Red's 100g tank

red.beard

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 29, 2012
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very new guy to the hobby. Going to try and document my setup. Purchased a used 100g tank with stand and hood. The setup came with a 3 compartment sump/refugium (not sure if that is the same thing or not, and I don't know how to reassemble or setup, yet), large protein skimmer, two metal halide lights, a blue fluorescent light, couple heaters, sump/refugium light, couple pumps and a lot of clear hose and other various things needed. I just purchased a 5 stage rodi system from BRS as well. Currently, the small tank (refugium/sump?),large tank, pumps and plumbing are soaking in vinegar and tap water. I have to go pick the stand up later today and that will need some minor cleanup/maintenance as well.

Current objective is to get tanks, stand and plumbing cleaned up (there's some rust on the halide lights too, not sure what I'm going to do with that yet) and start to try to get the thing reassembled so I can leak test it. I don't have my stand yet so I'm just going to post some pics of what's soaking (it'll be neat to look back and see all the progress hopefully).

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg


-RB
 
Welcome to R2R! Thanks for joining and please make sure and post often!

Vinegar and water will go a long way to cleaning up the tank and equipment!
 
Nice looking start, lots of soaking and some elbow grease to get things cleaned up. Look foward to following along on your build. As you have questions don't hesitate to ask ;)
 
I can't wait to see what you do with this tank!! Good luck!
 
I got the sump cleaned up and reassembled the protein skimmer, wanted to do a test run (curious about how it works) and put the skimmer in the sump outside with tap water in it, should it be making small bubbles? I hope not, cause it's not.
 
Here's a picture, not sure if anyone can see what I might have done wrong...
6.jpg
 
I might be mistaken but I don't think protien skimmers work in fresh water.
 
Thanks Henry C, that makes me feel a lot better. =) Did a couple searches too and read that they're not supposed to make the "skimmate" in fresh water that I was looking for.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new