Red Serpent Starfish vs Normal

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All,

Has anyone kept one of these bright red versions of the serpent star?

I've previoisly kept a normal brown/blk stripe one for 2.5 yrs until my new peppermint shrimps killed it.

My LFS says they are reef, coral, and clam safe. While i feed my 23 fish alot in my 180g...

Q: will i have to manually feed it chunks of shrimp on a routine basis? Or will it scavenge and eat detritus, etc too? Because my wrasses/flow will never let anything settle for long on the substrate.

Q: has yours ever caught and eaten one.of your tank inhabitants?

I know its not the infamous green one... but just wanna make sure it doesnt go rogue if I dont manually hand feed it constantly.
a24c5d593a08f3ed1b161fd10d598865.jpg

OP
OP
M

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It surprises me that more people dont have this, if it is as innocent as normal serpent/banded sea stars considering how pretty it is .

I know yrs back i researched all reef safe sea stars, and I swear I woulda bought one by now if it truly was as innocent as im told.

catfishblues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one for years and it was great! It wouldn't harm a thing, cleaned all uneaten food, and knew the feeling of my hand and if I touched it would come out to eat out of my hand. Can't say whether or not it ate detritus but for me it was a almost like having a show fish rather than a clean up crew. I've had other kinds and had similar experiences and think if they're well fed they don't attack fish but I can't say for certain.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Size matters. [emoji6]

Our red one, all of our 8 serpents, have a disc size of less than a quarter, most are bigger than a nickel.

No issues whatsoever. Yet.

Lol, saw a new red serpent starfish at the LFS with a disc almost 2" across!
Had no idea they could get that big. Made me worry about mine a little bit. But not much.

Our red, pale purple and perfect dark black and bright white serpents are out more than they are hidden. I always overfeed. The serpents don't need to eat my fish.
[emoji6]

No clue how old the 2" disc red serpent starfish was. It sold last week.
Will plan on keeping an eye on ours. Hoping it will be years before I have to worry.
[emoji4]

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the heads up on the peppermint shrimp.

Had no idea they could do that.

We don't bother keeping them because we have 2 hawk fish in the tank.

The hawk fish leave the blood red fire shrimp alone and we don't want to push their ideas of what is food any further.
[emoji6]

OP
OP
M

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the heads up on the peppermint shrimp.

Had no idea they could do that.

We don't bother keeping them because we have 2 hawk fish in the tank.

The hawk fish leave the blood red fire shrimp alone and we don't want to push their ideas of what is food any further.
[emoji6]
Yeah. I no longer keep peppernint shrimp. They just get so aggressive in their picking, that they just pester things to death.

Saw them attack a longspine urchin once. and three of them took turns mounting its back and pulling spines out one at a time.

Maybe they just get aggressive when they get bigger and pick and pick..

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a large one about 8" across. Lived in my brothers tank for years... had a couple fish disappear, but couldn't pin it to the starfish.... As for eating detritus - absolutely. My Brother thought his died. Found him in the overflow like 6 mo later.

mine currently resides in the sump of my growout tank. I had it in the main tank, but I'm pretty sure it was taking out some zoas. I don't is think it ate them normally, but i think the Zoas would catch food, and the starfish tried to eat the food but ended up taking the whole Zoa....

i don't have any evidence that this star is a fish eater - but i don't want to have to find out at the expense of one of my fish.... so he will stay in the sump. I break off piece of LRS every once in a whileand feed it by hand.

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It surprises me that more people dont have this, if it is as innocent as normal serpent/banded sea stars considering how pretty it is .

I know yrs back i researched all reef safe sea stars, and I swear I woulda bought one by now if it truly was as innocent as im told.
They are uncommon in the trade now. I had one twenty years ago. They get big, super cool. Would have one again if I ever find one!

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ones I've seen recently have been expensive, but if you find them and want to pay it they are very cool. With specimens I've kept they've never bothered anything.

ReefGrammie

Must...stay...away...from...live...sales...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone kept one of these bright red versions of the serpent star?

Q: has yours ever caught and eaten one.of your tank inhabitants?
Wow, that's beautiful! I've had a red serpent star for at least 8 years, though not as bright as that one! More of a burgundy color. Disk is probably close to 2 inches. I tried to find him just now for a picture, but he must be hiding.

I've seen him right up against my goby/other living fish and he never bothers the fish. I do throw in a piece or 2 of thawed krill, which makes him very happy. I do this when he comes flying out from hiding at feeding time. Makes me think he's hungry! Otherwise, he just does his scavenging thing.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one on my tank it's about 10-12 inches across its arms and about a 1.5in center disk... he actually lives with my eel in the same cave. When I feed he comes out to get some food. I usually give him a piece of krill when I feed the eel and hell take it feed itself and go back I to the rocks. Never bothers the fish. But the fish tend to steal the food out of its arms, so I'm always trying to keep them away when it eats. I gotta get some better pics. I only took one when I first got it and was acclimating it. they're expensive compared to other stars. But they really stand out..

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back