reef octopus varios 4 flow

Discussion in 'General Equipment, Hardware, Filtration' started by Neo Jeo, May 13, 2019.

1. Sleepydoc

Sleepydoc Well-Known Member

Yeah - You have the same tank I had (have.) I ran a herbie for several years, then when I had to move the tank I cut out the corner flow, drilled the back and put in a coast to coast with a bean animal system. Basically, your options are having an open standpipe, a Durso or running a Herbie with an external return.

From your description, I think the pump is overwhelming the capacity of the Durso and causing it to intermittently siphon, making the level oscillate. If you’re happy with the flow you have now you can just leave it. If you want more flow, I’d covert it to a Herbie.

Neo Jeo likes this.

2. Sleepydoc

Sleepydoc Well-Known Member

Yeah - You have the same tank I had (have.) I ran a herbie for several years, then when I had to move the tank I cut out the corner flow, drilled the back and put in a coast to coast with a bean animal system. Basically, your options are having an open standpipe, a Durso or running a Herbie with an external return.

From your description, I think the pump is overwhelming the capacity of the Durso and causing it to intermittently siphon, making the level oscillate. If you’re happy with the flow you have now you can just leave it. If you want more flow, I’d covert it to a Herbie.

Neo Jeo likes this.
  3. Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Secret Santa Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

Thanks! I agree. Herbie is not out of the questions. Ill run the Durso with the low flow until I see problems. One issue I see is my dosing solution is sitting at the bottom of my sump. I seen on Melvs reef he puts a small power head facing up so when it hits, it mixes. Im thinking of doing that. I could turn my skimmer facing that direction and it will suck it up instantly but I dont know if that will cause issues with my skimmer down the road.

Thanks again for your advice and help

4. Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award Louisiana Reef Club

I run a Varios 4 on my system at level 4 and I still have a powerhead in my return section and in my fuge section just to keep gunk from settling in my sump. Are you dosing solutions at the same time or pretty close to the same time? Sometimes it will precipitate if you don't give it enough time between part 1 and part 2...

5. Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Secret Santa Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

I have at least 1hr apart of each other for the part 2. What pump do you use? Im looking for a small and energy efficient pump

6. Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award Louisiana Reef Club

I use some old hydor koralia nanos, the 240 version. They're at least a decade old and still kickin!

Neo Jeo likes this.
  7. Neo Jeo

So I cleaned my return pump last night and now even on the lowest setting my Durso keeps going up and down then making that flushing sound. If I close my gate valve a little it stops it but then has the potental to clogg.

Even with my 1095gph pump on the lowest setting its causing it. Maybe something is wrong with my Durso? Something I can do to check?

8. fattiremike

fattiremike Member

So, I have an old mega flow tank that has two corner overflows with dursos. I have been running this tank for around 10 years, maybe more. I have a FMM and I get 720-730 out of my two dursos. They both drain through two 1" bulkheads in the bottom. So you should expect to flow around half that. I have found some ways to make it flow more than "stock". I make sure that both end pipes are underwater in the sump. For some reason it will flow more that way. I also drilled an extra 1/4 inch hole in the top so more air could get in the standpipe. I put short 2" long airlines in the holes to quiet them. Basically, I am running a controlled siphon, the way I look at it. It's been running that way for years.

Draft saved Draft deleted