Reef Aquarium Fact #264 Sometimes when maintaining a reef aquarium it's better to go with the K.I.S.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We are going to continue discussing the reef aquarium facts submitted by our members. Do you agree or disagree? What are your thoughts?

Fact #264

Sometimes when maintaining a reef aquarium it's better to go with the K.I.S.S method! (keep it simple stupid) :D

Truth or False? What else might we need to learn on this subject? Please also share any pictures that may pertain to the subject.

reef-2-29-12-1024x622-1.jpg

Socoreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely agree with k.i.s.s , in the beginning we used to worry bout this and that, along with getting all the (essentials) we were told we needed and all the other crap that has since been discarded and now just chill and everything is bigger and better than before (and cheaper) so now it's just a dt/sump/skimmer and all the inmates, skim for a week on and week off etc, no reactors n such, change bags of carbon 1x/mo and wc's 2x/mo ( bout 10%) (if I remember) lol
It's just simplicity now and actually can relax

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have found many unsuccessful reefers try to do too much.

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely agree with keeping it simple. A reef tank is very easy to maintain with a couple vital pieces of equipment such as quality lighting, quality skimmer, good flow and knowledge of what it take to keep a healthy reef. All of the high tech equipment is great but when that expensive equipment fails its always a disaster.

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the k.i.s.s. stand for keep it super simple? Just curious, never heard of this method (but then again, not a reefer).

danapadilla1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Aquarium Fact #264 Sometimes when maintaining a reef aquarium it's bette...

Does the k.i.s.s. stand for keep it super simple? Just curious, never heard of this method (but then again, not a reefer).

KISS Keep It Simple Stupid

Last edited by a moderator:

UCReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like im gonna hav to be the devils advocate on this one... I guess the kiss mentality could work for certain low bio-load low maintenance tanks but for the majority of us who like to maximize the beauty of our aquarium while keeping it a safe and constant environment i think keeping it simple is a cop out. We might as well start saying "if it aint broke dont fix it" another equally ignorant mentality(dont get me started ha)

I can understand kiss would be good for a novice reefer trying to get a tank going but for seasoned reefers trying to get the most out of the hobby this just doesnt seem possible. I am concerned that no one has even mentioned quarantine tanks on this thread, or is that under the purview "simple". also saying things like "Good water, good light, filtration, and good flow is all there is." frustrates me greatly. Good water? what does that even mean. to me good water is only proven to be good after a myriad of tests, also yet to be mentioned on the thread. Then we have to all so general "filtration", ha is this implying just a skimmer? In my opinion the sump should take care of skimming, as well as nitrate and phosphate reduction. Without a function of reducing nitrates and phosphates the tank is heading towards a fallout, even with regular water changes. especially when u have a substrate bottom such as sand or aragonite that builds up detritus. Though i hav seen tanks survive on only a skimmer for filtration they seem to be light bio-load lightly fed non-sps tanks..

Rev i hav much respect for you and this site but i hav to ask, in what way do reefers fail by "doing to much". I can see if you mean throwing money at equipment while not wanting to upkeep said equipment. I think a big problem with unsuccessful reefers is they think they can buy the newest and most expensive biopellet reactor or whatnot and in turn not hav to do as many wcs and such. but beyond that I cant see how doing extra water changes, cleaning the skimmer, changing bulbs, cleaning glass or changing filter socks could negatively impact the health of the reef.

In closing i just want to mention that this is all IMHO and i guess i sort of just felt like ranting ha.

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the k.i.s.s. method works but not for everyone. It does work for me, led lighting, 30% water change every 3-4 days and no skimmer. It is only a 29 gallon tank though.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 105 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back