Reef News Network and ReefWeeds present: The Super Mega Awesome Shrimp Bowl Build.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Are you going to enter the contest?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Good_vibes_reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after unsuccessfully searching the local salvation army’s, thrift stores and tag sales I ended up finding a bowl that should give me the surface area to do what I’d like for the build. Then a week later picking up crickets for my daughters bearded dragon I found a 2 gallon hexagon acrylic 4 color LED 2 gallon tank for $5... no way I couldn’t buy it now is it one or the other or both [emoji23]
a950422b4f1986f38c8a6edb33f140c3.jpg

Some of the natural locally collected deco that will go in as well as the sand
31eb892abaf276ef2dbdc8450df52ce7.jpg

My plan was to use the bowl as a centerpiece on our dining room table to compliment my wife’s new planted tank
e5f485c1e42d1dc7904470ca622ffb55.jpg
3c39b9be5dae3eacc53abb9ea8c4dd42.jpg

Good_vibes_reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am here. Got my stuff today, my decor seems to be working, will be getting more elaborate in the coming weeks... I am suffering from empty nest since I am a stay at home mom and my oldest just started preschool... His sister and I dont know what to do with ourselves...

Welcome to the contest and R2R! I’m sure they will love to see the setup when they come home from school!

Good_vibes_reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. I don’t think I’ll stray from my original idea but really wanted something more shallow with more footprint. This bowl will do though. Pretty sure I’ll just go for it and setup the hex too just for fun. Really didn’t expect to end up with 2 tanks outta this [emoji23]

Collinslice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And you can put other critters in since it won't be part of the contest. I think the bowl will produce a cooler more vertical scape that will stand out as well
Agreed. I don’t think I’ll stray from my original idea but really wanted something more shallow with more footprint. This bowl will do though. Pretty sure I’ll just go for it and setup the hex too just for fun. Really didn’t expect to end up with 2 tanks outta this [emoji23]

Good_vibes_reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And you can put other critters in since it won't be part of the contest. I think the bowl will produce a cooler more vertical scape that will stand out as well

Yeah it would probably end up the exact opposite spectrum of setup than the bowl. I’d end up with a more traditional tank style I’m sure and with some fun lighting options too. Maybe after it’s looking solid I’ll pass it on to an interested friend.

JerSaint

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds like a great contest, but really having a hard time finding any glass tanks without filtration that are under 2 gallons. I like the rimless square look, but unable to find any.
I found a great deal on a tiny Mr. Aqua, keep an eye out for Betta tanks or other awesome vessels.

lkoechle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so on the 19th, do we just go ahead abd fill her up or will there be some type of sticky note message or something we'll have to do to prove the tank is dry on the 19th?

Good_vibes_reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so on the 19th, do we just go ahead abd fill her up or will there be some type of sticky note message or something we'll have to do to prove the tank is dry on the 19th?

My understanding is you have to post a picture with the setup dry on that date to prove no prior getting wet or cycling. After that’s posted it’s time to filler up!

mjforbes33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I saw this sooner. Would have been a great distraction while i wait for my tank to cycle longer.

I look forward to following along with everyones build!

JerSaint

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I saw this sooner. Would have been a great distraction while i wait for my tank to cycle longer.

Contest hasn’t started yet, join in the prizes are just ridiculous and the time to enter is extended until the 26th. You may be a bit behind some of the other plans but no one has a wet tank yet! Go for it:)

Adele

I don't sing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It’s not too late for you. Grab any 2 gal or less container and put something together. Doesn’t have to be fancy and your LFS will have anything you need. :)

AnemoneBay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A disclaimer to all: I already filled my 2 gallon tank up litterly a week ago and got my shrimp and moss ball in from the website required with the shrimp. So I got perm from reefweeds via Instagram as I already filled my tank up 1 week ago but, I emptied 1 gallon out form the tank and took all livestock out except the moss ball and have not touched the tank until the 19th. Good luck to all!

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A disclaimer to all: I already filled my 2 gallon tank up litterly a week ago and got my shrimp and moss ball in from the website required with the shrimp. So I got perm from reefweeds via Instagram as I already filled my tank up 1 week ago but, I emptied 1 gallon out form the tank and took all livestock out except the moss ball and have not touched the tank until the 19th. Good luck to all!
Oh you sneaky snake! ;Wacky

This isn't a coral grow out contest, so I don't think a bit of time here or there is really going to help anyone. Just my $0.02

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back