Reef breeder photon v2

Cedwards2854

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have radion xr30 gen 2 and currently looking at switching to the reefbreeder photon v2 any suggestions? PFA
eeb94a4f2d1e384747097f11143ea19b.jpg

Buck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have photons on DT and a gen 1 radion on coral qt. The coral always seem happier under the radion. Not necessarily bad under photon but seem fuller under radion.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better is in the eye of the beholder and you will get strong opinions on which one people think is "better." Most of these folks will not have the Gen 2, though. It will be different... more disco, better coverage. With your euhpilya, calusertera and softies that I see in the photo, either should be able to competently handle those corals.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea which one is "better". I have a Photon V2 48 on a 75 gallon and it is doing everything I want. I am not looking to upgrade to anything else.

Herby’s reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 gen 4 radions on my tank and a sb reef light on my frag tank. Not sure if the sb reef light is similar to the photon, but it does not compair to the radions. They are so much better IMHO. In all honesty if I had it to do over I would go t5 over my tank. You can buy a lot of bulbs for the price of the led and the t5 will give you better coverage from what I am told.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have never had Radions but I had a cheap LED flashlight once.

The Photon is way better IMHO.

LOL

These should give you some idea of what the fixture looks like. Please excuse my crappy pics.
IMG_7004-L.jpg

IMG_0342%5B1%5D-L.jpg

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I want a better light and I can’t afford the g4 pro right now
Ah, I always thought the radions were good. I've heard good things about the g3. I used the 48" photonv2 for about 6 months and switched to T5's. I like the simplicity of set it and forget it, no messing with stuff. I'll be posting my V2 for sale, if you're interested just PM me, no idea what shipping would cost though...

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would still use the Radions. Your tank is pretty wide and deep and will need the coverage. You will also keep the shimmer from the Radions. There is nothing wrong the older Gen 2 lights they grew most corals very well. I think the biggest problem was not the lights but people messing with the settings too much and/or not knowing enough about led lighting and how it differs from what a MH 14-20K emits, which was what most people used then to light their reefs. In the early days of led the people I saw that had the most success where those that where skilled at using T5. It seems the spectrum blending, par and intensity carried over fairly well from the T5s to led, to an extent. There was great success with home DIY led lights using Cree and Epistar chips. It was a fun time when I look back on it and how led has grown into the mainstream light source for reef tanks, from something home made or factory made (Gen1 Radion, AI LED Module aka Gen1, PFO Solara) that almost know one believed would keep coral alive and feared investing on unproven tech.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the OP: Don't know the size of your tank, but if Radions running in a line will work (vs perpendicular to the length of the tank) then the Photon V2 should work just a s well and cost less.

I have 4 gen 4 radions on my tank and a sb reef light on my frag tank. Not sure if the sb reef light is similar to the photon, but it does not compair to the radions. They are so much better IMHO. In all honesty if I had it to do over I would go t5 over my tank. You can buy a lot of bulbs for the price of the led and the t5 will give you better coverage from what I am told.

A) The Photon is nothing like a SBReef fixture. Better leds, better case, better support.
B) t5 and leds have many other differences beside a minor coverage issue. I switched a long time ago and would never go back unless t5 or MH make a huge jump forward in control of color and intensity.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had two radion G3 (not pro) over my old system. I tried out a photon v2 for fun and instantly sold the G3, to my eyes the photon was a drastic improvement. For whatever reason the g3's had terrible color separation on the tall rock which I hate, and the v2 had better coverage.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have had 3 different variation of lighting including gen 1 and gen 3 radions and I kept hearing about Photon and SB Reef light success.
It seemed the radions were moody ( up and down. . . Bright then dim) on their own. Got tired of burning my SPS and switched to Both SB Reef and Photon on my Large cube and cant say enough on how soft yet radiant the lighting is and the growth and color of corals.

360n.png

Samuel Diaz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the OP: Don't know the size of your tank, but if Radions running in a line will work (vs perpendicular to the length of the tank) then the Photon V2 should work just a s well and cost less.

A) The Photon is nothing like a SBReef fixture. Better leds, better case, better support.
B) t5 and leds have many other differences beside a minor coverage issue. I switched a long time ago and would never go back unless t5 or MH make a huge jump forward in control of color and intensity.

I’m confuse with your comment you prefer sb reef lights or reef breeders ?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’m confuse with your comment you prefer sb reef lights or reef breeders ?
Person is indicating, they feel the photons are better than SB reef and Reef breeders lighting

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be clear, I think if you are looking for an led fixture that has more than 2 channels of color control (the Photon V2 has 6), sunrise/sunset control, and a thin, cool, modern looking fixture, the Photon V2+ is by far the best value available. It also has quality leds (Cree and others) and it comes with both a hanging kit and legs.

The SBReef is a good fixture, but it is still the old school black box look that is rapidly starting to look very dated. Even the Radion looks old next to a Photon fixture and it costs way more!

Now if you are looking for something less expensive and don't care about 6 channels of color control, or the black box look will be hidden in a canopy, then there are several good fixtures that are less expensive.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 103 86.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back