Red Tail Triggerfish

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A red tail i would think would be fine in a reef tank without any inverts.

buckeye82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got the Nigel trigger out of my 140 gallon reef. Mixed feelings as it was a super fun personality fish that never once bothered another fish or coral but was over the top territorial with anything new that entered the tank or any frag I would move around. I cuss a lot less now with the fish out of my tank as I no longer have to go fishing for missing frags that it would pick up and carry all over the tank and drop in the worst possible spot. I also no longer have to constantly level my sandbed from the burrowing it did on a daily basis. The day it picked up my scoly (wish I had on video to prove) and moved to the other side of the tank to only get dropped on my hammer was its kiss of death and last day it was in my tank. So my advice is if nothing in your tank will change and its established you are probably fine but if you get new corals often I would not get that kind of trigger at least. Best of luck.

OP
OP
Cleo642

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got the Nigel trigger out of my 140 gallon reef. Mixed feelings as it was a super fun personality fish that never once bothered another fish or coral but was over the top territorial with anything new that entered the tank or any frag I would move around. I cuss a lot less now with the fish out of my tank as I no longer have to go fishing for missing frags that it would pick up and carry all over the tank and drop in the worst possible spot. I also no longer have to constantly level my sandbed from the burrowing it did on a daily basis. The day it picked up my scoly (wish I had on video to prove) and moved to the other side of the tank to only get dropped on my hammer was its kiss of death and last day it was in my tank. So my advice is if nothing in your tank will change and its established you are probably fine but if you get new corals often I would not get that kind of trigger at least. Best of luck.
What did you do with him? Some triggers can be infamous for redecorating and mooching things around. Triggers aren't the most reef safe, but if people want to have a trigger, best bet is a red tail or blue throat I believe.

buckeye82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you do with him? Some triggers can be infamous for redecorating and mooching things around. Triggers aren't the most reef safe, but if people want to have a trigger, best bet is a red tail or blue throat I believe.

Gave him to a buddy that has a better setup for him. I had him in there for over a year and the goods outweighed the bad until the event with the scoly.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think a very large aquariums (180/225/240) are hard to care for?

A smaller system, say 75 gals & below, lets you get your feet wet without hitting you too hard in the pocket book. It allows you to learn the ropes without making too costly a mistake. I recommend a 40 breeder for most newbies because it can later be used as a frag tank or QT.

With a large aquarium, the cost for everything goes way up and there is also more work involved. Not double the work, per se; but it is going to take up more of your time and it's more difficult to "clean up" if you get lax on maintenance, water changes, etc.

OP
OP
Cleo642

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A smaller system, say 75 gals & below, lets you get your feet wet without hitting you too hard in the pocket book. It allows you to learn the ropes without making too costly a mistake. I recommend a 40 breeder for most newbies because it can later be used as a frag tank or QT.

With a large aquarium, the cost for everything goes way up and there is also more work involved. Not double the work, per se; but it is going to take up more of your time and it's more difficult to "clean up" if you get lax on maintenance, water changes, etc.
I kept freshwater tanks for years, even discus for a little while. I had an amazon setup planted tank where I ran peat. I had a pair of angelfish and a pair of corydoras who attempted breeding. I am not new to keeping am aquarium per se, just new to salt water. Yeah, 225 and 240 might be a little large to handle. As far as money goes, when I finally get my plant job it shouldn't be a problem, and the only way I'll start is when I get a job. Other people want a boat or a swimming pool, I don't, I want this.
I just think that breaking down a smaller tank because I wanna upgrade to a larger is probably a butt pain.
Like I said it all depends on my living situation.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I forgot to mention - A lot of people buy a smaller tank, and then want to upgrade because they find out the fish they like need to be in a larger system. This happens a lot with tangs, who need a tank with plenty of swimming room. So, it all comes down to knowing yourself and what you really like in this hobby. If you really like corals, and the fish are just in there for movement, then you can make just about any size tank work. Same holds true if you like blennies, gobies and other small fish. But if you find you really love tangs (especially Acanthurus), large angels and/or predator fish (triggers, groupers, lions, eels, etc.) then my recommendation would be to get the biggest tank you think you can handle/afford.

