Reef breeder MAX lighting

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I have a reef breeders photon 48 over my 90g SPS dominate tank. What's the max lighting everyone would go with? I have it maxing at 60 white and I believe 45 blue. Zoas look like they need more light believe it or not.

socal619

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont have reef breeders, but i run my maxspect at 60% white max, 100%blue its on a schedule so the white only runs at 60 for 4 hours. whatever you do slowly raise you %, you have to acclimate your corals

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont have reef breeders, but i run my maxspect at 60% white max, 100%blue its on a schedule so the white only runs at 60 for 4 hours. whatever you do slowly raise you %, you have to acclimate your corals

Thanks, yeah I have been slowly raising it up for a few weeks now just wasn't sure where to stop Lol

Trumptitan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high above the tank are the light s that makes a difference as well as the optics on the light fixture as well. I run a value fixture on my 45 cube and prior to that my 28 bow and was getting mid to high 100s in par on the sand bed with mid tank hitting around 400. That s with the light being 9" off the top of water and a brace disrupting some of the light. I can post a par break down for you if you like that I got on my bow. Your tank I believe is only 24 inchs talls whereas mine was 20 so you can work the math out from there as to what the light does as you get deeper.

Esage

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I have a reef breeders photon 48 over my 90g SPS dominate tank. What's the max lighting everyone would go with? I have it maxing at 60 white and I believe 45 blue. Zoas look like they need more light believe it or not.

I think you need to reverse your Blues and whites. Blues 60% and white 45%

socal619

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you need to reverse your Blues and whites. Blues 60% and white 45%

i dont think so, if hes already at 60 white he should just raise the blue. SPS needs a lot of light. it more depends on how your corals are reacting, if there happy raise it up a little see if you notice a change. id only do increases of 5% a week

socal619

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i run my tank mostly blue cause i keep softies mostly, it helps with color and i like the looks

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high above the tank are the light s that makes a difference as well as the optics on the light fixture as well. I run a value fixture on my 45 cube and prior to that my 28 bow and was getting mid to high 100s in par on the sand bed with mid tank hitting around 400. That s with the light being 9" off the top of water and a brace disrupting some of the light. I can post a par break down for you if you like that I got on my bow. Your tank I believe is only 24 inchs talls whereas mine was 20 so you can work the math out from there as to what the light does as you get deeper.

Hey, the light is about 8-9in above water with 90° optics. And yeah the tank is 48x24x18.

Esage

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, the light is about 8-9in above water with 90° optics. And yeah the tank is 48x24x18.

My tank is 48x24x12 and I have it hung 13" inches above the tank. My blues max out at 40% and my whites max out at 15% and my light is the 32" inch model.

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 48x24x12 and I have it hung 13" inches above the tank. My blues max out at 40% and my whites max out at 15% and my light is the 32" inch model.

That seems awfully low percentages Lol what r u stocking the tank with?

Esage

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems awfully low percentages Lol what r u stocking the tank with?

The fixture has 90 degree optics. It's stocked with LPS and several Rock nems. When I bumped the blues up to 50% and the whites to 20% my hammer coral and torch coral both closed up and my large rock nem moved to the bottom of the tank. I lowered the percentages to what they are currently and everything looks great, so I plan on keeping them there. I may try increasing the blues again in couple of months, but these lights are very powerful.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Ever think maybe you upped the % too fast? Bc I have my lights at like 60/45 and my frogspawn is about 6 inches from.the top of the water and its doing great

GHill762

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree about it being very powerful. I recently upgraded to a 40b and I run my blues max at 35% and whites max at 30%, I had to move several sps corals down that were bleaching. these corals all came from my 15g which had an LED fixture over it running at 100% with nearly identical diodes/spectrum. I'm trying to ramp up a bit though, I switched it two nights ago to max out blue at 40%..

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree about it being very powerful. I recently upgraded to a 40b and I run my blues max at 35% and whites max at 30%, I had to move several sps corals down that were bleaching. these corals all came from my 15g which had an LED fixture over it running at 100% with nearly identical diodes/spectrum. I'm trying to ramp up a bit though, I switched it two nights ago to max out blue at 40%..

Well going from a 15g to a 40g is a huge difference. Its a possibility that you ramped up the % too fast in the 40 to cause bleaching. Bc I have SPS up high in my tank and its doing just fine. But everyone's tank is obviously different and there's also other factors into bleaching so who knows

GHill762

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well going from a 15g to a 40g is a huge difference. Its a possibility that you ramped up the % too fast in the 40 to cause bleaching. Bc I have SPS up high in my tank and its doing just fine. But everyone's tank is obviously different and there's also other factors into bleaching so who knows

it was definitely light, I moved them to the corner of the tank and they're getting color back very fast. I only started with the max around 55 on both channels. but the water may be clearer too (more par reaching coral), considering I'm running filter socks now and wasn't before. my LEDs before were 21 LEDs over a 15g running at 100% both channels.. and like I said the diodes were basically the same mix of colors.

DjGhostRider

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I'm reading this all correctly, % really doesn't matter as it primarily depends on height above the tank, tank depth and coral placement, correct? If that's true, then as long as the coral are in the correct place and the light they receive is within the PAR range, the coral should be ok, right?

I ask because I've been having problems with my coral bleaching as well. I just started using LED's with this set up and I'm having the hardest time with it. At first I had the LED's way too high so I corrected that by dropping to 30% and ramping up every week or two until I got to about 60% with no change in growth. Things were much easier with MH and PC but I want to stick with this....any suggestions?

DjGhostRider

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I'm reading this all correctly, % really doesn't matter as it primarily depends on height above the tank, tank depth and coral placement, correct? If that's true, then as long as the coral are in the correct place and the light they receive is within the PAR range, the coral should be ok, right?

I ask because I've been having problems with my coral bleaching as well. I just started using LED's with this set up and I'm having the hardest time with it. At first I had the LED's way too high so I corrected that by dropping to 30% and ramping up every week or two until I got to about 60% with no change in growth. Things were much easier with MH and PC but I want to stick with this....any suggestions?

bump

Back