Reef Aquarium Stocking

jacrispy516

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does this stocking order look and what would you change?

I put together a list of the best order to add fish to a reef tank based on aggression levels and how established of a tank they would require for dietary reasons (ie pods). This is just a guideline I'm working on, obviously wouldn't add all unless it was a tank in the hundreds of gallons range.

1. Dartfish
  2. Cardinalfish
  3. Possum Wrasse
  4. Goby and Jawfish
  5. Blenny
  6. Basslet
  7. Chromis
  8. Clownfish (Add all at once if tank is large enough for multiple species)
  9. Dragonet and Pod Eating Gobies (Pods required)
  10. Moorish Idol (Reef Caution, Expert Care, Add before all aggressive fish in established reef)
  11. Rabbitfish (Reef Caution, Most Foxface's are fine)
  12. Butterflyfish (Reef Caution for a few exceptions such as Pyramid, Copperband, Longnose)
  13. Hawkfish (Reef Caution)
  14. Anthias
  15. Flasher and Fairy Wrasse
  16. Leopard Wrasse (Pods required)
  17. Tamarin Wrasse (Reef Caution) (Pods required)
  18. Halichoeres Wrasse (Reef Caution)
  19. Hogfish (Reef Caution)
  20. Large Wrasse and Tusk (Reef Caution)
  21. Xanthichthys Triggers (Reef Caution)
  22. Genicanthus Angelfish (Reef Caution)
  23. Dwarf Angelfish (Reef Caution)
  24. Large Angelfish (Reef Caution for a few exceptions that can be kept with SPS) (Add at all Once)
  25. Surgeonfish (Add all at once)
  26. Cleaner Wrasse (Add after all large fish in established reef)
  27. Dottyback
  28. Damselfish
  29. Six Line Wrasse

Best order to add tangs if not at once.

1. Bristletooth
  2. Unicorn
  3. Hepatus
  4. Zebrasoma
  5. Acanthurus
Note: Add all Wrasse at once if possible with some exceptions like the six line wrasse which should be the last fish added to any tank. I would add fairy wrasse and flasher wrasse much earlier if no other wrasse species will be added if not wait until your tank is established enough to add them with the more difficult wrasses.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jacrispy516

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank is this!?
This isn't for a specific tank. Just a loose guide I'm trying to make for reef fish stocking. Kinda like a template that people could build off of to help with their stocking. What do you think though, what changes would you make?

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jacrispy516

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit. Large and aggressive clownfish like Maroon, Tomato, or Clarkii should be added with damsels and should be the only clownfish species.

kingoftheHiLLpeople

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn't for a specific tank. Just a loose guide I'm trying to make for reef fish stocking. Kinda like a template that people could build off of to help with their stocking. What do you think though, what changes would you make?
Loosely yea i suppose. So many pieces to that puzzle

OP
OP
J

jacrispy516

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is so variable you know?
Yea for sure. Especially since every fish is different. I remember adding a yellow tail damsel years ago to my very first reef and was the most peaceful fish in there lol. Trying to make a list that would end up being the safest possible template to start with that can be changed around depending on the specific species of fish per group. Toughest is with wrasse since there are so many with varying levels of aggression per species. The list is not meant for all those fish to be kept in one tank though. Meant to be edited around based on what size tank is being planned. I thought about posting a list of what I would stock in aquariums based on aquarium size. Which would probably be a much better template than this one.

kingoftheHiLLpeople

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea for sure. Especially since every fish is different. I remember adding a yellow tail damsel years ago to my very first reef and was the most peaceful fish in there lol. Trying to make a list that would end up being the safest possible template to start with that can be changed around depending on the specific species of fish per group. Toughest is with wrasse since there are so many with varying levels of aggression per species. The list is not meant for all those fish to be kept in one tank though. Meant to be edited around based on what size tank is being planned. I thought about posting a list of what I would stock in aquariums based on aquarium size. Which would probably be a much better template than this one.
I see what you are doing. And i think it is a good effort.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 59 29.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 71 35.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.3%
Back