I've been doing this for 35+ years now - my dad started me out at age 5, so I'm not quite as old as it might appear. ;) Like you, I've done freshwater tanks even seriously breeding angels & discus for awhile. I can tell you flat out there is no comparison. I might spend 5-10 mins per day doing something on my 90 gal planted tank. Maybe clean the glass every couple of weeks. But even with my current setup - just a 150 gal mixed reef - everyday it's at least 30 mins to 1hr of something that has to be done. And then I'm always cleaning/sterilizing QTs. Some days it's almost like having a part time job. ;)

Reeferdude56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I already mentioned bluethroats on your post about Scopas tangs. Blue throats are awesome especially if you can get a
Female and male pair. They also are very shy so aggressiveness will not be a problem. It's also really fun to see them feed because when the bite you can hear and popping noise of them closing their jaws on the food.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a Niger trigger in a mixed reef. Had him for a few years. Left cleaner and coral banded shrimp alone. Clean up crew even existed alongside him.

I ended up selling him to make space. This was my first 2 or 3 years in the hobby and my first reef tank.

OP
OP
Cleo642

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I forgot to mention - A lot of people buy a smaller tank, and then want to upgrade because they find out the fish they like need to be in a larger system. This happens a lot with tangs, who need a tank with plenty of swimming room. So, it all comes down to knowing yourself and what you really like in this hobby. If you really like corals, and the fish are just in there for movement, then you can make just about any size tank work. Same holds true if you like blennies, gobies and other small fish. But if you find you really love tangs (especially Acanthurus), large angels and/or predator fish (triggers, groupers, lions, eels, etc.) then my recommendation would be to get the biggest tank you think you can handle/afford.

I've been doing this for 35+ years now - my dad started me out at age 5, so I'm not quite as old as it might appear. ;) Like you, I've done freshwater tanks even seriously breeding angels & discus for awhile. I can tell you flat out there is no comparison. I might spend 5-10 mins per day doing something on my 90 gal planted tank. Maybe clean the glass every couple of weeks. But even with my current setup - just a 150 gal mixed reef - everyday it's at least 30 mins to 1hr of something that has to be done. And then I'm always cleaning/sterilizing QTs. Some days it's almost like having a part time job. ;)
I get it, but I don't have any kids, I not married, I am 40 years old. It's only me, I am definitely not planning on having any kids. So more than likely this aquarium will be my baby. Lol.
Maybe one day I can learn to dive too in my older years.lol

ice fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a male blue throat in my tank for a good 2-3 months now. I had peppermint shrimp inverts and snails and a linkia star. He hasnt touched or gone after any of them. He pretty much is a model citizen with them and my corals. He's a bit shy but still personable. If you want a "reef safe" trigger go for a blue throat or red tail. But there are always the black sheep that will go after everything. Just be prepared for that. No two fish are the same. Also dont ever put a lion with them. Triggers and lions dont mix. Tried it with my fuzzy and the blue throat nipped his tail fin to shreds and had to pull the lion. Thankfully he's grown his tail back. Good luck with your tank though!

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah try having three six foot tanks and a busy, full 55 gal qt!

OP
OP
Cleo642

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a male blue throat in my tank for a good 2-3 months now. I had peppermint shrimp inverts and snails and a linkia star. He hasnt touched or gone after any of them. He pretty much is a model citizen with them and my corals. He's a bit shy but still personable. If you want a "reef safe" trigger go for a blue throat or red tail. But there are always the black sheep that will go after everything. Just be prepared for that. No two fish are the same. Also dont ever put a lion with them. Triggers and lions dont mix. Tried it with my fuzzy and the blue throat nipped his tail fin to shreds and had to pull the lion. Thankfully he's grown his tail back. Good luck with your tank though!
I wouldn't a lionfish anyway, they are allot like many predatory fish. Anything smaller than itself they can swallow whole.

OP
OP
Cleo642

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_2015-07-20-21-25-03.png
Yeah try having three six foot tanks and a busy, full 55 gal qt!
I want an 180,that's midway.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_2015-07-20-21-25-03.png

I want an 180,that's midway.

180 is a great size. I have two 180 and a 125, and a 55 qt.

My next house I will combine my 180 tang reef and 180 wrasse reef to one ten foot tank, and my 180 angel tank will be upgraded to another ten foot tank. I'll keep the 125 as a giant qt and that'll be it

OP
OP
Cleo642

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
180 is a great size. I have two 180 and a 125, and a 55 qt.

My next house I will combine my 180 tang reef and 180 wrasse reef to one ten foot tank, and my 180 angel tank will be upgraded to another ten foot tank. I'll keep the 125 as a giant qt and that'll be it
Wow, that's will be amazing. Always good to dream bigger.
Are your tanks acrylic or glass?

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back