Red Tail Triggerfish

ice fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lions are great fish. There part of the reason i got into the hobby actually. I went with the smaller lions though as you can keep a lot more fish with them. I've had many small fish that my lion could eat next to it and it doesnt show any interest. Could be my lion, or the fact it stays well fed. Like any predator. If its sated and well fed its not going to hunt for more food when its handed to them. Once they learn they dont have to work for there food there not going to unless you stop feeding them.

ice fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want acrylic because it's lighter. Oh, you can see the Diesel tank on the last page of his thread. I couldn't see it either in the beginning. I wonder how a someone finds a 202 gallon tank.
Acrylic has its problems. I personally will not go acrylic because its scratches VERY VERY VERY easy. Your going to eventually scratch it no matter how hard you try not to. I would suggest glass even though its heavier.

OP
OP
Cleo642

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic has its problems. I personally will not go acrylic because its scratches VERY VERY VERY easy. Your going to eventually scratch it no matter how hard you try not to. I would suggest glass even though its heavier.
I live by myself, so I can probably pick up the 180 gallon by myself. But I can't pick up a 29 or 55 gallon glass tank by myself. Maybe I won't have the acrylic long before I upgrade anyway. I am just think about what's easier on me. Acrylic has its benefits too I guess.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current 150 gal is acrylic and it's a love/hate relationship. I love the fact that it's lightweight, easy to move when the time comes, and I don't have to really worry about a seam leaking. But I hate when I'm gone for a couple of weeks and come back home to encrusted algae on the panels that's a SOB to get off. At least with glass you can always use a razor blade if it ever gets too bad.

OP
OP
Cleo642

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current 150 gal is acrylic and it's a love/hate relationship. I love the fact that it's lightweight, easy to move when the time comes, and I don't have to really worry about a seam leaking. But I hate when I'm gone for a couple of weeks and come back home to encrusted algae on the panels that's a SOB to get off. At least with glass you can always use a razor blade if it ever gets too bad.
They all have their ups and downs.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They all have their ups and downs.

IMHO; acrylic is best suited for attention to detail types who will be careful not to scratch the panels. And who won't get lax on cleaning the panels either. Neither is me. ;)

My dream tank (right now) is probably a 300 gal deep dimension. I need something tall so I can keep batfish again.

Rattooth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass . This tank is pretty old . Around 15 years? It has some scratches even being glass . An acrylic would have a lot more! I have had 3 acrylics in years past . Very difficult( for me ) to keep pristine. They were all small 65 gallon Clarity Plus. Awe - nostalgia . Those tanks had some nice features. Huge sump. I think sump held more water than tank. And very light weight.

On the really big side , I had a friend in San Diego, with a really big acrylic tank. I believe the tank was 45 feet long. It was written up in one of the magazines when it was installed. It was lowered thru roof by a crane. Traffic had to be stopped on street when it was put in. The building was a former bank. One night tank debonded and exploded. Fortunately no one was there at time. Something to keep in mind with acrylic.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never get anything done. ;)
I'm a pretty productive guy. I get up 30-60 mins early every day for daily maintenance, nori, checks, water changes, etc.

OP
OP
Cleo642

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass . This tank is pretty old . Around 15 years? It has some scratches even being glass . An acrylic would have a lot more! I have had 3 acrylics in years past . Very difficult( for me ) to keep pristine. They were all small 65 gallon Clarity Plus. Awe - nostalgia . Those tanks had some nice features. Huge sump. I think sump held more water than tank. And very light weight.

On the really big side , I had a friend in San Diego, with a really big acrylic tank. I believe the tank was 45 feet long. It was written up in one of the magazines when it was installed. It was lowered thru roof by a crane. Traffic had to be stopped on street when it was put in. The building was a former bank. One night tank debonded and exploded. Fortunately no one was there at time. Something to keep in mind with acrylic.
The tank exploded? Glass seams can leak/explode too. That's a nightmare, I want a 6' 180 gallon. I love by myself and have to be able to handle it myself without a hernia. Lol. I am sure I will have to get a an acrylic first. Learning experiences.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
****! You can afford gem tangs! Twinkle, twinkle. Lol
I mean I could afford it but I have many things I would rather buy with 3000... Like 10 fish. $300 is my limit, that's my wheelhouse. I have a 500 dollar fish but I didn't pay that. I've never paid over $300 for a fish, and won't in the foreseeable future. That's my upper limit, give or take 20 bucks

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a pretty productive guy. I get up 30-60 mins early every day for daily maintenance, nori, checks, water changes, etc.

I'm the guy who is still sleeping while you're up early being productive. ;)

****! You can afford gem tangs! Twinkle, twinkle. Lol

Remember I told you about Coral Fever in Raceland? He got in 6 Gem Tangs last week. I believe he's looking for a Peppermint Angel for a client.

OP
OP
Cleo642

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I bet they had a mess to clean up, that must have been a tsunami.

OP
OP
Cleo642

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm the guy who is still sleeping while you're up early being productive. ;)

Remember I told you about Coral Fever in Raceland? He got in 6 Gem Tangs last week. I believe he's looking for a Peppermint Angel for a client.
Did you see my and @3FordFamily discussion with Diesel on the purple tang thread?

OP
OP
Cleo642

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two actually! :D
You should do one reef and one discus planted tank. That would be my dream if I had two gigantic tanks.
Screenshot_2015-07-10-12-31-11.png

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back