redsea reefwave pump 25

DS5000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in process of getting a redsea max 170 reef tank up and running. Looking at powerheads traditional vs newer wave pump tech. Looks like I would need 2 'regular' powerheads vs a single wave pump (ie redsea reefwave). I an new to the hobby - seems single wavepump would be more streamlined, effective and potentially cheaper than two higher end single powerheads?
Appreciate thoughts/opinions

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this depends on the type of flow you're going for. Two powerheads and two gyre pumps will always create a more chaotic and random flow pattern. A single gyre will do a good job of getting flow to many different places in the tank, but you can create the same flow type with a powerhead with a narrow style of flow and the correct GPH.

I would highly suggest sitting and watching all the BRS powerhead and flow videos. They will help you greatly with deciding on whats best for your tank. This video is directly related to your question.

Also if you're looking for a more budget minded flow setup, maxspect just released their "jump" series which is a aimed to be a compromise between features and pricing. Jebao is a chinese manufacture that makes copies of most of the higher end pumps for fractions of the price. People have good things to say about them. I run a SLW-10 in my tank and love it for the price. Two of those or two SLW-20's would do great in your tank as well. I like them because they are super low profile and still DC controllable. Jebao also makes Gyre copies as well, it would be easier to justify two of those to start out with too. Lots of choices in the pump world.

OP
OP
D

DS5000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Koski - i am aiming for soft and LPS coral with fish
Do u think a single gyre wavepump would be sufficient to create sufficient flow in the cube 45gal? I watch that linked video - was great at illustrating the flow characteristics

KTrevino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Koski - i am aiming for soft and LPS coral with fish
Do u think a single gyre wavepump would be sufficient to create sufficient flow in the cube 45gal? I watch that linked video - was great at illustrating the flow characteristics
Yes that will be good, for LPS and softies you will probably need a lower speed on it.

Sortega

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a red sea reefer 170 and actually switched from running two MP10s to two Red Sea gyres. I personally like the flow from the gyre much more than the MP10s. That is just my opinion as you will definitely be trading off some of the programmable settings of the mp10 that the gyre just can't do.

One gyre is definitely enough for the red sea 170 tanks. I ended up buying two because I personally didn't like how all of my euphyllia were constantly being pushed in one direction.

I have my two gyres placed on the right and left of the 170 tank. With the reef beat app I have them set to alternate in power. So for example my left gyre will go for 20 seconds at 40% power while my right gyre is at 10%. Then they will swap. It's actually pretty cool because you can see the water turbulence shift from left to right in the tank. Also my corals aren't constantly being hit from the same side.

Note that the reverse setting is only like 10% power of the regular forward setting. So one gyre can't fully alternate the gyre direction.

Quintin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a red sea reefer 170 and actually switched from running two MP10s to two Red Sea gyres. I personally like the flow from the gyre much more than the MP10s. That is just my opinion as you will definitely be trading off some of the programmable settings of the mp10 that the gyre just can't do.

One gyre is definitely enough for the red sea 170 tanks. I ended up buying two because I personally didn't like how all of my euphyllia were constantly being pushed in one direction.

I have my two gyres placed on the right and left of the 170 tank. With the reef beat app I have them set to alternate in power. So for example my left gyre will go for 20 seconds at 40% power while my right gyre is at 10%. Then they will swap. It's actually pretty cool because you can see the water turbulence shift from left to right in the tank. Also my corals aren't constantly being hit from the same side.

Note that the reverse setting is only like 10% power of the regular forward setting. So one gyre can't fully alternate the gyre direction.
You have them mounted horizontally at the top of the tank on each side just below the water line or vertical on each side at the back?

Some pics would greatly be appreciated.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back