Reef Aquarium Fact #11 Most acans prefer very low lighting to retain rainbow color.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We are going to continue discussing the reef aquarium facts submitted by our members in the My Miami chalice giveaway thread. Do you agree or disagree? What are your thoughts?

Fact #11

Most acans prefer very low lighting to retain rainbow color.

Truth or False? What else might we need to learn on this subject?

18.jpg

Alpha Aquaculture

Designer Clownfish Hatchery
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think very low lighting should be defined based on the measurements of a par meter like an Apogee. I keep my acans at 100-130 par units. Most would consider that low lighting. I don't really consider that very low lighting. My acans keep their rainbow colors well but not all of them. Some acans prefer higher light and actually lose some of their amazing colors under lower light. I think every acan is different. But most rainbows do keep their rainbow colors better under lower light.

I would agree with the statement but like most things it depends :)

012-3.jpg

Cuda

Hunter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is true. My acans all look about the same now and when I got them they were the best rainbows I ever saw. I am working on lowering the light to see if I can get the colors back.
Other possibility is the time they are under light. I have my lights on all day.

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's true considering the caviat (sp?) that it's rainbow acans. I've noticed some of my solid or two colors acans look the most brilliant under high lighting. The more multi-colored, the lower light they seem to prefer. No idea why, but weird.

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say partly true. Some prefer lower light, like the rainbows, but others medium to high light. I think they are like any of the other corals we keep in our tanks in that you find them at different depths in the ocean. Some get high light, in the wild, some lower light.

Another thing to consider is we bombard them with different spectrums of light to make the colors pop the way we like. This changes the zooxanthellae and how it reacts to that light.

ReefDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when i had my 55g, i found that my rainbows did alot better in the sandbed, and not in the direct light. I kept most of my rainbows under a ledge which provided them with some type of shade and they did great. i tried keeping some of the non rainbows in the same area and did notice that a few of them didnt like it there, but all i did was move them into the direct light but still kept them in the sandbed. i had a 55g with 2 koralia #2, and a tek 6 bulb fixture with 2 10k, 2 super atinics and 2 fiji purples. i hope this helps. :)

Bio-nut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a shot in the dark, but I tink that the higher the light the more that one photosynthitic pigment take over. In most cases it is red or grey become the prodominate color. If you think about it Acans are collected at deeper depths in some what merky water, therefore the are getting more blue pigments and less intense. I ran my acan tank with one 24watt blue plus bulb for a year and all of my rainbows held their color. Beware of place acans in to low of light it can reslut in a loss of pigment all together.

dan10342

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, rainbow acans do best under the following:

1) proper water parameters. no matter what lighting you have, if the water isn't good for acans to thrive, they just simply wont look good.

2) proper spectrum. Although they predominantly receive blue light where they are collected, having a decent bulb (around 11k) will help them hold nice vivid reds and oranges, while still maintaining decent greens blues and purples. the other colors such as pink, white, yellow, etc are seem to act as inbetween colors where two totally contrasting colors would meet.

3) subdued light is also key. you dont want to be blasting the acans. my t5s are about 30 inches from the acans, and about 12 inches from the surface of the water.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if you have stronger light but a short light period?

One person mentioned they have their lights on all day.

My Lights are on 6 Hours a Day.

I have 4 T5 HO Bulbs on a 12" Tall Frag Tank.

The Light is a couple inches above the Tank (On Legs).

The Acans are about 1 Inch off the Bottom on Egg Crate.

They look awesome now.

Do you think that this will be an issue long term?

Is this considered Low, Medium, or High Light?

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say true however low light to me is anything from 100-120par imo. Can they survive in less light yes but I do not think they are thriving and I would believe a coral would look best when thriving.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say true however low light to me is anything from 100-120par imo. Can they survive in less light yes but I do not think they are thriving and I would believe a coral would look best when thriving.

Have any idea what my PAR Might be?

I have no Clue.

48 Long X 18 Deep X 12 High.

Four T5 HO Bulbs (54 Watts each for a Total of 216 Watts).

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have any idea what my PAR Might be?

I have no Clue.

48 Long X 18 Deep X 12 High.

Four T5 HO Bulbs (54 Watts each for a Total of 216 Watts).
No idea with t5. Sorry. I rented my lfs par meter and set my sand bed to 95, middle of tank to 125 and highest point to 150. I have equal pars from left to right and front to back.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found lower light level helps them keep their color the best. Birght light tends to just make them red, orange, green or purple

Jonathan Dignon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best looking acans I have seen have always been under a verry attinic lighting. In my opinion with lps the intensity is usally not as important as the spectrum.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best looking acans I have seen have always been under a verry attinic lighting. In my opinion with lps the intensity is usally not as important as the spectrum.

I am using Four ATI Blue Plus Bulbs (No White at All).

Back