Reef Patrol: Have you kept an urchin in your marine aquarium?

Have you kept an urchin in your marine aquarium?

• I currently keep an urchin in my tank.

Votes: 292 54.4%
  • I have kept an urchin in my tank.

Votes: 85 15.8%
  • I have plans to keep an urchin in my tank.

Votes: 37 6.9%
  • I am open to the idea of keeping an urchin in my tank.

Votes: 79 14.7%
  • I am not interested in keeping an urchin in my tank.

Votes: 40 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 0.7%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Reef Patrol: Have you kept an urchin in your marine aquarium?

Whether you choose a short-spine, long-spine, tuxedo, or pencil, each of these types of urchins can be an unusual worker to your tank. It is important to know the maximum size for the species and make sure that you have the appropriate space. If you can provide a stable home, then you will likely be rewarded with a creature that will regularly be trimming your algae. Although far from cuddly, their utility, unique look, and sometimes entertaining personalities can make them a special tank resident. Have you kept an urchin in your marine aquarium? If so, let us know about your experiences with them and please share any tips or warnings that may be helpful to others who are considering one.

HeatherSheehan_Urchin.jpeg

Photo by @Heather Sheehan

This QOTD is sponsored by Nutramar: https://www.qualitymarine.com/nutramar/

NutramarBanner.png

“Nutramar’s 100% natural food products are used by public aquaria and breeders around the world. They offer superior nutrition to your most finicky and delicate fish and invertebrates.

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have kept many types in the past and fully plan on getting one in my current tank too! They are very entertaining to watch. When I had my macro algae display tank in the past, my urchin used the caulerpa to completely cover itself as it hid in the algae. Best disguise ever. In fact, second only to picking up a hermit crab to use as body armour lol!

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two tanks two urchins. Wouldn't have a tank without one. They do the work of a herd of snails. All of my coral is attached so no issues and even when it wasn't it never bothered me when they did grab something. I don't like the look of Coraline covering everything and they do a great job of eradicating it and saving me money with dosing copious amounts of alk to feed something I don't want anyway.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always have an urchin or two or three in the tank. I have pencil, varigated, tuxedo and a black spikey (short spine) hitchhiker from some live rock. Cannot have a reef without one.

They do sometimes knock rock over or take some rock/ crabs/snails/algae/coral for decor, but they just want to look pretty.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want coralline algae to spread all over your tank, plan on breeding Banggai cardinals, or if you just like to be occasionally surprised by a new piercing... Long Spine Urchins do all of that and more.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love Tuxedo Urchins and have about six in my 100g and two in my 60g. The plan is to add more when the weather cools a bit for shipping.

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one Tuxedo and one Halloween. They’re my hardest workers but the biggest pain in my butt. They flip frag racks, drag stuff around, take hermits and snails for rides around the tank, and pull equipment off the walls but I wouldn’t trade them for anything. They help keep my tank pretty spotless.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got loads of hitchhiker urchins. They're all pencil urchins, which don't eat much algae, but I still like them. In the near future, I'm going to add a halloween urchin or two.

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PXL_20230506_172814857.MP.jpg
PXL_20230427_153931178.MP.jpg

Had a tux (extremely effective) and a pencil urchin (useless). I rehomed it after months of target feeding when the algae disappeared. Might get another one day if the new tank get algae problems and I don't get more macroalgae.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have four pincushion urchins in my sps tank. This is partly why I don't have any hair algae with 25 nitrate. They are great CUC, but yes, they are mobile frag racks. :grinning-squinting-face:

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love sea urchins! I have two Halloween Urchins, one in my display and the other one in my refugium. I purchased one for my QT tank to keep the algae down and keep him in my sump when the QT tank is offline. He loves it down there, it's an all-you-can-eat buffet!

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted for other, I have got 8 urchins in a 200 gallon tank, bit more than "an urchin". Love urchins even though they move the rockwork around a bit and frogs need to be glued down.
20230621_191030.jpg

Zero_Cool

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Tuxedo and 1 Short Spine Purple. The Tuxedos are always picking up rocks from the sand to wear as armor/camouflage. The purple not so much but he has gotten much bigger.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

• I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • Other.

Back