Redoing my sump

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my current setup is getting cluttered in the display with large amounts of frags from corals I'm growing out for trade. I'm sitting on about 30+ frags that I'm growing out which is making my DT a bit ugly. What I'm thinking of doing is removing my entire sump emptying it out and giving it a good cleaning. It's full of detitrus that covers the bottom of all 3 bays. I have about 20lbs of live rock in the middle section. that I would try to either break up or get rid of.

The game plan would be to take it apart clean everything then break up the live rock then wash it off. Once its washed place it into the center section making a layer that I can put a large frag rack on. This way I can move all of my frags into the sump. I'll have a cheap orbit LED strip for now with a small power head (out of all the frags about 20-25 are zoas)

has anyone ever done this or something similar? when I google search it i find maybe 2 or 3 threads but no one gives any real decent input on how it worked out over time.

Here is the sump setup. The photo is old but the sump is still the same as this photo except I now run a cheato reactor. The small tank on the right is no longer setup because its just a pain trying to have a frag tank not on the same system.

yu.png

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don't you put the small tank on the same system? Just run an overflow back into your sump and either t off your return with a valve for adjustment if your pump is large enough or use a small sepperate pump. You don't need a huge amount of flow to get good turnover in a small tank. You can make a simple pvc overflow for it.

Just my oppinion since you already have the small tank set up.

OP
OP
Jisko

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don't you put the small tank on the same system? Just run an overflow back into your sump and either t off your return with a valve for adjustment if your pump is large enough or use a small sepperate pump. You don't need a huge amount of flow to get good turnover in a small tank. You can make a simple pvc overflow for it.

Just my oppinion since you already have the small tank set up.

Some day I'll build a custom frag tank to fit that spot and plumb it into my main setup. However I need a quick fix to the problem. I have another order of 16 frags coming this week on top of the ones I already have. I also plan to break up some zoa colonies so I'm gonna need a spot for almost 50 frags until I can get a frag tank up and going

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But the space in the sump looks even smaller than the tank. If you just go bare bottom with some egg crate from home depot you shouldn't even have to cycle it. You already have the current lighting

Super easy overflow. You don't even need to make the slots if you don't have fish in it

OP
OP
Jisko

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the overflow but i just need a custom tank because im limited to 18x18 on the side of the tank :\

I also hate that overflow design he has haha I have a glass holes box still in the box I'm gonna be using once I get the tank built

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said emergency lol. My issue south the sump its the space looks smaller, you can't control flow, the depth you'll achieve, and microbubbles.. But then in talking Abbott my sump set up so maybe yours is different either way nice tank

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back