Reef octopus pump replacement

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was trying to put my hob bh90 on my 20 cube but turns out something is wrong with the skimmer. The impeller shaft is broken, however the pump is making a sound (hopefully still working). I tried crafting a shaft but did not go very well either.

Any idea what is going on? I can order a replacement impeller with the shaft, but my fear is there could be something wrong with the pump. How can I tell if the pump is broken and not just the impeller?

Thoughts appreciated
Than kg s

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The body of the pump is just a wire winding. Mostly they short out our become open (no circuit through the winding).

I would buy the impellor and try it. If it works good. If not buy the pump and you will have a spare impellor.

OP
OP
Lovefish77

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So u the pump is fine? Ok I can buy the impeller and see. They dont make that pump anymore I think, I saw a newer version on Amazom for Aquatrance 1000s.
thanks

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was trying to put my hob bh90 on my 20 cube but turns out something is wrong with the skimmer. The impeller shaft is broken, however the pump is making a sound (hopefully still working). I tried crafting a shaft but did not go very well either.

Any idea what is going on? I can order a replacement impeller with the shaft, but my fear is there could be something wrong with the pump. How can I tell if the pump is broken and not just the impeller?

Thoughts appreciated
Than kg s
How old is the pump?

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be time to replace pump, especially if high usage.

Know you would like to still use old pump but May have reached end of useful life. Plus cost of new pump to impeller might make help persuade decision.

OP
OP
Lovefish77

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be time to replace pump, especially if high usage.

Know you would like to still use old pump but May have reached end of useful life. Plus cost of new pump to impeller might make help persuade decision.
But afraid the new pump will not fit the plumbing perfectly. Plus is my pump is still breathing why replace it you know

OP
OP
Lovefish77

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question, anyone ever tried the bh90 hob skimmer without those plastic cups (at the bottom of the intake assembly)?
Coralvue just said it will not work but just wanted to double check

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back