Red tentacle things attached to Live Rock

kaijor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

I was wondering if someone could help identify what this is on the live rock in the picture. It looks like there are a couple of red tentacles on the live rock. I just wanted to double check what they are before I put any corals in the tank as I don't want any hitchhikers kill them.

ktbqe0g.jpg

n8GnrDR.jpg

eTx8jIO.jpg

CRath

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pictures are a little hard to see what going on. If what you are talking about is in the middle, left of your top picture it looks like some kind of red macro algae. You can test by touching them. If they are slightly rubbery and don't flow around too much you should be fin. Some macro algae attach to rocks and form thin branched clumps. If they are gooey then it may be cyano bacteria which is basically unavoidable when using live rock.

OP
OP
K

kaijor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pictures are a little hard to see what going on. If what you are talking about is in the middle, left of your top picture it looks like some kind of red macro algae. You can test by touching them. If they are slightly rubbery and don't flow around too much you should be fin. Some macro algae attach to rocks and form thin branched clumps. If they are gooey then it may be cyano bacteria which is basically unavoidable when using live rock.
It's more rubbery. I wouldn't say it's smooth or anything. I doesn't move around at all really kind stay in place. There's definitely no gooeyness or anything when I touch it.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 63 54.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back