Reef Hacks

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there's alot of DIY in this hobby, but what are your favorite Reef Hacks? That's taking a piece of gear and modding it, adapting it, etc..

Here's a couple to start the conversation.

Did you know that the rough surface on most algae/glass scrapers is nothing more than velcro? Any big box hardware stores sells velcro in bulk rolls. One roll would probably last you a lifetime.

And if you have an ATO and need an anti-syphon valve, just take a small murlok fitting and drill an 1/8" hole into the side of it. Place it at the highest point in your ATO reservoir after your ATO pump. (This is what is included in Neptune Apex ATK)

hammerhead-float-plus.jpg

Murlok.jpg

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any pictures at the moment, but I've put a bunch of left over reflective cardboard in my canopy to reflect light spill back into the tank. the reflective cardboard was part of the packing material on some refrigerated stuff i've ordered. Seems to do a great job at hitting shadowed spots with a little extra light, and also keeps 95% of the light from spilling into the room. Basically free light.

OP
OP
Mical

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I'ld add another today. I'm sure it's been done before but... a DIY Frag rack.

I'm building a small frag tank for my own personal grow out stuff and using a bunch of left over gear. I took a length of egg crate heated it with a heat gun and folded sides down and there you have it

frag rack.JPG

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on what you tighten it with... If you say a Nut Cracker... I would be impressed...
Okay. Nutcracker it is!
I really am impressed with these innovations. Wish I was that innovative.
Keep them coming.

CasaReefer

Promoted To Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. Nutcracker it is!
I really am impressed with these innovations. Wish I was that innovative.
Keep them coming.
You probably have already invented like a 100things... But it just an everyday fix's for a guy like you. You see a problem and you just fix it. All along thinking... Well this is just common sense. This is where I point out that most of us don't have that...lol

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably have already invented like a 100things... But it just an everyday fix's for a guy like you. You see a problem and you just fix it. All along thinking... Well this is just common sense. This is where I point out that most of us don't have that...lol

No really. When anything non-reef related breaks down, I call a professional. And I usually screw that up a couple of times before I get it right.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back