OP
OP
bdouglas119

bdouglas119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent had a chance to dial in the flow through the sump. Its going to be pretty low flow but good enough for a refugium which is what I will be using it for

OP
OP
bdouglas119

bdouglas119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish and corals should be going in tonight. Going to dip all the corals just to be safe even though there are no pest that I have seen in my current tank. and use peroxide to kill any algea that could be coming in. After that just a couple small things to button up and then I can finally sit back and enjoy the new set up.

OP
OP
bdouglas119

bdouglas119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
628EAA63-F22C-4CA8-9FB5-EA75BC0F4E24.jpeg

calimako

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
this is awesome. def following. how is the flow valve dial? my biggest gripe on the earlier models was that the stock flow valve was way too finicky. i've seen ppl swap them out with gate valves. I read that redsea improved the valve on your model. was it pretty easy to tune?

looks beautiful man!

OP
OP
bdouglas119

bdouglas119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is awesome. def following. how is the flow valve dial? my biggest gripe on the earlier models was that the stock flow valve was way too finicky. i've seen ppl swap them out with gate valves. I read that redsea improved the valve on your model. was it pretty easy to tune?

looks beautiful man!
The valve is actually terrible haha. I am not even able to get it to close all the way so even with my return at 100% it’s draining faster then the pump can keep up and makes a lot of noise. I’m just going to swap it for a gate valve. There is enough space to do it pretty easily and BRS sells the metic to US pvc adaptors

calimako

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The valve is actually terrible haha. I am not even able to get it to close all the way so even with my return at 100% it’s draining faster then the pump can keep up and makes a lot of noise. I’m just going to swap it for a gate valve. There is enough space to do it pretty easily and BRS sells the metic to US pvc adaptors
ugh red sea.. and they got my hopes high saying that they corrected it with a new better valve.
1623603296342.png

boo. i find it ridiculous that new owners have to swap these out with other gate valves from the get go, but it still doesn't stop me from wanting to upgrade to a reefer-s. :p
gotta ask one more q. how many ppl did it take to get that DT on to the stand? any tips to share getting that done?
congrats again

OP
OP
bdouglas119

bdouglas119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ugh red sea.. and they got my hopes high saying that they corrected it with a new better valve.
1623603296342.png

boo. i find it ridiculous that new owners have to swap these out with other gate valves from the get go, but it still doesn't stop me from wanting to upgrade to a reefer-s. :p
gotta ask one more q. how many ppl did it take to get that DT on to the stand? any tips to share getting that done?
congrats again
Honestly my return pump is a bit small but in my opinion I should be able to turn it as far as fully closed if I wanted and it just won’t. It is really dumb that they keep sticking to this design after so many complaints. I don’t understand why they don’t use a gate valve but thankfully it doesn’t look to hard to swap out.

OP
OP
bdouglas119

bdouglas119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish and coral are in. Nothing is glued yet just letting everything get used to the new system. I still need to get someone to lend me a par meter so I can tune the lights. Waiting for the water to fully clear up. It’s still a bit cloudy from the addition of the ocean direct live sand and likely a bacterial bloom.
080BCD2F-768B-402A-89B9-6597DF5F4BBD.jpeg
7A1E64CA-DC77-45D2-AFAF-85F3FA129D52.jpeg
820AAB80-0031-4C50-8490-74176BA45A62.jpeg

OP
OP
bdouglas119

bdouglas119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly my return pump is a bit small but in my opinion I should be able to turn it as far as fully closed if I wanted and it just won’t. It is really dumb that they keep sticking to this design after so many complaints. I don’t understand why they don’t use a gate valve but thankfully it doesn’t look to hard to swap out.
Also it took 6 of us to lift it

OP
OP
bdouglas119

bdouglas119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1623603296342.png

congrats again
So I talked with Red Sea. The valve isnt meant to close all the way, and they do recommend on the spec sheet a return pump with higher flow then my existing pump. My plan was to upgrade my return eventually but in the meantime I am going to upgrade the valve to a gate valve so I can dial it in to my existing pump and save on any headaches down the road. I'm honestly not sure when I'll upgrade returns. My Ecotech S2 is 1400gph, thats 4x turnover an hour through the sump which honestly is plenty with the amount of intake flow I have.

OP
OP
bdouglas119

bdouglas119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the tank has had bacterial bloom the last couple days. I know this will go away soon and go back to crystal clear water so it does not concern me right now. I am looking forward to going to Reefapalooza NY in a couple of weeks and picking up some corals to add to the tank. In the meantime I am just going to let it run and settle in.
E7B30AC2-F6A4-462A-A374-2D58CBE21098.jpeg

OP
OP
bdouglas119

bdouglas119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parts ordered to upgrade the downflow valve to a gate valve. They should be here Friday and installed this weekend. I picked up some 40mm couplers, unions, and an adaptor to convert it to 1 1/4" Pipe from CoralVue. I ordered grey piping ,schedule 80 fittings/unions, and a spears gate valve from BRS to match the existing set up. It should look like it came that way when I'm done.

Back