Reef Chemistry Puzzle #8

  • Thread starter Thread starter Miami Reef
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Miami Reef

Reef Chem Enthusiast
View Badges
Joined
Sep 8, 2017
Messages
17,251
Reaction score
29,661
Location
Miami
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI! I asked Randy if I can do today’s Reef Chemistry Puzzle. He generously said yes!

Reef Chemistry Puzzle #8

Two clues today...

1. Loads of things want to consume me in a reef tank.

2. I’m pretty shy. Not even a TDS meter can detect me…but it can if you put me in freshwater at a pH of 7.

What am I?

Good luck! ;)

Previous Reef Chemistry Puzzle:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/reef-chemistry-puzzle-7.1021725/
 
Amino acids?
 
TDS meter works on principle of measuring conductivity, so it cannot be any "mineral".
I suspect it's something in gas or liquid form.
Ammonia in typical Reef Tank is mostly in liquid form, but in neutral pH it would be ionized ammonium kation and it would be detected by TDS meter.
Bacteria and corals consume ammonia, so this is my guess.
 
1701645943808.png


It might be NH3/NH4+, but even at pH 8.3 both exist. So a TDS meter would be able to detect it.

In fact, only once you get past pH 9.3 does it favor NH3.
 
Last edited:
^^^I agree with your reasoning, but big part of my professional life is answering various test questions and the closest answer is the right one, so I still opt for Ammonia.
 
It might be NH3/NH4+, but even at pH 8.3 both exist. So a TDS meter would be able to detect it.

In fact, only once you get past pH 9.3 does it favor NH3.

I hope Miami doesn’t mind me giving a hint on his puzzle, but here goes…he did not say it was undetectable by tds in a reef tank. :)
 
Last edited:
I hope Miami doesn’t mind me giving a hint on his puzzle, but here goes…he did not say it was undetectable by tds in a reef tank. :)
Thank you, Randy. I don’t mind at all. :)
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new