced a Green Hair Algae explosion while using this?

Steve Elb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 4ml a day for SPS, that's 28ml in a week. The smallest bottle is 250ml. So I'm going to waste 222ml ever week? Measure out exactly 28ml and put that in my dosing container for my pump to never prime that little amount of solution?

I'll stick with a product that doesnt need refrigeration. Red Sea lied to us.
Keep what you don’t need refrigerated

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol complaints. Glad you have an essential job. Sorry you have to stay there. Sorry your hun hun has to feed the tank. Sorry your having bad experience. Sorry to hear you struggle. You’re essential to work and essential to your tank. Its hard I know, hard.
Can someone show me the troll emoj for bubbles lol. Dude, Robin keeps the lights on for thousands by the way!

ANDREW PRITCHARD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see why it needs to be refrigerated I've bin using since come out in my sps tank and haven't noticed anything unusual to make me want to refrigerate just left the litre bottle hooked up to doser until ran out

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This stuff is helping increase growth and color I like it

amino acid suspensions w sugars/carbs etc will grow bacteria at room temp, refrigeration lessens it

fewer bacteria digesting substrate / lasts longer

the effect of the product isn’t shocking it’s subtle, i bet it’s not hurting anything sitting out for a week before use

my tank only gets three our four drops a week max so it’s in the fridge. In a pico reef only drops are required it’s very strong algae feed if overdone in my estimate

I believe the sps pics from above it has sped up my sps too. Superman monti moving along well

mine hasn’t antlered yet. It’s a chip of super man glued onto a piece of plastic trash and magneted into place. the reef energy has sped up trash substrate coverage
today’s dosers will grow sps anywhere apparently

This is only a supplement not my main feed. It's not a complete diet.

876C4292-92EC-4CCF-83FA-97D1EB380CCE.jpeg

Last edited:

mr2beaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 4ml a day for SPS, that's 28ml in a week. The smallest bottle is 250ml. So I'm going to waste 222ml ever week? Measure out exactly 28ml and put that in my dosing container for my pump to never prime that little amount of solution?

Why not add the 28ml to water and up the amount your dosing pump pumps in then you have no trouble priming just my thoughts i don't use a dosing pump but thats what I'd do ??

mr2beaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Why not add the 28ml to water and up the amount your dosing pump pumps in then you have no trouble priming just my thoughts i don't use a dosing pump but thats what I'd do ??

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this thread is old, but has anyone noticed any increase of Nutrients after using this long term (3+ months)? I did read where someone asked if it caused an algae bloom, but didn't see a response to the post.

I have been using this for 2 weeks, but honestly I dose 8mls into a 75g/ 20g sump and have only done this twice....

I just don't want to deal with the algae bloom, been busting my tail keeping this tank clean of eyesore algae amounts.

Thanks,

Barnabie

mmorriso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I posted earlier in this thread, but yes, I had a massive algae bloom after using a modest amount of AB+ for about 3 weeks. I had made no other changes to my tank.

It took me almost 3 months to get on top of the bloom and I lost a few SPS along the way. I've since stopped using AB+. I wasn't using AB+ long enough to notice any beneficial effects, although dosing it into the tank under night time blue lighting is super cool.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I 100% believe too much w bloom eventually I see it in mini testing all the time. However I’m getting real growth boost off drops, no overdose needed. Make it a trace supplement I’d continue with it. Ill buy more when its out. I can see a change in sps i link to a few months of drops in top off water. That red blue monti above I forgot to move it for two weeks it sealed right in place, polyps on glass locked. Not a bad pest to have.

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I 100% believe too much w bloom eventually I see it in mini testing all the time. However I’m getting real growth boost off drops, no overdose needed. Make it a trace supplement I’d continue with it. Ill buy more when its out. I can see a change in sps i link to a few months of drops in top off water. That red blue monti above I forgot to move it for two weeks it sealed right in place, polyps on glass locked. Not a bad pest to have.
I know you said in your pico you were using drops. What would be the amount that you are using? say 1/2 of the recommended dose for your size tank? 1/4?

Redsea recommends 16ml for my tank, but I used 8ml once per week 1-2 days before a water change. I don't know if I should continue this? I know on your pico, you are doing 100% water changes, and i'm sure that has something to do with the algae bloom not occurring in your tank.

BTW Brandon, I my sand it vacuumed once a week and is super white! I can take a baster to the sand and there is 0 cloud! huge difference from my 29 gal. I went bare bottom on the frag tank, and I just vacuum out the trash when I hit a water change.....

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree totally there B about half to a quarter dose before wc and not left as a lingering daily addition is great, something less than full dose seems perfect I’ll keep using the product its a convenient feed source and it’s making a slow difference on color and mass growth too

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The recent posts to this thread have revolved around results and nutrient issues, so I will share my experiences.

I have used the old Reef Energy for years. I am not currently running it right now. Daily use of this will increase the growth and health of corals. Any coral by the way, not just SPS. It will be most evident in tanks where the nutrition is lacking and the corals are suffering as a result.

On the flip side, it will increase the nutrient load on the tank and can lead to algae and cyano outbreaks where the export of the tank is not sufficient to accommodate the excess nutrients. My suggestion in this case, is to reduce the dose until you see less nutrient buildup issues. Eventually coral growth will catch up and you can then slowly increase the dose, trying to balance it against the coral biomass.

Dennis

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.9%
Back