OP
OP
redtop03

redtop03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks great, I love the idea of a plywood tank.

thank you very much.....using plywood is the only way I could afford a large tank,I have been looking into using the solar tubes like you used over your tank plus blue LEDs because I like the more blue look in my tank,if I like the way yours looks with the blue mesh,I may plan to rely fully on the sun for light,either way,using the 4x250w halides are killing me on power consumption

jdpiii3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you very much.....using plywood is the only way I could afford a large tank,I have been looking into using the solar tubes like you used over your tank plus blue LEDs because I like the more blue look in my tank,if I like the way yours looks with the blue mesh,I may plan to rely fully on the sun for light,either way,using the 4x250w halides are killing me on power consumption

In order for me to go larger I had to find a way to lower the electric bill. My old 150 reef had three 250 MH & four 6 ft VHO bulbs & a 1/3hp chiller. The amount of heat that system made also caused our central air to run all of the time during the summer months. Going solar lighting lowered our electric bill about 40% a month. I'm now looking to add a couple solar electric panels to the roof to create electric to run the pumps.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man she (your tank) is a beauty!

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am really likeing the plywood idea and im wondering how you go about putting the overflows into it???any pictures of this when they where installed?? it will be a while before i get to do a tank like this but if are house purchase goes threw this month it will definetly start being planned!!!

OP
OP
redtop03

redtop03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In order for me to go larger I had to find a way to lower the electric bill. My old 150 reef had three 250 MH & four 6 ft VHO bulbs & a 1/3hp chiller. The amount of heat that system made also caused our central air to run all of the time during the summer months. Going solar lighting lowered our electric bill about 40% a month. I'm now looking to add a couple solar electric panels to the roof to create electric to run the pumps.

the solar panels is an excellent idea,that along with the solar tubes,you could have your tank to where the only expense would be feeding the tank and water maintenance supplies,that would be great :D

Man she (your tank) is a beauty!

thanks rev,did you notice some of the coral I won from Aqua-World PSC in the March madness drawing last year :D ?

old boats were always referred to as she,since this is basically an inside out boat,she seems fitting LOL

i am really likeing the plywood idea and im wondering how you go about putting the overflows into it???any pictures of this when they where installed?? it will be a while before i get to do a tank like this but if are house purchase goes threw this month it will definetly start being planned!!!

here you go,I just added a box to the back side of the tank and notched the back wall so the water would flow over into the box,the screws were drilled and ran through the back wall and I used bondo to fill in the screw holes,after the fiberglass work and epoxy painting was done,I then siliconed the overflow teeth over the slots to keep snails and fish on the correct side of it :D

HPIM2958.jpg

HPIM2956.jpg

HPIM2957.jpg

HPIM3066.jpg

HPIM3128.jpg

HPIM3125.jpg

HPIM3124.jpg

HPIM3123.jpg

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great Willie.... I almost had to build a bunch of plywood fish troughs for work... But then they closed the doors so I didn't get to try my hand at a plywood tank...:sad:

OP
OP
redtop03

redtop03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great Willie.... I almost had to build a bunch of plywood fish troughs for work... But then they closed the doors so I didn't get to try my hand at a plywood tank...:sad:

hey Troy,long time no see,how you been doing dude ? with your talent,plywood would be a piece a cake man...are you still into acrylic fabrication ?

OP
OP
redtop03

redtop03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the great pictures on that overflow!! again awesome set up!

no problem,thank you...whenever you get started planning your wooden tank,give me a heads up,I want to keep an eye on your progress,might even be able to throw in my $.02 here and there :D good luck on the home purchase

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey Troy,long time no see,how you been doing dude ? with your talent,plywood would be a piece a cake man...are you still into acrylic fabrication ?
Not really...back into metal fab and custom painting..:squigglemouth: always loved my cars haha...

OP
OP
redtop03

redtop03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really...back into metal fab and custom painting..:squigglemouth: always loved my cars haha...

once you get into painting and cars,it's hard to ever get completely away from it,it kinda gets in your blood don't it ?

bummer that the acrylic place closed the doors on you though...have you ever tried to hook up with the guys from "tanked" I know you're as good as Robby Redneck :lol:

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**** dude such a nice tank!

How much did the tank cost to put together? PM me if you don't want to say publicly

OP
OP
redtop03

redtop03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**** dude such a nice tank!

How much did the tank cost to put together? PM me if you don't want to say publicly

thank you sir,about $970 in the tank all the bulkheads and a lot of the plumbing...a friend with a cabinet shop hooked me up with the glass company he uses for all his glass needs,he got me a great deal on the glass :D

OP
OP
redtop03

redtop03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any you guys ever heard of these guys ?

they make some nice looking low cost LED fixtures,they don't have all the bells and whistles but look like they may be a good light for the cash strapped crowd...

what do you guys think ?

DM-132s - Reef Radiance

8774008.jpg
635855.png

8476621.jpg
8554969.jpg

DM-132e - Reef Radiance

5005775.jpg

then they have the "design your own" system based on the DM-132s frame coming soon

Design Your Own Light - Reef Radiance

I've been looking at DIY kits for months now and wanting to go LED to reduce my power consumption and heat,even with using the least expensive DIY components,these were a better deal for me plus they use the same Bridgelux LEDs that I was looking at in the DIY kits and I'm sure they look better than anything I could throw together LOL so I ordered 2 of the DM-132s,I'll post my opinions on them once I get 'em over my tank :D

I'm sure that later I'll probable want the cool automated dimming and all that but for now,I just want to reduce my monthly power bill LOL

Last edited:

Mrfresh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so much insperaction on this build thread. I can't wait to get into my house and start building my own plywood monster aquarium!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 53 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back