reef outopus octo pluse 4? who's running them?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RS650P with gyres not loving the flow? tank is a LPS dom. mixed reef, but would like to dabble in to some SPS at some point
looking at the octo pules 4 what are you thoughts?
are they good as mp40s better?

I am trying to keep PH off the short end of the peninsula tank. dont need a ton of flow but already bought the gyres and some what disappointed by them so want to get it "right" this time.
thoughts?

Octocat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started off with two fx350s. I like that they can be run very high in the tank but grew to hate them for the constant cleaning and complicated design. Two failed on me as well in around one year of ownership.

I replaced them with 4 pulse 4s and a wave engine. I really like the pumps and haven't had a single issue. I also run some MP40s down low and they are actually very similar pump in terms of the flow they generate. I like using the mp40s down low to keep the wires out of the tank otherwise, the pulse 4 is cheaper and doesnt require as much cleaning (mp pumps have a habit of getting noisy when stuff gets in the magnet area ime). Can't comment on the controller because I haven't used it.

zuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nothing compares to mp's mines just about to turn 8 years old they grow up so fast.
I too had that complaint "you cant point them" these things have the best hands down flow pattern in some cases you can point them right into frogspawn/hammer/torch

joins05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in my 120 and I recently picked up an mp40 this past weekend for the opposite end of the tank to upgrade it from a reefbreeders rp-m. Comparing the 2 pumps you reference, the mp40 is a much wider spread than the octo pulse 4. When I first installed the octo pulse a couple months ago, I found I had to greatly reduce the power on its controller, as in the lowest setting, to prevent it from causing my sand to excavate. I am slowly trying to up the power output some on it.
The first impression of the mp40 is that even though it moves a similar amount of water, the wider spread allows me to run it more fully without the excavation issues I was running into with the pulse 4. It’s definitely a well built pump, but if I had to do it over, I wish I would have spent the extra amount for an mp40 over it to be honest.

Guttersnipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 of the octopulse 4. I think they’re great for the price. They’re very powerful and out a wide flow.

CuseReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hands down I prefer the pulse heads (2/4) over any ETM MP. Heads are built very well and great flow and directional.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in my 120 and I recently picked up an mp40 this past weekend for the opposite end of the tank to upgrade it from a reefbreeders rp-m. Comparing the 2 pumps you reference, the mp40 is a much wider spread than the octo pulse 4. When I first installed the octo pulse a couple months ago, I found I had to greatly reduce the power on its controller, as in the lowest setting, to prevent it from causing my sand to excavate. I am slowly trying to up the power output some on it.
The first impression of the mp40 is that even though it moves a similar amount of water, the wider spread allows me to run it more fully without the excavation issues I was running into with the pulse 4. It’s definitely a well built pump, but if I had to do it over, I wish I would have spent the extra amount for an mp40 over it to be honest.
thanks for your replay. as you own both and are using both its nice to hear your feedback! how do you think they (mp40s) will do on the overflow end of a peninsula tank?

Hands down I prefer the pulse heads (2/4) over any ETM MP. Heads are built very well and great flow and directional.
HA took me a bit to figure out what ETM was....but I got there. lol

joins05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for your replay. as you own both and are using both its nice to hear your feedback! how do you think they (mp40s) will do on the overflow end of a peninsula tank?

HA took me a bit to figure out what ETM was....but I got there. lol
I would think it would work well flow wise. It looks like your tank is very similar dimensions to mine.

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the octopulse 4’s and opted to trade them for 2 more mp40’s. I felt the flow was narrow and really didn’t want the cords. However, I think you’d get better results on the far end of the peninsula with the octopulse.

Back