reef octopus varios 4 flow

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah - You have the same tank I had (have.) I ran a herbie for several years, then when I had to move the tank I cut out the corner flow, drilled the back and put in a coast to coast with a bean animal system. Basically, your options are having an open standpipe, a Durso or running a Herbie with an external return.

From your description, I think the pump is overwhelming the capacity of the Durso and causing it to intermittently siphon, making the level oscillate. If you’re happy with the flow you have now you can just leave it. If you want more flow, I’d covert it to a Herbie.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah - You have the same tank I had (have.) I ran a herbie for several years, then when I had to move the tank I cut out the corner flow, drilled the back and put in a coast to coast with a bean animal system. Basically, your options are having an open standpipe, a Durso or running a Herbie with an external return.

From your description, I think the pump is overwhelming the capacity of the Durso and causing it to intermittently siphon, making the level oscillate. If you’re happy with the flow you have now you can just leave it. If you want more flow, I’d covert it to a Herbie.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks! I agree. Herbie is not out of the questions. Ill run the Durso with the low flow until I see problems. One issue I see is my dosing solution is sitting at the bottom of my sump. I seen on Melvs reef he puts a small power head facing up so when it hits, it mixes. Im thinking of doing that. I could turn my skimmer facing that direction and it will suck it up instantly but I dont know if that will cause issues with my skimmer down the road.

Thanks again for your advice and help

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a Varios 4 on my system at level 4 and I still have a powerhead in my return section and in my fuge section just to keep gunk from settling in my sump. Are you dosing solutions at the same time or pretty close to the same time? Sometimes it will precipitate if you don't give it enough time between part 1 and part 2...

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a Varios 4 on my system at level 4 and I still have a powerhead in my return section and in my fuge section just to keep gunk from settling in my sump. Are you dosing solutions at the same time or pretty close to the same time? Sometimes it will precipitate if you don't give it enough time between part 1 and part 2...

I have at least 1hr apart of each other for the part 2. What pump do you use? Im looking for a small and energy efficient pump

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have at least 1hr apart of each other for the part 2. What pump do you use? Im looking for a small and energy efficient pump
I use some old hydor koralia nanos, the 240 version. They're at least a decade old and still kickin!

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So I cleaned my return pump last night and now even on the lowest setting my Durso keeps going up and down then making that flushing sound. If I close my gate valve a little it stops it but then has the potental to clogg.

Even with my 1095gph pump on the lowest setting its causing it. Maybe something is wrong with my Durso? Something I can do to check?

fattiremike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have an old mega flow tank that has two corner overflows with dursos. I have been running this tank for around 10 years, maybe more. I have a FMM and I get 720-730 out of my two dursos. They both drain through two 1" bulkheads in the bottom. So you should expect to flow around half that. I have found some ways to make it flow more than "stock". I make sure that both end pipes are underwater in the sump. For some reason it will flow more that way. I also drilled an extra 1/4 inch hole in the top so more air could get in the standpipe. I put short 2" long airlines in the holes to quiet them. Basically, I am running a controlled siphon, the way I look at it. It's been running that way for years.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hello again,

I went on vacation and came back to my overflow going up and down. Making the flushing sound over and over. I did not change my flow, it’s still on 1/5.

What could’ve happened to make it flush constantly?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back