Reef Cleaners Experiences

cyclone21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are great to deal with. My last order was lost in the mail. I emailed John today. He replied within 1.5hrs saying he will refund my money today.

Labora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had similar issues with reefcleaners. Everything showed up late and dead. He tried to ignore/fight me on it instead of refund (I didn't even want a full refund, just half! tried to negotiate) so instead I submitted a dispute with relevant information and bank sided with me and gave me FULL refund. Karma. Now he has to be nice and refund or he will get banned from banks from too many disputes. If he doesn't provide you with the refund, make sure you file the dispute. I set the precedent.

Things were just packaged in a zip lock bag rolling around a giant box. So aside from USPS being slow, packaging was horrible and he was difficult to work with. But glad I got my full refund.

The fact that he is still using USPS after all of these months of late packages and dead animals speaks volumes. Yea you can't really blame USPS if he is knowingly still using them. He does not learn from mistakes. Glad I never have to deal with him again.

driftin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's interesting, I have been ordering from them for many years (not often but on average once a year probably). Most recently received a shipment last week. Everything double bagged (no ziplocks), two heater packs in an insulated container, and only one individual loss of the whole package of dozens of snails, hermits, specialty crabs, shrimp. In the past I've definitely had higher rates of loss, but never 100% of a shipment and packaging has always been consistent with this shipment. Interesting to read that people have had such variances.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, I've had several orders and never had any ziplocs. Proper critter-shipping bags, then all of those bags placed in one larger bag, and that in an insulated box. There was a heat pack when I ordered during a cold time of the year.

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually been great using reef cleaners. I’ve posted the site many times to people as a goto sote

Last edited:

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This comes as no surprise to me. Nightmare company. I won't be ordering from them again either :)
He’s been emailing me. Really prompt with communication. I think the pithos sold out and that’s why I got refunded. Makes sense but man I wanted some of those.

MasonK24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a great experience with them. I also had good/fast response customer service experience as well which makes a good company stand out. As long as the weather is nice everything will survive. 3 day shipping to Pennsylvania and everything survived no problem for me. Prices are fantastic as well.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I dont remember if I posted or not - Have never had problems - per se - BUT - without them I have seen no difference in my tank

jolthoff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My review I left on Google: Beyond excellent customer service. Contacted me concerned about compatibility of some of my items, I agreed and cancelled those items and was *immediately* refunded the amount of those items. Everything shipped well and was as good as you can get, so I can't comment on how well they deal with losses, but I imagine it is very reasonable. Prices are also excellent. We also had some correspondence about things quite tangential to the order, and John was very insightful and shared some valuable information that he didn't have to. This was my first time ordering from Reef Cleaners, but it definitely won't be my last.

ChrisRD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered from them recently. Excellent packaging and everything arrived healthy. I would definitely order from them again. I paid for the UPS overnight shipping. I don't trust USPS with livestock.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had an issue with getting DOA's refunded over years of ordering. My last order, a month or so ago, was lost by USPS for a week. A handful of things actually survived and the rest was promptly refunded. I don't understand why some people have had trouble with refunds but we are only hearing half the story here. John has never been anything but friendly and responsive to me.

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered in colder months a few months back(Michigan weather), due to shipping delays everything came in dead. I wrote an email to the team at reef cleaners and they replaced everything with basically no questions asked. Only one experience so far but based off that initial experience I will use them again.

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
its a hit and miss. buyer beware, there are pyramid snails that will eat your snails coming in with the shipment. need to quarantine.

Mnarlis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they do. The big value add imo. They explicitly state it on their website.
Reef Cleaners has been the worst experience for me. I live in VA, and they sent from Florida, and the two-day express turned into a 6-day order. I could not get a refund until it showed up. Then he had me take pictures; then he said to take them out and count what is alive and dead, then he said anything wrapped in paper towels should be fine. Out of 10 bags, most were all black, and the rest were dark brown, yet he still wanted a count. Not only did I send pictures of this but a bucket with a few hermits that made it and about 4 snails yet he said that was not good enough and that I would have to tell him what were the kind of dead ones and what were the live ones. What a rip off.

Attachments

• IMG_1204.pdf
    964.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1205.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1207.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1209.pdf
    380 KB · Views: 26

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waiting until a late order actually arrives and assessing the death, not just assuming it's a total loss is a completely fair request. As recounted above, I had an order come 7 days late last year and still had some survivors.

I actually just received a new order last week, but there was a mixup and a previous order was filled by mistake. I emailed John to let him know and I got a reply that evening with an apology and a promise to send the correct order out today, no questions asked. My shipping confirmation arrived a couple hours ago.

Reefcleaners has been and remains the absolute best place to purchase CUC in bulk online. I'm still very confused by some of the poor experiences relayed in this thread and assume there is more to those stories than is being shared.

LightingBug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am back into the hobby after 15 +/- years and I have placed (2) orders with RC/John. The first was a few weeks ago, the second will ship today. The first order was perfect, no losses to speak of (maybe lost a snail or two, but I haven't noticed.

The service was ecellent both times, personla emails from John acknowledging my purchase(s) and sending an ESD.

Just my experience, I will continue to buy from RC.

reef rambo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just placed an order for a 90 gallon clean up crew snails/hermits.. Needed to replenish after the population slowly dwindled.. Ships Monday, should arrive Wednesday ... Anyone have good\bad experiences with reef cleaners ??
I got order today n was bizzare packaging…u will b surprised by there small size..will never order

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got order today n was bizzare packaging…u will b surprised by there small size..will never order
Can you please explain "bizzare packaging" as well as what "small size" is in reference to?
Snails ship wet and not in bags of water like fish and coral. And if you got dwarf ceriths snails I know what you mean by small but that's what they are dwarf.
I'm just speculating on what your comments mean so please clarify.
I've bought from reef cleaners several times and have not been disappointed. Well except for the dwarf ceriths and thats on me, and I just won't buy more.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back