Reducing 20g Cleanup Crew?

JonnyTorch

Sober
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 20 gallon nano. I had a detritus buildup/green hair algae problem and the cleanup crew wasn't doing their job at first so I slowly increased the crew members until it was gone. I had the new(ish) tank uglies and I just wasn't on board for it, I solved the problem but now I'm worried it's too clean lol, and I'm worried about long term health for the CUC. Green and brown long haired algae was covering every inch of the back wall and most of the plugs and rocks but after the crew did their job and me dipping some plugs in Peroxide mix and also Revive, and me doing manual removal, the algae is gone off the rocks and back wall almost completely except little bit on the top layer of rocks that is dark green and reduced to a film-like layer, mostly toward bottom of rockwork. The only GHA left is a bit in 2 half inch patches no bigger than the size of a nickel, and a thin layer of film algae on glass when it builds up after about a week.

The tank is very clean now except for a little detritus under some slow current spots that I use a turkey baster to clean off. Now I'm left with a giant cleanup crew. If I don't clean the glass the film algae builds up to the point where the glass needs cleaned within about a week so I know there's SOME food available for snails and urchins just not sure if it's enough. I've done research on all animals before and after I bought them, the urchins can eat a lot but they're holding plenty of rubble on their spines and look healthy. I'm mainly worried about two urchins, an emerald and the turbo being too much with the rest but those guys are mostly the hardest workers and make the biggest dent.. I am worried if I reduce them the crew size may be too weak.. I really like the tuxedo urchins and the large diversity in the CUC I have but worried about long term health.

Is this too little algae to have all of them now, and/or what should I reduce my crew to?

Order of acquisition of CUC w/ results:

One month after cycle (uglies building):

3 cerith
2 nassarrius
1 Margarita
1 bumblebee
1 emerald crab

Three weeks later:
Strawberry conch
Tuxedo urchin

Two weeks after that, GHA took hold:
I reduced Phytoplankton and feeding a bit
+ Another Tuxedo Urchin

One month after that problem NOT solved:
+2 ceriths
+1 Turbo snail

One week after that:
+1 Astraea snail

One week after that:
+1 Banded trochus snail

One week after that:
Tank is almost spotless.

Not sure which CUC member to give credit to or what to reduce it to if necessary. Or just feed a lot heavier?

Pics before during and after algae problem:
Screenshot_20210404-164748~2.png
Screenshot_20210404-164822~2.png
PXL_20210404_233523439.jpg

Last edited:

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I'd think if one of the urchins could be re-homed? Also the Conch. May starve in the long run depending on its size.
Nice that you got it cleared up in a natural way congrats.

OP
OP
JonnyTorch

JonnyTorch

Sober
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I'd think if one of the urchins could be re-homed? Also the Conch. May starve in the long run depending on its size.
Nice that you got it cleared up in a natural way congrats.
@CanuckReefer Thank you! it's a dwarf/strawberry conch, him and the ceriths I'm using to stir up the sand. The conch wont get bigger than 2"

I'm thinking also to re-home one of the urchins. I'd love others input as well. Wondering about the Emerald Crab and the Turbo also. Emerald never went for coral but he's kinda.. hanging around them now.

Zakery Murray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say for sure one of the urchins, you could get rid of the conch I am thinking that conch will eat too much of the algae and not leave enough for the little guys. You could leave the emerald crab alone its a 50/50, just watch the little guy and make sure he isnt eating p your corals.

OP
OP
JonnyTorch

JonnyTorch

Sober
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say for sure one of the urchins, you could get rid of the conch I am thinking that conch will eat too much of the algae and not leave enough for the little guys. You could leave the emerald crab alone its a 50/50, just watch the little guy and make sure he isnt eating p your corals.
I love my conch :( I'd hate to have him go! He was there since the early side of the problem, didn't see a dent really until after the Turbo (TRUE turbo) and the second urchin. I'd be so sad to get rid of my goofy conch :(

However if I start to see a pattern arise here in the responses.. I have to do what I have to do.

Zakery Murray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my conch :( I'd hate to have him go! He was there since the early side of the problem, didn't see a dent really until after the Turbo (TRUE turbo) and the second urchin. I'd be so sad to get rid of my goofy conch :(

However if I start to see a pattern arise here in the responses.. I have to do what I have to do.
You don't have to get rid of him if there is enough food for your other creatures, just see if there is enough algae for them all after awhile. What I would say is its a conch vs the lives of all your other clean up crew, if you have enough algae then don't worry about it, if you dont then because the conch eats more I would say he would be first to go.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 93 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back