Red Tail Triggerfish

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my Sargassum trigger, have had him for a few months now. I originally had a pair but the one wasn't eating when it came in and just wouldn't eat no matter how many different types of food I tried. I noticed they were also pretty ich prone compared to other fish. I think a bluejaw would be an easier trigger to keep, but I think the Sargassum is a gorgeous fish and have wanted one for years. He doesn't touch my peppermint shrimp or cleaners. He also leaves my hermits and snails alone. As far as other fish, he definitely lets them know he is the ruler of the tank, but other than posturing up he has been good. I do worry about him biting me though as he is extremely curious of my arm and hand. And pretty much anything I have in my hand he will bite. Meaning acrylic scraper, magic eraser, frag plug, toothbrush...etc

OP
OP
Cleo642

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my Sargassum trigger, have had him for a few months now. I originally had a pair but the one wasn't eating when it came in and just wouldn't eat no matter how many different types of food I tried. I noticed they were also pretty ich prone compared to other fish. I think a bluejaw would be an easier trigger to keep, but I think the Sargassum is a gorgeous fish and have wanted one for years. He doesn't touch my peppermint shrimp or cleaners. He also leaves my hermits and snails alone. As far as other fish, he definitely lets them know he is the ruler of the tank, but other than posturing up he has been good. I do worry about him biting me though as he is extremely curious of my arm and hand. And pretty much anything I have in my hand he will bite. Meaning acrylic scraper, magic eraser, frag plug, toothbrush...etc

Lol, "he is extremely curious of my arm", maybe he just wants a taste.
Coincidentally, I was looking up triggerfish bites the day, they have teeth.
Blue throat probably is s better choice but the blue throat and the red tail are more reef compatible than an undulate triggerfish. Those suckers are mean.

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh for sure they have teeth, nice large one's. He can slice through a large krill like a paper cutter. I definitely get nervous when I can't see where he is and my arm is in there.

OP
OP
Cleo642

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh for sure they have teeth, nice large one's. He can slice through a large krill like a paper cutter. I definitely get nervous when I can't see where he is and my arm is in there.
I watched a video on YouTube where a guy had a Niger Trigger. That would try to take chunks out of his arm. Seriously,it didn't tire.

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched a video on YouTube where a guy had a Niger Trigger. That would try to take chunks out of his arm. Seriously,it didn't tire.

The video a few pages back of the one going after his arm is pretty wild. I had a Niger Trigger years ago in a reef, was fine with cleaners but after having him for 6-7mths I came home from work as usual and all my fish were in corners of the tank. He turned super aggressive overnight and was just tearing fins and destroying his tank mates. Luckily he didn't kill anyone, but that was the last time I'll have one.

OP
OP
Cleo642

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The video a few pages back of the one going after his arm is pretty wild. I had a Niger Trigger years ago in a reef, was fine with cleaners but after having him for 6-7mths I came home from work as usual and all my fish were in corners of the tank. He turned super aggressive overnight and was just tearing fins and destroying his tank mates. Luckily he didn't kill anyone, but that was the last time I'll have one.
That's the video I was talking about. They are attack dogs.

reefndude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just introduced a blue throat to my reef, only been couple of weeks. So far hasn't bothered any shrimp including 2 sexy shrimp. He's just now getting comfortable in the tank.
Time will tell how he is...

jason142

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a red tail and blue throat pair in my reef and they don't mess with anything. I had a few cleaner shrimp in there when I first got the triggers and they never messed with them but I had to remove them when I treated interceptor for red bugs. I tried to add then back in after and that was not a good idea, the red tail had himself a nice little meal. My first female blue throat was a had biter also but she got sick and passed to I got another and she is chill. The only time the red tail bothers me is if I get my hand to close to his cave he sleeps in, pretty protective over that area.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yikes that sounds like what people say clown triggers do

OP
OP
Cleo642

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a red tail and blue throat pair in my reef and they don't mess with anything. I had a few cleaner shrimp in there when I first got the triggers and they never messed with them but I had to remove them when I treated interceptor for red bugs. I tried to add then back in after and that was not a good idea, the red tail had himself a nice little meal. My first female blue throat was a had biter also but she got sick and passed to I got another and she is chill. The only time the red tail bothers me is if I get my hand to close to his cave he sleeps in, pretty protective over that area.
They are smart and protective.

Steve Elb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_2015-07-20-21-25-03.png

I want an 180,that's midway.
I have a 7ft 210 with African cichlids. Great tanks

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 55.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.6%
Back