Reducing nitrates

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I initially put the chaeto in it grew an insane amount and filled my entire sump I removed most of it after a year and it just doesn’t seem to grow anymore thinking the nitrates are too high now or something?
I am thinking that it might be low on some needed element. That is why I'd look at something like chaetogro

sczlars

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look on youtube for "parkers reef sulfur denitrator". This worked for me, with a bit of patience. I wish I had known about this sooner. I just couldn't do enough water changes, and I like fish.

Reef - Tripp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Donovan denitrator,

OP
OP
Saaqib_Ansari

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Counterintuitive, but, and this is just a suggestion here, don't worry about it?

Run carbon (or run more) to get SPS to grow near softies. Allellopathy is a thing.
I’ve added many sps over the years but eventually they all just die. Even hammers and torches I had several go from 1 head to 8 heads and then they all vanished once the nutrients went up

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t mess with it! Don’t worry about the numbers it’s only gonna cause you problems down the line! Get some Sps and jump right in! I had the same problem and threw some tester pieces in and they took off! Then I started carbon dosing to bring them down from 100 and all it did was cause a huge imbalance that I’ve been fighting since.. rrrrrrr lol

OP
OP
Saaqib_Ansari

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t mess with it! Don’t worry about the numbers it’s only gonna cause you problems down the line! Get some Sps and jump right in! I had the same problem and threw some tester pieces in and they took off! Then I started carbon dosing to bring them down from 100 and all it did was cause a huge imbalance that I’ve been fighting since.. rrrrrrr lol
I’ve tried sps in the past when my nitrates were 50-100 and they just wouldn’t survive theyd

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried sps in the past when my nitrates were 50-100 and they just wouldn’t survive theyd
I’d guess you got something else going on honestly.. I have yet to see any I’ll effects on Sps with elevated no3…

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give this thread a read, it’s really simple to build AND does a fantastic job of reducing N03.

edit: when I started to dose a DIY stock solution of manganese, my cheato started growing like wildfire.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 20 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%
Back