Red Slime taking over

  • Thread starter Thread starter Connie
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 2, 2011
Messages
2,091
Reaction score
58
Location
Alabama
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of a sudden, red slime algae is taking over my tank. The only time I had a problem with this is when the tank was brand new and cycling and it died off on its own. How do I get rid of it?
 
Lights out for 3 days, increase flow, run gfo/carbon if not already, and check the TDS on your RO/DI, might be time for a filter change.... also, how old are your bulbs I started getting it when my bulbs needed to be changed. If all else fails Boyd's Chemi-clean, but its really a band-aide not the solution.
 
Thanks chort. Bulbs about a month old, will corals suffer from 3 days with no lights? Thanks for te help!
 
No they should be fine. I have heard of people dropping the light cycle to 4 hours or less but it generally took a few extra days. Personally I have done the 3 days and it wasn't a big deal, and I have pretty much all sps.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 7 38.9%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 16.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new